Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Thought I'd share my experience with Apple lately. I had an issue with my iPhone 5 (from this thread) that the home button was crooked. I go into the Apple store 30 minutes from me a week ago asking if they had anything available (I was in the area anyways). They say no but come back later tonight and we may have something available. "No, sorry, come again another time". I try back the next day, this time scheduling an appointment at the Genius Bar. I go in, right on time, and they tell me MobileMe is down so they can't do anything. That's two trips, no resolution.
Today, I call AppleCare, but not just for a problem with my iPhone but with my Lightning cable too as it no longer charges. I'm told at the beginning that I could send it in for repair after expressing my discomfort and dissatisfaction with going back to the Apple store. For some reason, I have to get transferred to their Senior Advisor with a really long hold. After asking to send both in for repair, I'm left with a simple "no, our only option is to set up an appointment at your nearest Apple store." She also knew of my dissatisfaction. Don't they stress empathy when you're an At Home Advisor? There was none in the call. It lasted 40 minutes and again, no resolution. I might be taking it too far but I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB, just to further express my dissatisfaction.
Just venting. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thought I'd share my experience with Apple lately. I had an issue with my iPhone 5 (from this thread) that the home button was crooked. I go into the Apple store 30 minutes from me a week ago asking if they had anything available (I was in the area anyways). They say no but come back later tonight and we may have something available. "No, sorry, come again another time". I try back the next day, this time scheduling an appointment at the Genius Bar. I go in, right on time, and they tell me MobileMe is down so they can't do anything. That's two trips, no resolution.
Today, I call AppleCare, but not just for a problem with my iPhone but with my Lightning cable too as it no longer charges. I'm told at the beginning that I could send it in for repair after expressing my discomfort and dissatisfaction with going back to the Apple store. For some reason, I have to get transferred to their Senior Advisor with a really long hold. After asking to send both in for repair, I'm left with a simple "no, our only option is to set up an appointment at your nearest Apple store." She also knew of my dissatisfaction. Don't they stress empathy when you're an At Home Advisor? There was none in the call. It lasted 40 minutes and again, no resolution. I might be taking it too far but I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB, just to further express my dissatisfaction.

Applecare tech support can't fix everything over the phone..like a possibly defective cable. Go to the Store, or send it in for repair. Phone techs can't fix your cable.

If you want empathy, go to a counselor. Apple techs are there to offer help with problems that lend themselves to repair with phone instruction...not to be your friend, or an empathic support advisor.

As someone said about having a friend in Washington, DC...if you want a friend, get a dog.:)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Shrink, Shrank, Shrunk.

well, that abouts wraps it up then. seems like were all done here.

best of luck with the new dog. leashes are WAY easier than Lightning Cables. :D

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Applecare tech support can't fix everything over the phone..like a possibly defective cable. Go to the Store, or send it in for repair. Phone techs can't fix your cable.

If you want empathy, go to a counselor. Apple techs are there to offer help with problems that lend themselves to repair with phone instruction...not to be your friend, or an empathic support advisor.

As someone said about having a friend in Washington, DC...if you want a friend, get a dog.:)

I already have 3. :)

appleford

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
Floriduh
bad experience with applecare

