Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
So my gf has an iPhone 4 that is still on iOS 4.3.2 - I've been hesitant about upgrading because everything works well for her and I know some updates cause issues. Also, she really doesn't care about a new iOS as long as everything "just works". Now she's finally running into issues where apps require a newer iOS version.

So I want to upgrade to a 5.X version of iOS as I've read many versions of 6 have wifi issues and that's huge for her.

Is the only way to do this via jailbreaking? With Pwnage or Redsn0w I guess? I'm on a Mac. What's the best method?

Thanks for any assistance.

MagWhiz

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
México
It's the iP4 jailbroken? If it is, she probably has the 5.x SHSH blobs stored on Cydia. Search on Google for TinyUmbrella and download the 5.1.3 IPSW.

However, if you don't mind losing the jailbreak, just update to iOS6. It's easier. There aren't Wifi issues, that's bs.

Gmas

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Her iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken already. It's as stock as they come.

Essentially I just want to upgrade her to a more current firmware, however in reading, it seemed like 5.X were more stable than 6.X's. She values stability and functioning wifi/battery life over everything so wanted to do whatever I could to maintain those.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Her iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken already. It's as stock as they come.

Essentially I just want to upgrade her to a more current firmware, however in reading, it seemed like 5.X were more stable than 6.X's. She values stability and functioning wifi/battery life over everything so wanted to do whatever I could to maintain those.

If it was never jailbroken and no blobs were manually saved your only option is 6.1.3 which is very stable.

Connect it to itunes and hit restore

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Before you go to 6.1.3 use something like iFaith to save the 4.3 blobs first so if you have issues with iOS 6 you can rollback to 4.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.