Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
ASCII String Dump?

I'd like a utility that acts kind of like

Code:
hexdump -c
But instead of mixing in the ASCII with everything else, I'd like it to only print the ASCII.

It could have a bit of intelligence, only considering something to be ASCII if it's part of a sequence that contains at least two alphanumeric ASCII characters.

Then I would like it to insert line breaks between each sequence when it outputs it.

I'd like this utility so that I can easily find all the ASCII strings any file contains (specially, I'd like to see what strings a .mpg contains and what a .dll contains - I'm trying to find a way of determining what codecs the .dll file recognizes, and I'm hoping that it involves some ASCII strings.)
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Code:
man strings
chown33 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Code:
man strings
Thanks. I had worked out an algorithm and started writing it in C but stopped when I saw your post. Interestingly, it looks like the algorithm they used produced the exact same results as mine (or at least my algorithm wouldn't have removed anything there's didn't.)

I was assigning point values to characters. Symbols got 1 and alphanumeric got 2... everything else got 0. Contiguous sections of symbols and alphanumeric that added up to at least 4 would get printed, and a line break would be entered when it swapped from printing to not printing.

But it looks like I need not implement it because someone else already did. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming