Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
fig
macrumors 6502a

Favorite iPad drawing/sketching apps?

I did a search through the iPad Apps forum before posting this question and, as I suspected, it was mostly people trying to sell their apps or people looking for random apps to make hearts and smileys on photos

So for you actual designers and artists, any preferred sketching and drawing apps? I'm looking for something primarily for sketching figures/people and design thumbnails, I've been researching a bit and the way that Paper lets you set up different notebooks seems really useful.

A related question, is anyone doing a lot of sketching on an iPad Mini? My wife has an iPad that I use occasionally but I'm looking to get my own tablet in a month or so (will probably wait for the next update), and I was wondering if the Mini has enough usable area for sketching or if the full size iPad was a better way to go.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
randiferous
macrumors newbie

The sketching app I use is Procreate. I started with Brushes, but now I favor Procreate. I use it for quick sketches of people, landscapes, etc. I'm also excited that Wacom has announced a pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, coming this fall.
randiferous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
sigmadog
macrumors 6502

SketchBook Pro here. It's nice to play with, but I've never been a good finger-painter. Lots of better artists than I have expressed praise for SketchBook Pro, but I have to say I haven't used it much the last year since getting a new Cintiq 22HD (which is awesome, by the way), but I intend to buy a pressure sensitive stylus soon to play with on the iPad, just gotta decide which one.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by randiferous View Post
The sketching app I use is Procreate. I started with Brushes, but now I favor Procreate. I use it for quick sketches of people, landscapes, etc. I'm also excited that Wacom has announced a pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, coming this fall.
Same here. I started with Brushes which I still love but Procreate blows it out of the water.

Procreate also now apparently lets you record your strokes like Brushes does so you have a video of you making your art which is a great feature.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Sketchbook Pro, just for the ability to go from my Mac to iPad.

I've been using Procreate more too, it feels really natural.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
fig
macrumors 6502a

Good stuff, thanks guys. Seems like Procreate is worth checking out, I will give it a look.

I was looking at styluses (stylusi?) and there's a few that look solid, found a nice breakdown of lots of different models on The Verge if anyone else is looking.

And I've got my giant jar collecting change for whenever they announce the next iPad
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Procreate and Paper (Fly 53) are my apps of choice. I'll then use iDraw, which is a good vector app (Mac version also available)

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics