Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
dagdagdag234
macrumors regular

Is Dropbox still the best for cloud storage?

Just curious to hear people's thoughts. I haven't found any recent posts discussing Dropbox vs google drive vs box vs sky-whatever its called etc...

I back up all my photos and videos , now at 21gb, so I subscribe to Dropbox 100gb.

If I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price? (Other than the fact that I'd have to upload everything to a new cloud service if I switch)

Would love to hear other people's thoughts about Dropbox or other services they've used.

Thanks!
dagdagdag234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:53 AM   #2
c1phr
macrumors 6502

I personally love Dropbox. I don't have issues with the space I have, and I'm still using the free edition (albeit with 13+gb of space) and it's never failed me on any platform (Windows, OSX, Linux, Android and iOS).
Steam Hardware Beta Machine(#96/300)
64GB Sprint iPhone 6 | 64GB T-Mo riPad Mini
c1phr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdagdag234 View Post
Just curious to hear people's thoughts. I haven't found any recent posts discussing Dropbox vs google drive vs box vs sky-whatever its called etc...
...Skydrive.

I have them all, but rarely use the 'others'. I use mainly Dropbox. But as my 2Gb are near capacity I may consider to put some large files that I don't really need onto one of the other service.
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:25 AM   #4
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

i got like 25 GB free with my HTC One so in total I have like 30 GB all for free so it's pretty awesome. Wouldn't consider using anything else
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:38 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I've used Dropbox, SkyDrive, Mozy, Google Drive and recently Copy.com. While others offer more free storage, I find Dropbox has more integration with many of my preferred apps, and is more commonly used by those I share file with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
I have them all, but rarely use the 'others'. I use mainly Dropbox. But as my 2Gb are near capacity I may consider to put some large files that I don't really need onto one of the other service.
You can get a lot more than 2GB free with Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/help/15
https://www.dropbox.com/help/287
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

I have a couple of paid storage services and a number of free ones. My Dropbox account provides 3.75 GB storage free of charge. Unlike the other services, I actually use Dropbox. It just works. Not only does it just work, it is saving me money. I no longer use USB thumb drives to transport and synchronize files between home and work. Whatever is in my Dropbox folder is automatically synchronized among my Macs, Windows computers, iPhones, iPads, and my [free] account on Dropbox's server.
MisterMe is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Still loving DropBox here

I use Google Drive, SugarSync, Box for a few things, but DropBox is my workhorse

Could not function without DropBox and Evernote
MacDawg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
alexandreds
macrumors newbie

I moved recently to Copy, it offers 15go.

Allowing me to store bigger files than Dropbox. I have nothing against Dropbox maybe just a little disappointed by all the PRISM thingy.

Last edited by OllyW; Aug 22, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: removed referral link
alexandreds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is Dropbox still the best for cloud storage?
Quote:
if I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price?
Best and worth are always highly subjective. What are your criteria? You only seem to mention space and cost. Are those your only concerns?

Like GGJstudios, integration is a priority for me and Dropbox is my choice for that reason.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
MeUnix
macrumors 6502

I've been in love with Dropbox since I started using it. Prices may be a little higher than its competitors but the integration is what keeps me their fan.
MeUnix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:51 AM   #11
pinchvalve
macrumors newbie

Box.com

I use Dropbox (130GB of free space, get your friends to join!) but have recently established an account with Box.com for work. Many more options for permissions, security, etc. I had too many problems with people deleting and moving shared files. Not the fault of Dropbox, it is a collaboration service, not a hosting service. Box has a free membership option with 5GB.
pinchvalve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Hookemfins
macrumors regular

I love Sugar Sync. It's the only one I use. I get 5 GB free plus more for referrals. If I want to sync a folder to the cloud all I do is right click and sync. And it's easy to sync from or to my iPad or iPhone.
iPhone 5
Hookemfins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
steve knight
macrumors 65816

one thing I see on dropbox is the versioning service. I can go back and get a older version of a file no matter how old. this has saved me so many times. I had a 10 gig account and versioning and they gave it all to me for free.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:51 PM   #14
maxosx
macrumors 68020

It's all a matter of personal preference. I use a few different clouds yet I've found Dropbox the best by a wide margin.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Dropbox get my vote because of the integration.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:59 AM   #16
maflynn

I like dropbox the best but, I will say like Apple they offer a meager amount of storage. I'm up to 7.8GB of storage but I really could use more
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #17
Hookemfins
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrottie View Post
Dropbox get my vote because of the integration.
SugarSync integrates just as easily as Dropbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchvalve View Post
I had too many problems with people deleting and moving shared files. Not the fault of Dropbox, it is a collaboration service, not a hosting service.
SugarSync keeps your deleted files. Either on the web or using the Mac/PC app you can review deleted files and get rid of them all or individually as you are running low on space.

I've tried all the top cloud sync services and SugarSync is best. Give it a try if you haven't already. Right click on file or folder and you are synced. The process is seamless.

I'm not looking for referrals. I feel very strongly that for some reason Dropbox gets too much favoritism over SugarSync.
iPhone 5
Hookemfins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:51 PM   #18
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
It just works.
This. I recently signed up for AT&T Locker, and the user experience is so slow and poorly designed that it's worthless. Box isn't much better. I have Skydrive and Google Drive, but Dropbox has been so user-friendly that I haven't felt much need to use them.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:41 PM   #19
MacHead84
macrumors member

We use it for work and share the same account with 4 people in 3 different countries.
3 of them are Windows user and I am a Mac user.
If someone add, edit or delete a file it automatically does it on all our computers.
Dropbox is very nice. No problems at all.

Regards,
MacHead84
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:25 AM   #20
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I back up all my photos and videos , now at 21gb, so I subscribe to Dropbox 100gb.

If I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price? (Other than the fact that I'd have to upload everything to a new cloud service if I switch)

Would love to hear other people's thoughts about Dropbox or other services they've used.

Thanks!
Dropbox is great.

Are you looking for a sharing/collaboration provider or a backup provider?

IMO backing up to Dropbox is not the purpose of Dropbox.

Different products/services were designed with different goals.

Some for sharing and collaborating and others for backup.

Decide what is your goal, then we can recommend the best service for your needs.
spacepower7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:16 PM   #21
dagdagdag234
macrumors regular

I use it to back up work files (which don't take up much space) and my family videos and photos (which is up to about 19gbs)

I have been paying for 100gb $9.99 monthly for Dropboxwhich would drop to $100 a year if I pay on a yearly basis.

I don't really need a collaborative service- occasionally I send files via Dropbox links but they are small files

Sugar sync sounds decent too, it's just hard to tell what the advantages are

Thanks
dagdagdag234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:33 AM   #22
aaronhead14
macrumors member

GET SPACEMONKEY. That is all. http://www.spacemonkey.com
aaronhead14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:17 AM   #23
iThinksimple
macrumors member

personally i'am using Dropbox & iCloud, and it just works,
but if you want alternative for free plan cloud storage that also provides Mac OS X compatible desktop client, you might check this list http://bit.ly/Mjy4Bq
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:12 AM   #24
MathBunny123
macrumors regular

Personally I use MediaFire, because I got 50GB for free for some reason (), while I didn't do any recommendations.

I tried DropBox, but personally I'm not much of a fan of it. However, ALL of my friends use DropBox.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Dokk
macrumors regular

I've been a big advocate of Dropbox for a long time, but I've recently made the switch over to Copy for multiple reasons.

First, there's a lot more permanent free space. If you sign up with a referral link, you get an extra 5GB -- which gives you 20GB to start. You get another 5GB at the moment for each friend you get to signup, as well. The web interface is a bit more intuitive and useful than Dropbox's. And -- and this is key for me -- you have more control over *how* you share files, including the ability to specify read/write permissions. The finder integration is good (I'd say on par with Dropbox). On the downside, not as many apps have made use of Copy as do Dropbox (but I suspect that'll change). They're run by a good company with a strong security record (Barracuda) and I've had zero problems with the service or the apps (on my Macs and my iPhone). You can signup at http://copy.com for the standard 15GB of space.

Last edited by dejo; Aug 27, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: removed referral request.
Dokk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store