Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pebble Smartwatch for iOS Adds Proper Email Push Notifications, Fixes iCloud Support

The Pebble smart watch has received an official update to its iOS app, bringing proper push notifications for emails and fixing compatibility for AOL and iCloud email accounts. Official support for email notifications had been introduced earlier this month, but with access limited to fetching on 15-minute intervals.

The app officially launched alongside the smart watch in January, with the device originally gaining notice for raising over $10 million in funding on Kickstarter. Access to the SDK for the device was given to developers in April.

Apple has been highly rumored to be working on a smart watch of its own to potentially launch next year, with a number of other major technology companies also working on their own projects.

Pebble's iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pebble Smartwatch for iOS Adds Proper Email Push Notifications, Fixes iCloud Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Dades
macrumors member

Don't get the Pebble at all.
It looks like the watch equivalent of this:

Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post

You're wrong. I own a Pebble. The phone pictured in your post is nothing like it. The phone actually worked as advertised...

Last edited by rdlink; Aug 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
rdlink is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post

Gotta start somewhere. The first cellphone wasn't an iPhone after all...
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
The price seems a bit too high and the appeal a bit too low. I'll wait to see what Apple does.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
quincy164
macrumors newbie

Redundant

I don't get this either. What good is it if it has to be within Bluetooth distance of the phone? Just look at the phone!

Now if you didn't need the phone...then it might make sense...

To each his own though...
quincy164 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy164 View Post
I don't get this either. What good is it if it has to be within Bluetooth distance of the phone? Just look at the phone!

What else would it be using - battery hungry WIFI, which would also increase the price of the watch?

Many people keep their phone in a bag or somewhere so a notification is useful without looking at phone, so only need to get phone when necessary.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
fullstop102
macrumors member

It's interesting. I got one of the kickstarter models and I love it. Put my phone in my backpack pocket, walking I can see my runkeeper details, change tracks and answer calls all without having to stop get my phone from my bag. Useful at the gym too for changing tracks and timers etc.

May not be useful for you, but I really like it.
fullstop102 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Pebble isn't a "smartwatch." It's a dumb terminal slaved to a smartphone.
Big difference.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Artofilm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Big difference.
Can a regular watch link to your phone and preview messages and the like? no.
Hence the "smart watch" name.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:17 PM   #11
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstop102 View Post
It's interesting. I got one of the kickstarter models and I love it. Put my phone in my backpack pocket, walking I can see my runkeeper details, change tracks and answer calls all without having to stop get my phone from my bag. Useful at the gym too for changing tracks and timers etc.

It can control an iPod? Cool. I got the Nike+ remote and it sorta works sometimes with the latest generation Nano. The randomness of its operation drives me nuts...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Not quite true. Many of us bought it for situations described by the poster I quote below. I bought it so I could drop my phone in my jersey pocket while on a bike ride, and track my progress, any incoming calls, emails and texts while riding, without having to stop and pull out the phone. But it didn't quite measure up, as I state in my response below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullstop102 View Post

I, too bought a Pebble on Kickstarter for some of the same reasons you mention. Specifically to use while riding my bike (Think 40 miles at 18 miles per hour, not a ride in the park). But, aside from delivering the product way, way later than originally promised, they were way too slow getting the SDK out, and the device was far too buggy for far too long after it's introduction. Consequently, to this day there still isn't integration with my fitness app of choice, and the most popular fitness app in the App Store, MapMyxxx. And when I tried to use it with the bicycling version of runkeeper it was so buggy that every time I received a text or notification from another app it would crater the Pebble, and I couldn't track my ride from the watch anymore. For me, it's basically been a dumb sports watch that cost $115, and needs to be charged at least once a week. What makes me sad about all of this is that I really had high hopes for it when I opted in.

Having said that, I will step back and take another look tomorrow, when I go on a hike. I admit that I haven't even tried to use it for a couple of months now, and I know they've issued a couple of updates. But my first, second, third and fourth impressions of the device have been meh, at best.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:24 PM   #13
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Was going to get one but apple should do much better, hopefully wait will not be too long
radiologyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:04 PM   #14
macse30
macrumors regular

I've got a Kickstarter edition as well and love it. Love wearing a watch again. Love the notifications on my wrist without pulling my phone out. Love being able to skip songs playing on my iPhone. Hey, I'll buy the Apple watch when it comes out as well. But waiting for that is like not buying a cell phone until Apple makes one. I've got the best smart watch on the market today. If Apple tops it, I'll buy that.

By the way, I get tons of compliments from men and women just on the looks. They freak when they see it interacts with my phone. To each his/her own but I'm a happy backer.
macse30 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:16 PM   #15
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You do realize BT range is up to 10 meters/30 feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Big difference.
So what kind of smartwatch are you waiting for? If you want a watch that does everything your phone does, you'd either have 1 minute battery life or a watch the size of a phone.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:52 AM   #16
chestercheetaz
macrumors newbie

The buttons on the Pebble are horrendous. They feel flimsy and cheap.
chestercheetaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:26 AM   #17
fullstop102
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Not quite true. Many of us bought it for situations described by the poster I quote below. I bought it so I could drop my phone in my jersey pocket while on a bike ride, and track my progress, any incoming calls, emails and texts while riding, without having to stop and pull out the phone. But it didn't quite measure up, as I state in my response below...

