Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mf89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
UK
Hi Everyone,

My Finder window shows some phantom files which are deleted but still showing as a thumbnail - as if they still existed.

I can't move them anywhere, can't delete them, can't change the permissions and it says the alias is not found if I double click it, and it also won't let me fix the alias.

I just want to know if any of you have ever had this problem and how you got round it?

Any help would be great!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi Everyone,

My Finder window shows some phantom files which are deleted but still showing as a thumbnail - as if they still existed.

I can't move them anywhere, can't delete them, can't change the permissions and it says the alias is not found if I double click it, and it also won't let me fix the alias.

I just want to know if any of you have ever had this problem and how you got round it?

Any help would be great!

First, have you restarted your computer? That solves many such problems. Second, where exactly are these icons located? Are they on the Finder sidebar or toolbar? If so, hold your command key and drag the icons off the bar and let go. They will disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.