Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a "Mac Repair" sub-forum?
Yes! I think it's a great idea! 23 76.67%
No, keep things the way they are. 5 16.67%
Jello! Wait- what? Maybe I want something else. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Dedicated "Mac Repair" sub-forum?

Hey, I was wondering about something. I have seen a lot of threads about mac/macbook repair help around here, and one of user Dadioh's threads has escalated from a single problem (backlight) support to kind of being a catch-all for logic board repairs. I was wondering if a specific forum group had ever been thought about to put help questions in- like a "Mac/Macbook Repair" section. Do you think that would be beneficial?

Just an idea!
T
My heatware!

Last edited by Astroboy907; Aug 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Astroboy907 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

It would be beneficial. In fact, many people do Self-Repairs as of late. More so, you can even have the forum house modding for Macs.

However, clear repair standards should be kept and a basic SMT criteria explained so that users know what they are getting into.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
It would be beneficial. In fact, many people do Self-Repairs as of late. More so, you can even have the forum house modding for Macs.

However, clear repair standards should be kept and a basic SMT criteria explained so that users know what they are getting into.
Yes, I think it would be good to remove some of the clutter about Macs in the normal forums and allow a better knowledge base for issues. Maybe have a few stickies at the top explaining common issues and linking to proper procedures and apple's official support documents. Probably as well as having a sticky about good repair standards, SMT criteria as you said. I'd honestly really like to see a sticky about what to do when water damage occurs, I've seen dozens of threads around here wondering about repair and the OP spilled water on the mac and decided to power it on the next day without drying it out. Just a personal request there, but I think it would help some.

But honestly, the amount of repair info on MR is huge. I actually think it is the reason I joined, and I've learned quite a lot about mac repair.
Anyways, maybe I should add a poll?
T
My heatware!
Astroboy907 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:04 AM   #4
GermanyChris
Banned

I agree
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:09 PM   #5
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Hey, that's a good idea.

I support the motion!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Still looking for more support, might chime in on Dadioh's thread an a couple of other popular repair threads. I think that we really at the very least need a dedicated thread about it. A separate subsection would be great, perhaps a bit harder to find but I hope it would end up more helpful. It would be a challenge at the very least to get some of the information currently out there organized and put in the right parts of the site, but I think it would be awesome. Personally, I envision a help center type of deal, with common issues laid out, schematics readily available, hi res pics of issues (blown fuse, etc). Of course the mods might not share the same view.

I would be willing to help start it out, organize stuff, etc in my spare time (while I am not busy getting an education ), and help get the thing on its feet.
Going to go post on those threads and see if anyone else is interested in this. Mostly just want to see if there is a significant user base out there that wants this.
Edit: posted on 3 large MacBook repair threads, we'll see how it goes, and if anyone is interested. I would ask you to spread the word and ask people to chime in on this with their opinion. But don't feel pressured, simply asking for opinions from those that might not come to this forum often.
My heatware!

Last edited by Astroboy907; Aug 26, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Astroboy907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

I would be glad to help. I was going to start a thread just for backlight fuse locations to make it easier for people to find the fuse locations all in one spot rather than digging through a mile long thread.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I think it would be a great idea to have a dedicated place for talking about repairs, do it yourself upgrades, etc. I know I've been helped by a lot of threads here that discuss these kinds of topics.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
tobefirst
macrumors 68030

I'll support this.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
rhett7660
macrumors 604

I like it a lot. I am all for it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Mr Rabbit
macrumors 6502a

