Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Hey ya'll, my sister bumped my powerbook off a table and it fell to the ground, smacking on the corner. Cosmetically, just a tiny scratch, and it still works just fine, so no real serious damage. However, the chassis is bent just a bit; it wobbles on flat surfaces. If I push down on the wobbly corners, I can eventually bend it and stop the wobble, but, it is crooked again next time I use it. It's not off much, just a millimeter or two. Is there any way to adjust screws or tension somewhere to level this out?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Are you sure that's it's been warped? My PB never sat flat on all tables (maybe it came bent, or maybe my tables aren't flat). If it's not that bad I wouldn't worry about it.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
neocell said:
Are you sure that's it's been warped? My PB never sat flat on all tables (maybe it came bent, or maybe my tables aren't flat). If it's not that bad I wouldn't worry about it.

I've had that problem too on some tables, kinda odd...like, it'll wobble, but if I rotate it a bit the wobble goes away. However, it now wobbles when it didn't before.

I just recall reading on some site that you can adjust some screws on the chassis to....make the lid shut level and such. Right now, my lid shuts level on the right, but on the left there is a gap....

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
neocell said:

Yeah, my PowerBook doesn't sit flat on my desk either. Although I barely ever use it at my desk without plugging it into the external monitor, so it's not a big deal. The exacto knife idea sounds like a good one though.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you want to replace the bottom cover and the internal frame -- it might cost you 300-400 in parts alone.

Send it to Apple, and the price is nearly the cost of a new machine.

If your decide to keep your sister, I'd suggest a more sister friendly iBook next time. ;)

Or you can just live with it the way it is.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Put it on a flat surface, closed, attached to an external monitor/kb/mouse (so you can use it closed). Then start folding, or rendering something, or something to make it really hot. When it starts to get hot, pile books on top of it. Maybe leave it like this over night (making sure it keeps folding so it doesn't cool off). In the morning it'll probably be flat again. :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
ITASOR said:
Put it on a flat surface, closed, attached to an external monitor/kb/mouse (so you can use it closed). Then start folding, or rendering something, or something to make it really hot. When it starts to get hot, pile books on top of it. Maybe leave it like this over night (making sure it keeps folding so it doesn't cool off). In the morning it'll probably be flat again. :)

Aha!! The heat it till it's red and beat it into place fix....I like that idea. Works even better with a dell, you eventually turn it into molten plastic and can mold it anyway you want.

I've heard of this folding, but don't really know what it is. What is 'folding'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.