Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnseattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I don't see how a "cheaper " iphone really matters as when you buy the phone subsidized it's still likely to be at least 199 for the entry level model which will be the same as the iPhone 5s. :rolleyes:

I'm only referring to buyers in the USA, i know people in other countries oddly like to buy their phone outright.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see how a "cheaper " iphone really matters as when you buy the phone subsidized it's still likely to be at least 199 for the entry level model which will be the same as the iPhone 5s. :rolleyes:
Of course you can't see why. You're comparing apples to oranges. You need to compare both subsidized or both not subsidized. In either case the 5c will be less expensive. :rolleyes:

I'm only referring to buyers in the USA, i know people in other countries oddly like to buy their phone outright.
Nothing odd about it. We're the ones that oddly expect subsidies and pay more for service.

In any case, if you don't see the point then move on to something else. Your inability to see the point doesn't mean that others don't.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

Oddly? In some countries you are forced to pay full price for your phone.

The cheaper iPhone makes the most sense for emerging countries. It's also going to do very well in America. It won't be $199 on-contract but rather free like the 4 currently is. And best part it should be very affordable off-contract too.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You are basing on pure speculation, i.e. the price point the 5C will be sold.

Also, you may want to change the title, from "iPhone 5C, whats the point?" to "iPhone 5C, whats the point in the US with a price I have just thought of for this thread to have a vague, speculative meaning?".

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm only referring to buyers in the USA,

For the US its main point is probably to replace the 4/4s as the low end phone and standardize the lineup around one connector. THe other part of the point is that the majority of the world lives outside the US and Apple probably wants to get into those markets more effectively than they have been.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

"oddly like to buy their phones outright"? I'm sure the majority of the world that do buy their phones outright would think that it's odd to buy a phone and be locked to a single carrier with no flexibility to use another carrier. I have an unlocked iphone that I bought outright and it costs me $7 a week in Sweden for unlimited everything. Seems very odd to me.

----------

I'm only referring to buyers in the USA
Right, because Apple ONLY sells to consumers in the US. There are no other opportunities in other countries.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
What.........

Why would apple sell a high quality metal phone and a plastic phone for the same price? That absolutely makes no sense.

And, the US is not the primary market for this phone

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
But I live in the USofA, so the rest of the world to me is either: poor, hungry, old, or hoarding my oil. Generally I try to ignore it because all that matters is what happens to ME. Most of the rest of this "world" you speak of talks funny too... gibberish I sure as heck can't understand, so why bother pay attention anyway???

USA! USA! USA!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
In order for the 5C to make sense you have to expand your thinking beyond the US
This phone is primarily targeted for other countries, i.e. China, etc. and not the US

7 billion people on Earth. 300 million in the US. It's like some people don't know that every product isn't made with them in mind. If Apple drops a 128GB iPhone 5S for $399, I won't care much at all about the 5C.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Take a semester in Asian Culture at your local Community College.
It will help immensely. :apple:

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
They could still offer the 5C in the US for $49 or $99 on a 2 year contract. People love "free" phones especially in the USA. That's how all the parents, grandparents, and low income people got cell phones in the first place. It would be REALLY awesome if they offered the 5C for free with 2 year contract. That would make a LOT of users happy. I got my in-laws iPhone 4Ss when they were $50 or so. A free, new iPhone would make them extremely happy.

johnseattle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
"oddly like to buy their phones outright"? I'm sure the majority of the world that do buy their phones outright would think that it's odd to buy a phone and be locked to a single carrier with no flexibility to use another carrier. I have an unlocked iphone that I bought outright and it costs me $7 a week in Sweden for unlimited everything. Seems very odd to me.

----------
Why jump around to different carriers? That makes no sense either. I don't think a 2 year contract is that huge of a deal. You can change carriers then if your so inclined.

----------

Take a semester in Asian Culture at your local Community College.
It will help immensely. :apple:

Lol worst post ever.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Seeing as the 5C is the "cheaper" option for the iPhone, one can only assume that the price will be lower, contract or no contract. I also read an article stating that the 5C is aimed at other markets, not just the US.

Source for 5C being aimed at other countries : http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/20/th...-us-its-the-iphone-for-the-rest-of-the-world/

Also, the point of the 5C is to expand the use of the iPhone in the lower-end spectrum of the smartphone market, not only in the US.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
they did it so you would start threads on forums..... Their plan worked perfectly!

----------

But I live in the USofA, so the rest of the world to me is either: poor, hungry, old, or hoarding my oil. Generally I try to ignore it because all that matters is what happens to ME. Most of the rest of this "world" you speak of talks funny too... gibberish I sure as heck can't understand, so why bother pay attention anyway???

USA! USA! USA!

Sadly this pretty much sums up most merkans.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.