I, too bought a Pebble on Kickstarter for some of the same reasons you mention. Specifically to use while riding my bike (Think 40 miles at 18 miles per hour, not a ride in the park). But, aside from delivering the product way, way later than originally promised, they were way too slow getting the SDK out, and the device was far too buggy for far too long after it's introduction. Consequently, to this day there still isn't integration with my fitness app of choice, and the most popular fitness app in the App Store, MapMyxxx. And when I tried to use it with the bicycling version of runkeeper it was so buggy that every time I received a text or notification from another app it would crater the Pebble, and I couldn't track my ride from the watch anymore. For me, it's basically been a dumb sports watch that cost $115, and needs to be charged at least once a week. What makes me sad about all of this is that I really had high hopes for it when I opted in.

Having said that, I will step back and take another look tomorrow, when I go on a hike. I admit that I haven't even tried to use it for a couple of months now, and I know they've issued a couple of updates. But my first, second, third and fourth impressions of the device have been meh, at best.
Give it another try. Make sure the pebble app and the firmware are latest. The run keeper is solid these days for me. Also if you get a text or call you can get back to you run keeper at the bottom of the menu.

I do agree they were very very late and all those problems, but it kinda happens with kick-starter especially where it is a leap in tech. These guys don't have billions in the bank like apple and a full R&D and production system setup.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
It can control an iPod? Cool. I got the Nike+ remote and it sorta works sometimes with the latest generation Nano. The randomness of its operation drives me nuts...
Yeah you can skip back and forwards and stop and start the songs. Not much more but they may add more ability later. For me I set my playlist or podcast and it is just a matter of pausing if I need to talk to someone or get past a song that I am bored of.
fullstop102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 05:14 AM   #18
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiologyman View Post
Was going to get one but apple should do much better, hopefully wait will not be too long
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
…..I'll wait to see what Apple does.
And that my friends…...is exactly what they're up against. The word is out, and a lot of people are just sitting tight.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #19
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Problem with Pebble is, the way i see it, I don't wear a watch, so why on earth would I get a smart watch. It needs something compelling to convince me, but nothing special about it just a phone partner.
appleisking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:27 PM   #20
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:

Pebble owner here-
I ordered one because I had bought a decent pair of headphones. Having sworn by the in-line remote on the Apple earphones I needed something to change track and stop/start music. So it fixed that problem.
I also get a lot of emails, every time I get one I no longer have to get my phone out unless I want to reply to them. In a nutshell it fixes something you mentioned; there is now no need to look at the phone. I bury my phone in my pocket when commuting or walking so the Pebble keeps it there. It's a convenience thing.

And having stopped wearing a watch a few years ago because of phones it's also quite refreshing to have a clock on my wrist again. Again it's no more fishing the phone out my pocket!

There are other apps on the Pebble but I can't see much use in them. There's a nifty countdown app which has come in use, replacing my iPhone countdown. As a mirror for the iPhone though it's wonderful (though I hear it's much better with a jailbroken iPhone or Android device).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestercheetaz View Post
The buttons on the Pebble are horrendous. They feel flimsy and cheap.
That they do! Something like this needs to be a touchscreen. A bit surprised it isn't. We all know the Pebble 2 and Apple's entry will be, though.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:33 PM   #21
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
You do realize BT range is up to 10 meters/30 feet?
30 feet is quite a distance. I can leave my phone in my home office, and walk just about anywhere in the house while still having signal.

I can walk from my desk at work to the bathroom and break room (coffee, etc.) without losing the signal.

But, probably the BIGGEST benefit of having it is: Not having to look down at your phone all the time in social situations. My job requires that I be connected 24/7. Now, when at a restaurant, I don't have to look at my phone when it dings or rings. I can surreptitiously glance at my watch and know if I need to actually get out the phone or not.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:15 AM   #22
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Firstly, you are missing the point of having such a device. You would also need to use Bluetooth as this is the most efficient and universal [non-wifi] form of connectivity. Wifi is a not an option as you would need to be in range of and logged onto a network which is no good when cycling, driving, walking down the street etc.

Quote:
If it were a phone, then can I assume that you are expecting the miniaturisation of the iPhone...? This is not a reality [yet..].

They already make limited function smart / phone watches. The point of a watch like this, is to allow partial function of the more functional host device is serves.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Klosefabrinio
macrumors regular

when will apple release the iWatch, these smartwatches are just a gimmick. please apple, bring it soon.
Klosefabrinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #24
bdrake47
macrumors regular

I would love to say how great and useful the Pebble is, or how terrible it is, but sadly, all I can comment on is how horrendous their Customer Support/Communication/Delivery skills are.

I was an original Kickstarter backer, and have STILL not received my Pebble.

They were record breaking on KS, but what a fiasco it has turned into for many people. Kind of burned me from using/supporting KS anymore too.

I'll probably have an Apple iWatch before I ever receive anything from Pebble.
bdrake47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:15 AM   #25
harlemexplosion
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Problem with Pebble is, the way i see it, I don't wear a watch, so why on earth would I get a smart watch. It needs something compelling to convince me, but nothing special about it just a phone partner.
It doesn't aim to be for everyone. It has a specific purpose which specific people really need or wanted way before this thing arrived. You'd be surprised at how large a market it can cater to... but it is not for everyone at all. It makes less sense on an iPhone too.. since it is already so small and easy to use in one hand that it isn't any trouble at all to take out... on a phablet though... this is practically necessary.
harlemexplosion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion