Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
So here at work, 1 of the employees had left the office, and I need to grab all the data in his laptop before we wipe everything out.

whats the best way to do this? amazingly, this was never backup and it never had a problem.

which should i do?

1.Backup the machine using Time Machine with a USB?

2.Transfer everything to an external hard drive?

or if someone knows a better way, let me know.

Thanks,

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Just for......

safety and record purposes I will clone all the stuff in the computer. You dont know how a specific file comes handy, by example, to give a following to issues the former employee had tackling. Or in the event of a demand....(hope not)....

I know clone can be time-consuming. If you do that, do it in the better hardware you can get and the faster one too....

:):apple:

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
safety and record purposes I will clone all the stuff in the computer. You dont know how a specific file comes handy, by example, to give a following to issues the former employee had tackling. Or in the event of a demand....(hope not)....

I know clone can be time-consuming. If you do that, do it in the better hardware you can get and the faster one too....

so external harddrive it is?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
External.....

so external harddrive it is?

it is. USB 3.0 can be a good compromise, with good price, many options, relatively faster and Windows compatibility. No point in use Thunderbolt externals, unless you have one already and dont need it badly....

Good luck with the data backup....:D

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"or if someone knows a better way, let me know."

A USB external drive, and CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) will do just what you need.

SuperDuper can do a full clone without paying to register (at least, it used to)

CarbonCopyCloner is free to download and use for the first 30 days.

I prefer CCC, but that's just my personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.