Squilly, I understand your frustration. Bought a mini 2 1/2 years ago. Bought applecare, mouse, keyboard and trackpad at same time. Had trouble with mini since day one. after about 20 calls to applecare over the first year, the finally admitted it was hardware related, set up appt. with genius bar. Arrived on time for my appt, they told me this other person had been waiting for help, took her first and made me wait 40 minutes for my appt, then gave me crap for being late?! Kept mini for a week and a half, replaced HDD and gave it back to me empty, not even an OS on it? I demanded the start it up and found this out. They acted like the village idiot and didn't know what to do, I told them to copy from my old drive which they had. One hour later they give it back to me and I make them wipe the old drive like they are supposed too ( its hidden in terms) Doesn't fix problem, over the last year and a half, another 10 or 12 calls, each at least 2 hours and three more trips to genius bar and each time they keep it for at least a week. I have been to 2 different genius bars, both equally rude and stupid. Before the last visit they told me 3 repairs and if still broken they will replace. At the 4th visit, it was the actually have to replace a piece of hardware to qualify for replacement. Now its software and hardware, not sure which, so I have to submit capture report to engineering and wait. 2 1/2 yrs with $600 paperweight. Applecare sucks. Oh, keyboard broke, they wouldn't replace it even though it's covered, I have read the terms a few times now. Just built a I 5 16gb over clocked, Win 7 gamer for about the same price.10 times faster and in 2 months not a hiccup. That $169 for applecare would buy a good video card on sale, 2gb, 2 HDMI out etc. that would put apple to shame. NEVER AGAIN, I am pissed!!!! Horrible treatment after 2 minis, 1 iMac 27", I Phone 4, 4s, 5 all with applecare.:mad:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Squilly, I understand your frustration. Bought a mini 2 1/2 years ago. Bought applecare, mouse, keyboard and trackpad at same time. Had trouble with mini since day one. after about 20 calls to applecare over the first year, the finally admitted it was hardware related, set up appt. with genius bar. Arrived on time for my appt, they told me this other person had been waiting for help, took her first and made me wait 40 minutes for my appt, then gave me crap for being late?! Kept mini for a week and a half, replaced HDD and gave it back to me empty, not even an OS on it? I demanded the start it up and found this out. They acted like the village idiot and didn't know what to do, I told them to copy from my old drive which they had. One hour later they give it back to me and I make them wipe the old drive like they are supposed too ( its hidden in terms) Doesn't fix problem, over the last year and a half, another 10 or 12 calls, each at least 2 hours and three more trips to genius bar and each time they keep it for at least a week. I have been to 2 different genius bars, both equally rude and stupid. Before the last visit they told me 3 repairs and if still broken they will replace. At the 4th visit, it was the actually have to replace a piece of hardware to qualify for replacement. Now its software and hardware, not sure which, so I have to submit capture report to engineering and wait. 2 1/2 yrs with $600 paperweight. Applecare sucks. Oh, keyboard broke, they wouldn't replace it even though it's covered, I have read the terms a few times now. Just built a I 5 16gb over clocked, Win 7 gamer for about the same price.10 times faster and in 2 months not a hiccup. That $169 for applecare would buy a good video card on sale, 2gb, 2 HDMI out etc. that would put apple to shame. NEVER AGAIN, I am pissed!!!! Horrible treatment after 2 minis, 1 iMac 27", I Phone 4, 4s, 5 all with applecare.:mad:

Helluva story. Worse than mine. It's true though. Although, sometimes I have gotten nice treatment (recently not though). They're slipping, in my book.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Helluva story. Worse than mine. It's true though. Although, sometimes I have gotten nice treatment (recently not though). They're slipping, in my book.

Do you think they may have been talking to friends in Poland and this may have influenced your latest experience?

KGB:cool:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Went to the Apple store, Genius was really nice. Didn't care that I had iOS 7 on there, we even talked about it and jailbreaks. Replaced phone and lightning cable, no question. :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Probably not the greatest experience, but a non Apple company would probably be worse. At least they have been, in my experience.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Seriously, have either of you guys ever come across the concept of the paragraph? Really, paragraphs are a very good idea when writing large blocs of text, as they break up the text, and offer natural steps - like a breath taken when reading aloud - when proceeding to the next point, or argument in the body of the text.

Besides which, have you any idea of how physically difficult it is to read large blocs of text which are typed without a paragraph break? Moreover, there is the argument of aesthetics. Simply put, paragraphs make written text look better, nicer, more legible and much more attractive.

Bravo, mon vieux. Nice post.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Related.

Maybe You Get Bad Customer Service Because You're a Bad Customer

I could have taken a picture of you and posted it here to publicly shame you, but I didn't. That's because I am not trying to be vindictive, ma'am. I'd merely like to answer that question you posed. This can be what the politicians call a "teachable moment" for you and everyone like you.

See, I was in line at that particular fast food establishment yesterday. You probably didn't notice me -- I assume you didn't notice any of us from the way you blatantly barged to the front. I was about to tap you on the shoulder and politely explain how lines are supposed to work in a civilized society, but I could tell you were in the throes of an ungodly rage. I figured this must be an emergency. My God, you were practically foaming at the mouth. I thought maybe someone at the counter had killed your dog, or framed you for a murder you didn't commit, or urinated in your oatmeal this morning. Obviously something serious was going on.

Then you suddenly screamed, "NO ketchup! I said NO ketchup!"

Okay, so maybe this wasn't a dire situation. It was a condiment situation. Not exactly life or death, but close enough, I guess. The girl at the cash register looked confused. I don't blame her, some irate middle aged woman just barreled in the door yelling about ketchup. She asked you for some clarification, which was reasonable, but apparently you didn't think so.

"What's wrong with you people?! I just sat in the drive thru for ten minutes and now I have to come in here because you guys can't understand ******** English! I ordered this burger with NO ketchup but of course I get it with gobs of ketchup. Unbelievable. This happens every ******** time!"

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Most issues are worse than yours. You don't have a technical issue. It's purely cosmetic and the first time coming in without the appointment is on you. None of this story qualifies as a bad Apple Care/Apple experience. The cable seems to have been brought up later on in the game. Almost as if the button "issue" was not being resolved to your satisfaction. I would wager a guess and say the only satisfaction you sought was a new phone. On top of that, I think your constant driving of the point where you are uncomfortable (oddly so) and dissatisfied was nothing more than a ploy to make something from nothing.

Went to the Apple store, Genius was really nice. Didn't care that I had iOS 7 on there, we even talked about it and jailbreaks. Replaced phone and lightning cable, no question. :)
This is what happens. You make an appointment, you go in, you explain all issues, and 99.9% of the time people will walk away happy. Those who are unhappy are likely asking for something that is not a reasonable request.

Well I would say what else can be said that hasn't been said, really.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I wasn't expecting a new phone. Fixing the phone would be fine. Replacement just adds as an extra win.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Kinda surprised they didn't just tell you to get one off a pallet being held by UPS. ;)

Merrybell

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013

While I'm very late to the party that was this thread, I'm compelled to reply regardless.

I'm not sure why your post is getting so many callous responses, but I'm shocked to read about the terrible treatment you received from Apple's staff - not once - but on THREE separate occasions over such a brief period of time. I cannot vouch for the typical service provided by Apple Retail Stores, but I am currently employed as an advisor.

I'll admit that I'm still relatively new, but your telephone call with AppleCare sounds unacceptable on so many levels. None of that would be taken lightly if upper management ever got wind of either advisors' behavior. I can only be left to guess as to why your problem was so rudely received before it was dismissed entirely. Maybe the advisor you spoke with was one of those uncommon "bad apples" in the bunch, but the senior advisor, too?! Now I find THAT hard to believe - er, that's not to say I don't believe you - I do.

Maybe you were just unlucky that day? Maybe you called during a REALLY busy queue and both of your advisors happened to be sick, exhausted, and/or miserable. Fair enough. Still! That would only explain the awful attitudes and why you may have been placed on hold for so long! It doesn't explain why neither advisor offered to set up a mail-in repair for you.

From what I've gathered, it sounds as though both of your products are CLEARLY defective. It's not even one of those cases of careless accidental damage, although that doesn't excuse anyone either; this is damage covered under AppleCare's hardware warranty! That's all our bad, not yours. Fixing problems like yours is exactly what we're paid to do.

Okay, then I thought maybe AppleCare's systems were down that day. That's a possibility. If so, it may have been impossible to process a mail-in repair for anyone, but I'm skeptical about that as well. Did the Tier 1 advisor explain why he/she was transferring you to a senior advisor in the first place?

Tier 1 AHAs are more than capable of arranging a mail-in repair without Tier 2's supervision. I'll admit that having the repair done at an Apple retail store is a lot faster, but why did no one explain the other repair options available to you?

If the system was down, I hope I'd at least have the decency to let you know about it and apologize for the huge inconvenience. You were already mistreated twice at the retail store! In light of those two separate - yet equally unsuccessful - trips, I'm ashamed to hear about both advisors' failures to step up and take ownership of your case. Neither of them took the opportunity to make things right like they should have.

Now, if I were in either of their shoes, I'd try my best to guess when our systems would be back up and running, so that we could finally make the proper arrangements to get your repair underway. I'd offer to schedule a call back for you right around that time. It's no guarantee, but it's something, right?!

This probably won't mean much now, but I would like to deeply apologize on Apple's behalf. I hope you'll give AppleCare support another shot to take you and resolving your problems more seriously in the future. If or when you do, and you feel that the Tier 1 advisor is rude again, you should ask to speak to a senior advisor. I'm pretty sure that all of us over at Tier 1 are REQUIRED to honor such requests.

Oh yeah, and however unlikely, should you get transferred to a senior advisor who is just as uncooperative as the first, I encourage you to hang up on them. Hang up and call the support line back for another AHA. I could be misguided, but I believe the majority of AppleCare's staff WANT to help you! It's unfortunate how a couple of exceptions to the norm left such a bad taste in your mouth, albeit understandably so, regarding Apple support. Please feel free to PM me if you ever think of anything I could do that would begin to compensate for the negative encounters you've had with AppleCare support thus far.

P.S. Try to remember the unhelpful advisor's name if you can, check your inbox for a survey from Apple, and let them have it! Every single survey submitted is read and reviewed by AppleCare's upper management. If it falls into the "very dissatisfied" spectrum in any category, the team manager of the advisor linked to the DSAT will ALWAYS go back and personally listen to the recording of the call in order to determine whether or not the customer's dissatisfaction was the direct result of misconduct on the advisor's part.

Whether the advisor is guilty or not, he/she is then scheduled a mandatory one-on-one meeting with said
team manager to discuss the call, where disciplinary action is taken if necessary. Long story short: Apple takes how well you're treated and supported by its staff VERY seriously. I would definitely make it a point to fill out every survey they send out, especially if an employee treated you poorly.

I do have to stress that you really try remembering the name associated with the survey. Check to make sure that's the name on the e-mail! The only reason I even know about the severe impact one negative survey can yield is because I recently got my first "very dissatisfied" survey.

The customer didn't seem to notice the survey was asking about her experience with me, not the T2 advisor I was forced to transfer her over to! She even left me a compliment in the comment section before returning to her main goal: ripping the T2 a new one. I had to go the dreaded meeting anyway! I almost got into trouble until my manager listened to the call and found I was innocent. However, I still have to keep the DSAT on my record, which has single handily murdered my metrics (and yes, they do matter).

But, I digress, please be careful about who you're slapping with that ruthless DSAT, all right? You know the deal: great power... great responsibility - yadda, yadda. You get the idea! :p Even though Apple is a massive company, each and every survey DOES make a difference! It gives every customer a voice, so please use it wisely!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
While I'm very late to the party that was this thread, I'm compelled to reply regardless.

<snip>

Thanks for the detailed response. I don't remember the advisors name, mainly as this was months ago. One thing I do remember though is complaining to the BBB. At last on the third/fourth visit, my iPhone was repaired. Expressed my discontent with the BBB and got a response from Executive Customer Relations. Zero sympathy in the email. Just something like "this customers iPhone has been replaced" with a little yada after that. I have a feeling it's something on my profile (maybe in AppleCare notes) causing the poor service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.