Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired Levi Strauss' former Senior Vice President Enrique Atienza, reports 9to5Mac. Atienza, who formerly handled Levi's Retail Americas and Global Store Operations, is said to be working as a retail director overseeing multiple regions on the West Coast of the United States.

apple_store_fifth_avenue.jpg
A source says that Atienza will be the director of all retail matters for many regions within the West Coast of the United States, and this role is one of the highest ranking retail positions inside of Apple. Several internal and external candidates were considered for the position, but the external Atienza is said to have been the best fit.
While a Levi Strauss spokeswoman confirmed that Atienza had recently left the company, she declined to comment further on the departure. At Levi Strauss, Atienza was in charge of streamlining the company's global sales approach to create a better customer experience.

9to5Mac also notes that Steve Cano, formerly a retail manager, was promoted to Vice President of Retail Operations earlier in the year. Atienza will report to Cano, who reports directly to Tim Cook.

As Apple beefs up its retail team, the company is still searching for a new retail chief after John Browett was ousted last October as part of a major management restructuring. In August, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was only considering outside candidates for the position.

Apple's retail operations are more important than ever as the company enters into the fall months with a slew of products to reveal. Both the iPhone 5S and the low-cost iPhone 5C are expected to debut in September, with the fifth-generation iPad and the iPad mini coming slightly later in the year.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Levi's Senior VP for Retail Team

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Perhaps the new iPhone will be riveted?

Seriously though, I had thankfully forgotten all about the Browett fiasco until it was mentioned in this article. <shudders>

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Nice to have a SVP* in Retail again, although disappointed that Paul Deneve, head of the Yves Saint Laurent fashion house joining Apple, isn't heading retail. Could been a better fit (pun intended) w/ design edge in line with Johnson's.

*SVP, VP, CP, PP, CCCP - whatever, it's all the same to me.

Last edited:

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Stone-washed iPhone anyone? or iPhone 5(01) now available in a denim (colour) option, perhaps will be riveted?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
We have a Levi's corporate store near me, and it's of my favorite shops. Always well laid out, clean, good staff.

Sounds like a good hire to me.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Levi's is an iconic, highly-regarded brand, though in recent years the company has struggled a bit. While I don't know much of Enrique Atienza, his experience at Levi's will no doubt be valuable to Apple, and I trust he'll be a good fit at Apple if he was a good fit at Levi's.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
New iPhone 5s & 5C, now available in a denim (colour) option.

Very good move. Levi-Strauss has been experimenters with fashion centric wearable technologies over over two decades. They have financed many start-ups playing around placing microprocessors in clothing and wearable accessories with a fashion eye. Most only saw very limited distribution if only private beta testing.

Been told that Levi's corporate is very conscience of it's blue collar / working man image and is not interested in "geeking up the brand" as some have called embracing wearable technologies. Thus, they are avoiding being a fashion company turning into a technology featured company while keeping most of their customer base. IMO, about the only fashion company that successfully did this is Fossil.

Apple on the other hand is a technology company that became a fashion company. I'm sure this'll be a breath of fresh air for the him while also avoiding the commute from the Peninsula into the City. The commute from the Peninsula into Cupertino is not that bad and mostly a counter-commute.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
That's just crazy!

Apple is best at computers, iPhones, software, etc. Their decision to start selling jeans is plain stupid and ridiculous. I'm done with this company.

Android, here I come!

:lol: Not a surprising statement considering some of the other stuff I've been reading!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Levi's is an iconic, highly-regarded brand, though in recent years the company has struggled a bit. While I don't know much of Enrique Atienza, his experience at Levi's will no doubt be valuable to Apple, and I trust he'll be a good fit at Apple if he was a good fit at Levi's.

Between American Eagle, Aeropostale, Ambercrombie, Hollister, PacSun, Gap, Express, Old Navy, Lucky, and lord knows how many others, a company like Levi's is going to feel pinched. I don't think it's an issue of making a quality product, but establishing value and capturing mind-share in a massively crowded market.

Either way, I like my local Levi's stores more than most other retailers.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
My advice for new hires is that the people at the top aren't as smart as you think they are.

Generally they've got a strong work ethic and they eat and breathe their job, but there's nothing "magical" in their thought process.

I see this as just another calculated roll of the die.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nice to have a SVP in Retail again, although disappointed that Paul Deneve, head of the Yves Saint Laurent fashion house joining Apple, isn't heading retail. Could been a better fit (pun intended) w/ design edge in line with Johnson's.

I don't think this guy is an SVP. :confused:

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
That's just crazy!

Apple is best at computers, iPhones, software, etc. Their decision to start selling jeans is plain stupid and ridiculous. I'm done with this company.

Android, here I come!

Are you currently sober?

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Between American Eagle, Aeropostale, Ambercrombie, Hollister, PacSun, Gap, Express, Old Navy, Lucky, and lord knows how many others, a company like Levi's is going to feel pinched. I don't think it's an issue of making a quality product, but establishing value and capturing mind-share in a massively crowded market.

Either way, I like my local Levi's stores more than most other retailers.

There's been a few recent entrants that you didn't even mention that have really hit Levi's hard, copying many of Levi's traditional brand attributes, and they've had some issues trying to be everything to everyone (which is never a good idea when you're maintaining a brand). If they streamline a bit, they can probably regain their place. Even with all the new competition, though, they're a solid brand worn by pretty much everybody at some point in their lives.

But anyway, they're not hiring this guy for their marketing department. I expect his responsibilities will be mainly operational. But he's worked for another company that was very brand-focused, so he'll fit in well with Apple's culture.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
That's just crazy!

Android, here I come!

The new iJeans: Hiding unsightly erections, one nano-chip at a time. ;):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.