Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That's a Val Kilmer like kind of desaster, not going to watch it if true.

----------

How many actors does that make? Adam West was my favourite!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

West
Keaton (no1)
Kilmer
Clooney
Bale

Wasn't totally convinced, but when I read rumors about Ryan Gosling I thought it an intersting choice, probably able to bring back some Keatoness. Now Affleck on the other hand...brings back the cheesy and hammy stuff ;)

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Bale was my favorite Batman, by a mile. I loved Argo and The Town, but this news just brings me back to that god awful Daredevil film, which I thought would never cross my mind again. Bale, Cooper, or JGL would have been my choices for the role.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Adam West is the one true Batman.

BatmanHitFlashes1_1217.jpg

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Bale was my favorite Batman, by a mile. I loved Argo and The Town, but this news just brings me back to that god awful Daredevil film, which I thought would never cross my mind again. Bale, Cooper, or JGL would have been my choices for the role.

Good call! Cooper could work out well. The thing with Bale is, imho, that he visually fitted perfectly but his depiction of Bruce, besides being a handsome billionaire, was only mediocre at best. That was what Keaton was all about.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Michael Keaton was my fav.
I hated Michael Keaton, he was so far from the comic book batman that if wasn't for Jack Nicholson, that movie would have been a disaster.

I also don't think Ben Affleck has the dark edge, or screen presence to pull this roll off. Christian Bale came the closest imo, to pulling off the role in the spirit of the comic books.

I'm not sure about that, but he had the best batmobile by far
batmobile.jpg

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I hated Michael Keaton, he was so far from the comic book batman that if wasn't for Jack Nicholson, that movie would have been a disaster.

I also don't think Ben Affleck has the dark edge, or screen presence to pull this roll off. Christian Bale came the closest imo, to pulling off the role in the spirit of the comic books.

View attachment 429647

Thought comic-affictionados were rather unhappy about Nicholson's Joker? I would take Adam West - he sort of plays in his own league - out of the comparison, since the format of the series and how it was executed comes close to the flair of a comic but I seriously doubt it'd have worked out well on the big screen.

I rather disliked the Nolan movies. No Gotham City, no real Bat Cave, heck the last one didn't really show any real Bat action. Bale doesn't resemble the brooding character well plus I hated that voice! :D

ben-affleck-superman-suit.jpeg

well, maybe I'll give it a shot. What's going to be worse is Snyder to continue as director.

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Did anyone else read this Variety report?
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/

Goodness, there goes my favorite superhero! Why, oh why, him? Didn't anyone else in Warner Bros. watch Daredevil? Ugh...

Daredevil was an awful movie. Affleck wasn't awful in it.

I would've chosen Bradley Cooper… or Affleck's best buddy, Matt Damon!

I can't take Cooper seriously and Damon doesn't look the part. He can't pull off Bruce Wayne.

---

I don't mind the pick. He's got the Bruce Wayne down for sure - just needs to do a decent job in the action department as Batman.

Also I wouldn't be surprised, barring an incredible performance by Affleck, that this is just a one-off or bridge Batman. When they retool the franchise (again), I wouldn't be surprised to pick someone else for the set/trilogy (you know there'll be more than one).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thought comic-affictionados were rather unhappy about Nicholson's Joker?
He wasn't like the comic book joker, yet his screen presence and acting ability pulled it off. Where as Keaton was generic and vanilla. I would have welcomed Adam West instead of Keaton :p

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Michael Keaton and his Batmobile was by far my favorite.

I'm not so sure about Ben Affleck. Of course he's a better choice than Ashton Kutcher for the Jobs movie. :p

Attachments

• 3976343034_7562f225d3_o.jpg
    3976343034_7562f225d3_o.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 353

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

I'm not so sure about Ben Affleck. Of course he's a better choice than Ashton Kutcher for the Jobs movie. :p

Totally agreed about the Batmobile.

But Kutcher...are we sure SuperBoy doesn't appear?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Take out Affleck for a second, the plot sounds horrible. I don't think anyone could make this movie not suck.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How many actors does that make? Adam West was my favourite!

I remember watching this when I was a very small kid, and thinking, 'wow! This is so brilliant.'....

View attachment 429647

I liked Michale Keaton's portrayal - he captured the split personality side of the Batman character very well, and managed to convey the essence of the 'reluctant hero' is his characterisation. He was by far the best Bruce Wayne. Jack Nicholson's 'Joker' was an absolute delight. And Anton Furst's sets were simply spell-binding.

Re the original Batmobile, as a child, I was given a toy version - a metallic die cast model - one Christmas, which was a treasured possession; the small rockets actually worked.......

Do we know if Robin makes an appearance? :D

Ah, yes, an utterly compelling question that demands an answer....

Agree re Michael Keaton (my favourite as well) and his particular Batmobile was wonderful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.