Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevofresh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
Hello. Does anyone own the 2.6 ghz I5 256gb retina macbook pro 13 inch? And how is it? I am going off to college in a couple weeks and wondering if it will be good enough for my need such as word processing, light lightroom/ps usage, maybe a tiny bit of video editing? Portablity is key for me and I know people are going to tell me to wait for haswell. But I might have to bite the bullet right now because of the back to school sales, and that I am going to be starting college in almost a week.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Hello. Does anyone own the 2.6 ghz I5 256gb retina macbook pro 13 inch? And how is it? I am going off to college in a couple weeks and wondering if it will be good enough for my need such as word processing, light lightroom/ps usage, maybe a tiny bit of video editing? Portablity is key for me and I know people are going to tell me to wait for haswell. But I might have to bite the bullet right now because of the back to school sales, and that I am going to be starting college in almost a week.

The haswell MBA is already available, and unless the retina screen is a must, the MBA will handle like a champion your usage requirements...

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm with sofianito on this one. That would be a better alternative for your needs.
But in the end go with what you want most and enjoy what you buy. :)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Today.

Today I am a new owner of the 3.0Ghz i7 13-incher with retina. It is magnificent and perfect for powerful processing, graphics and everything in between, really! Next to the MBA it is supreme, the MBA is inferior in terms of the display, if you don't care to look at your content (ever) then please get it, but if content and presentation is just as important to your work please avoid it.

The 13"rMB is so intimate and delicious in ever respect. I love it with my 17"MBP. I am selling my 15" rMB. It makes no sense to me to have a 15-inch, it is too big for a TRUE portable and too small to be a POWERHOUSE for productivity in a portable. So I found the perfect of both worlds for me (personally).

I'm just so happy and so beside myself today that I made this discovery!

Good luck!

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Today I am a new owner of the 3.0Ghz i7 13-incher with retina. It is magnificent and perfect for powerful processing, graphics and everything in between, really! Next to the MBA it is supreme, the MBA is inferior in terms of the display, if you don't care to look at your content (ever) then please get it, but if content and presentation is just as important to your work please avoid it.

The 13"rMB is so intimate and delicious in ever respect. I love it with my 17"MBP. I am selling my 15" rMB. It makes no sense to me to have a 15-inch, it is too big for a TRUE portable and too small to be a POWERHOUSE for productivity in a portable. So I found the perfect of both worlds for me (personally).

I'm just so happy and so beside myself today that I made this discovery!

Good luck!

Nice choice! I'm just ordered a nice open box (Amazon warehouse deals) 2012 2.5/8/256 13 inch rMBP which most likely will replace my 15 inch rMBP as well!

tecknik1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
HCM Vietnam
I second the 13 RMBP, I have the 2.6 I5 256 you're considering and I prefer it over my 2011 13 MBA which I gave to my wife. The RMBP slightly heavier but the screen vs the Air, no comparison.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I own the 2.6 256GB, and I love it! I bought the 2.5 256GB just days before the unexpected refresh and just brought it back to Apple and they gave me a new one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.