Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Reuters Also Confirms Gold iPhone, Speculates on Potential China Popularity

Reuters has added to the long list of confirmations and claims that Apple will introduce a gold variant of iPhone with its next device - the iPhone 5S. The report cites supply chain sources in Taiwan for the information.

This follows a research note last week in which KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo stated that Apple would offer an iPhone in a gold casing in addition to the more traditional black and white. TechCrunch's MG Siegler followed up with his own claims and AllThingsD and 9to5Mac soon followed.
Gold iPhone 5S mockup. (Source: iMore)Siegler speculated that a gold iPhone could be an effort to upsell customers in emerging markets like India and China, where gold is popular, where the low-cost iPhone 5C is expected to be a significant device. Reuters interviewed Jerry Zou, Senior VP and Partner at public relations firm FleishmanHillard in Beijing, whether a gold device would appeal to Chinese customers.
Quote:
Commercially it makes sense, said Jerry Zou, Senior VP and Partner at FleishmanHillard, a public relations firm in Beijing. New colors would add "novelty and variety, both of which are key to winning over fickle Chinese consumers.
Zou went on to say that a champagne or gold color would be able to portray a luxury or high-end image that was also more restrained and subtle. Most of the customers Reuters interviewed at Apple's Xidan store, however, weren't sold on the idea of a gold iPhone, and consumers in India were "just as skeptical."

Reuters also spoke to Brandon Edwards, a Shanghai-based product designer who believes that a gold iPhone may only add cultural relevance for Apple's existing customers in the country rather than attract new ones who are using other smartphone brands.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 5S at an event on September 10, with a fingerprint sensor and perhaps a new 128 GB maximum storage capacity being other significant additions besides the new gold color option.

Article Link: Reuters Also Confirms Gold iPhone, Speculates on Potential China Popularity
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

So gold it is. I can't wait! 
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Not really to my taste but it doesn't actually look that bad in these photos.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Has anyone actually seen anything other than the buttons for this? lets see a picture of the back already. and I don't mean the one with the apple logo blurred out. I have a hard time believing the authenticity of that pic.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

If the gold iPhone is the only phone that has something I want then I might consider getting a case to hide that it is gold.
BornAgainMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #6
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
mock up, not photo. hopefully it is accurate.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
c1phers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Has anyone actually seen anything other than the buttons for this? lets see a picture of the back already. and I don't mean the one with the apple logo blurred out. I have a hard time believing the authenticity of that pic.
It says in the pic, quick and dirty mockup... meaning its just a render based on speculation....
c1phers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

The Gold and Rose will be for women and the international market in my opinion. This is the consumer stance, but Apple's business stance perceives the Gold &/or Rose to harness production differentiation of marketing a superior or inferior product in a product lineup.

These 2 colors along with silver have different meanings of quality in different cultures. I just see the color being introduced to give more of an option for the 5S if the 5C had color options - Apple wants to create product differentiation while not hindering any potential sale to the new high-end iPhone 5S.
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
sputnikv
macrumors regular

this will be popular with women
sputnikv is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:06 AM   #10
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

I'm more excited about the 5c. Wether I get one depends on price, features etc but I haven't heard anything about the S that has excited me.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:07 AM   #11
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
I I had to list the top words I have read mostly on 2013 here in this forum it would be.....

1- Mac Pro
2- Flat Design
3- Steve wouldn't...
4-iPad mini Retina
5- Safari feels snapier...

Andf recently the gold iPhone and China are making the way into this list.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Serban
macrumors 68030

So this colour will be available like the other 2 in every country ? Or will be only for some in limited supplies ?
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Yes, I don't think this is a big deal. I think it looks OK here as well: http://imgur.com/a/uisq6

It's so subtle that I wouldn't really call it gold. Champagne is better. It's like a metallic beige or tan color.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Supposedly these are leaked photos.
T5BRICK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:13 AM   #15
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

This rumored gold/champagne iPhone5S is generating a lot of buzz. Everywhere I look, there's a column about it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Abobrek
macrumors member

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	429499

This is the champagne 5S compared to both white and black iPhone 5 models.
This image originally appears on 9to5Mac.com along with other photos.
Abobrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:19 AM   #17
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
So this colour will be available like the other 2 in every country ? Or will be only for some in limited supplies ?
yes
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #18
NightFox
macrumors 68000

The 128GB rumour seems to also be gaining momentum, but unlike lots of the other leaks (such as the gold case, fingerprint reader and 5C), I'm not sure where the 128GB rumour even started - or was it just wishful thinking that's gathered pace along with the other rumours?

So is there any good substance behind the 128GB thing, have any of the 'good' analysts or in-the-know commenters mentioned this?

After what so many have said about the gold iPhone, it would be an interesting dilemma if the 128GB was only available in gold
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:26 AM   #19
hydr
macrumors regular

Love how all the commentators are speculating about increased sales based on the notion that people would actually buy solely based on color. Hilarious!

Sure gold is popular in Asia, but come on.
hydr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:27 AM   #20
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

If only the chamfers and the back is gold then my case would hide most of it. I'd only see it through the camera and mute holes.

Seems like most people get cases for their phones. Maybe the gold should have been on the front plates. Not my concern though. I'm not ever getting a gold one
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Wow some deep reporting there by Reuters.

Lets see, every day when I'm driving down the road in middle America I see champagne colored vehicles. And the drivers are not Asian.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #22
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

To me it seems that a rose colored silver phone would be way more popular with women than a gold one. I think adding a hint of pink to the white/silver model would look classy and appeal to a larger audience.

Hoping if it is gold, it stays in those markets where they like gold. To me it's like yellow gold jewelry, it has gone out of style. Just my thoughts.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:48 AM   #23
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Apple marketing team going after the huge Rapper-Saudi market...

/sarcasm.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Most of the customers Reuters interviewed at Apple's Xidan store, however, weren't sold on the idea of a gold iPhone, and consumers in India were "just as skeptical."
You tell people it's a gold colored phone, and they say they don't like it. You show people pictures of a champaign colored phone, and most people like / love it. I wish all these news articles would describe it as champaign colored since champaign colored is not the same as gold colored.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpboy74 View Post
I'm more excited about the 5c. Wether I get one depends on price, features etc but I haven't heard anything about the S that has excited me.
Nobody knows yet where the 5C will be sold. It will probably be available but it was designed for emerging markets. I believe also that it will only be sold with 16GB while the 5S will be sold with 32 / 64 / 128 GB.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #25
kenetic
macrumors regular

What can we store in a 128GB iPhone? I have a 32GB and it didn't fill it up yet.
kenetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion