Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Popular WWII air combat game Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders was named as Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, the $4.99 app can be downloaded for free for the next seven days.

First launched in late 2012, Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders allows players to participate in dogfights, protect cities, and bomb enemy structures. The in-game locations are based on real areas like Pearl Harbor, Coast of Dover, Germany, and France and detailed WWII planes are used.

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders has iCloud and AirPlay support, along with several different online modes that are both cooperative and competitive. The game was also featured as one of Apple's 2013 Design Award winners.

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders is universal and will be free for 7 days in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders' Named App of the Week, Available for Free
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Have it great game.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Solid. Downloading now.

Wha...?

Blasted 50MB limit!

Oh well, used to be 25..
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4
AppleFan360
macrumors 68000

Great game! Suggest downloading. Very easy for most people.
AppleFan360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

I HATE IN APP PURCHASES... It will be deleted....
iThinkIt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkIt View Post
Who said there were in-app purchases? Are there? Considering how the game is typically $5, I can't imagine any potential in-app purchases would be very essential to the gameplay.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Otis Bagotis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Who said there were in-app purchases? Are there? Considering how the game is typically $5, I can't imagine any potential in-app purchases would be very essential to the gameplay.
There's actually lots of IAP. Unlock planes, weapons, levels. It's a little absurd. They should make things like that unlockable via gameplay as well. People don't respond well to that much IAP.
Otis Bagotis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Baumi
macrumors member

Question

Question from a German to the native English speakers around here: Does the name "Sky Gamblers" sound as silly to you as it does to me?

I don't know why, but the sound of that title has been enough to dissuade me from buying any of the games in the series so far.
Baumi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Bagotis View Post
There's actually lots of IAP. Unlock planes, weapons, levels. It's a little absurd. They should make things like that unlockable via gameplay as well. People don't respond well to that much IAP.
Well if I find the game that normally isn't free restricted without making in-app purchases, I will write a review warning people about it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
Question from a German to the native English speakers around here: Does the name "Sky Gamblers" sound as silly to you as it does to me?

I don't know why, but the sound of that title has been enough to dissuade me from buying any of the games in the series so far.
It does, a little, but no more so than something like "Call of Duty".
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Scrumper
macrumors member

The IAPs are not essential to the game play and I have found that things like new planes are unlocked periodically as one progresses through the levels, gets promoted and gains points.

It's a great game but rather addictive. I paid £2.99 for mine but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. I'm just waiting for Cold War to become free now!
Scrumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Folks can make fun of the name or bemoan IAPs (which you don't need btw), but this is a great game at $4.99 and even better at free!

The graphics are fantastic, gameplay is easy and fun, multiple game play options, plane dynamics are great too. It's not a full simulator - more arcade style.

It's worth a shot.

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:19 PM   #13
NOS2U
macrumors member

one of my favorite games on iOS. Detail if fantastic. I paid $1.99 when it was on sale. I've enjoyed playing it.....
NOS2U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Molecule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
Yes, it does.

----------

If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue?

I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't.

Molecule
Molecule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:18 AM   #15
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecule View Post
…..If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue? I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't. Molecule
Nope…..That's why it's only for a week; buzz and IAP probably make up for some of that revenue loss.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:09 AM   #16
DrNeroCF
macrumors 6502

Yeeah that's a terrible name...

Also, 'In Game Footage'? Really? Game's going to have to look way better than that to think it needs to convince me that the video is realtime. Mobile was supposed to surpass last gen consoles how long ago? And the flag at the beginning is waving backwards
DrNeroCF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:56 AM   #17
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Nope…..That's why it's only for a week; buzz and IAP probably make up for some of that revenue loss.
The buzz is a huge benefit. Word of mouth brings in more sales after the free week.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:56 AM   #18
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Bagotis View Post
People don't respond well to that much IAP.
Have you seen the list of top grossing games on the App Store? 43 out of 50 are 'Free'.
mw360 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:23 PM   #19
slapppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkIt View Post
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. I avoid those IAP maddening games also.
slapppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:10 AM   #20
Molecule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
The buzz is a huge benefit. Word of mouth brings in more sales after the free week.
Not if everybody's already bought it during the week :P

Does Apple get the Developer's permission first before doing this?
Molecule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 05:17 AM   #21
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yes, it does.

----------

If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue?

I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't.

Molecule
I don't often use IAP, and won't in this game. However, it was so good that I've bought another game in the series, one that I would never have bought if I didn't get this one for free.

So, they do make money, just in different ways.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 05:29 AM   #22
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Not if everybody's already bought it during the week :P

Does Apple get the Developer's permission first before doing this?
Not everyone buys it during the free week

No, I don't think Apple get's their permission. Usually it's to the developer's benefit. But not always.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:00 AM   #23
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. I avoid those IAP maddening games also.
I got the game to try it out, most of the IAP are optional, extra planes and the like-there is already lots of content in the game as it stands. Very nice graphics and all right gameplay, while the control scheme is pretty good it still is not as natural as a joystick on a desktop sim. Plus it is a huge and I mean huge battery killer, worst of an app I've tried.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:31 PM   #24
slapppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
I got the game to try it out, most of the IAP are optional, extra planes and the like-there is already lots of content in the game as it stands. Very nice graphics and all right gameplay, while the control scheme is pretty good it still is not as natural as a joystick on a desktop sim. Plus it is a huge and I mean huge battery killer, worst of an app I've tried.
Good to hear real life reviews. Thanks.
slapppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:49 PM   #25
bnnentertainmen
macrumors regular

classy! the next thing i'm doing is downloading this game
bnnentertainmen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion