Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS Gameplay Capture Platform Kamcord Secures Over $1 Million in Funding, Announces Community Features

iOS gameplay capture platform Kamcord has announced it has secured over $1 million in funding and is introducing new features for users such as a community website to browse videos on the service and a new UI for developers allowing them to upload playlists and share videos, reports 9to5Mac. Other new features such as likes, comments, and user profiles on the service's website will begin to roll out in the coming weeks.

Quote:
We spoke with CEO Matt Zitzmann about some new features coming to the service today and he also filled us in on the progress the company has made since rolling out a new voice overlay feature back in June. Not only has the service reached an impressive 1 billion gameplay videos recorded (up from 500 million in June), Zitzmann also tells us the company is experiencing developers switching from rival in-game recording platforms due to a much higher rate of gameplay videos shared to social networks.
With its additional $1 million in funding, Kamcord now has total seed funding of $2.5 million, with investors such as Google Ventures, Y Combinator, and Merus Capital. The service currently supports over 70 games and offers its SDKs for free on its downloads page.

Article Link: iOS Gameplay Capture Platform Kamcord Secures Over $1 Million in Funding, Announces Community Features
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

I feel like this is doomed to be sherlocked, like OpenFeint.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
NightFox
macrumors 68000

I'm curious - with the sandboxed nature of iOS, especially for 3rd party apps, how does an app like this even work? Or does it require a jailbroken device?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Fuzzi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
I'm curious - with the sandboxed nature of iOS, especially for 3rd party apps, how does an app like this even work? Or does it require a jailbroken device?
it only works with games that include their framework
Fuzzi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
SamuraiSam213
macrumors newbie

Clarifying the confusion

Last I heard, they were live in over 115 games. Kamcord is an SDK. So developers integrate the SDK into their game which allows users to share the gameplay that's recorded.
SamuraiSam213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Parystec
macrumors member

$2.5 million

I could think of better things to do with $2.5 million
Parystec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Jeaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parystec View Post
I could think of better things to do with $2.5 million
Like develop a good gameplay capture software for OSX :-)
Jeaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:00 AM   #8
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

I guess I'm either confused or late to the game. Besides commercial uses ("Here's a walk through of how to beat King Koopa") what is the point of recording yourself playing a video game?
TheRealTVGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion