Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Also..how do you best use external flash usb and HD ?

Could you give many example as possible ?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Technically speaking not much is different in how a flash drive and an SSD work. They basically both read and write files without the use of an actual spinning disk.

HOWEVER where a flash drive is designed for external use, and therefore limited in speed by it's interface (USB generally) an SSD is designed for internal use and is, therefore, connected by SATA the same as a regular hard drive. This allows it to utilize it's speed much more efficiently and gets you the fast load times SSD's are known for.

As far as your other question, I'm not really sure how to answer that. How best to use things is entirely dependent on what you are using them for. Personally I don't use flash drives for much but file transfers (to other computers or for watching video on my TV,t hat sorta thing) however I have 2 external HDD's hooked up (1 USB 3.0 and 1 Firewire 800) for containing my backups and media files (movies, pictures, video I'm editing, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.