Terrific idea!
Mr Rabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:13 PM   #12
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Not a bad idea. I support.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Would really like to see a moderators/admins opinion on this. How do-able is this and how likely do you think it will happen?
My heatware!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:40 PM   #14
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy907 View Post
Would really like to see a moderators/admins opinion on this. How do-able is this and how likely do you think it will happen?
Here's what I do know. It's a good idea. However, you only have 13 posts so far. Don't get over excited or put any pressure on anyone. If Arn and the team think it's worth doing they will look into it further. If they don't then they won't move on it. Just be patient. Whether there's a dedicated section or not you can always post threads related to this area of interest in the appropriate current sections of the forum that we have now. The best way to show that a new section is needed is to demonstrate the number of threads and users that are actively posting and discussing those matters.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
Here's what I do know. It's a good idea. However, you only have 13 posts so far. Don't get over excited or put any pressure on anyone. If Arn and the team think it's worth doing they will look into it further. If they don't then they won't move on it. Just be patient. Whether there's a dedicated section or not you can always post threads related to this area of interest in the appropriate current sections of the forum that we have now. The best way to show that a new section is needed is to demonstrate the number of threads and users that are actively posting and discussing those matters.
TBH, wasn't intending to pressure anyone to do anything, just to get a moderators opinion, maybe help figure out how much of a userbase we need to catch their attention, and how hard it would be to start a new sub forum (if it would be worth the trouble at this or a later point). I guess to see if it is a long shot no matter what. I did PM a mod with a couple of those Q's. Reading your post I wouldn't expect an answer... Thanks for the advice Sorry if anyone feels pressured. Take your time, and I'll try not to get too excited over this... lol. I understand it probably won't happen (if it even does happen), for a long time.

To mods, still just trying to see how hard it would be for you, but I guess you are probably in the same boat as me as far as not knowing yet. Like mscriv said, only 13 posts so far, so we'll need more people of it to ever happen. Hopefully I didn't sound to pushy. I did get excited about the idea though!
Thanks for all your work mods!

For kicks, heres a screenshot of the MacBook Pro main forum. 6 out of 18 (1/3) threads were about mac hardware issues. This puts the idea in an interesting situation because there are quite a few software related issues on the forum (even some of the threads I pointed to were probably software problems). Not sure if those would go into the Mac repair forum or be left as they are. Is quite a potential for confusion when posting an issue...

Edit: lol, just re read this and it's still kind of jumbled, random, and pushy. I need to get some sleep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 9.51.46 PM.png
Views:	31
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	430324  
My heatware!

Last edited by Astroboy907; Aug 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:41 AM   #16
annk
Administrator

We've discussed this with open minds, but no matter which way we look at it, we don't see a compelling reason to change the system that's already in place.

As the forum is set up, each type of hardware has its own forum or sub-forum. If we added a single new forum for repair issues, it would be at odds with the current structure. Members wouldn't know whether to post their repair issues in the section specific to their hardware or a general repair section - they would have to choose. And they might not see a centralized section for repairs - we would end up having to move threads.

The other option would be to create a repairs sub-section for each hardware-specific forum. That would create forum bloat, without really adding something that isn't possible to post about in a relevant forum now.

Keep in mind that the nature of thread discussions is that sometimes, issues aren't clearly defined self-repair when the question is posed (=someone asks for help, and the solution turns out to by a DIY repair.) These threads wouldn't necessarily be posted to start with in a repairs section, and would then have to be moved.

We don't like to shoot down ideas, and we do see the reason for the enthusiasm among those who've posted here. The "yes, but..." walls we come up against appear when we start a serious discussion of an idea. We do remember things that have been suggested, though, and some are implemented later if things change.

One possibility that doesn't create the type of problems we see is a [Repair] prefix. We're not convinced that members really understand how useful it can be if people truly used the prefixes when they apply. For instance, a search of threads with a certain prefix can be done; in that way, a hit list with all thread with [Repair] in the MBA forum could be called up. But in order for that to work, members have to spend 2-4 seconds extra to add a prefix when they create a thread. Is anyone interested in that solution?

Anyone can start a guide on repair, FWIW. That might be an even better solution.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:05 AM   #17
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I think a "repair/upgrade" prefix would be a definite step in the right direction. When I have an issue like this I know that there are go to places on the internet like iFixit, but simply seeing an instructional video does not give me the feedback I need to see if the job is truly something I want to try and tackle myself. I'm more encouraged and informed when a regular user like myself posts their story of how a home repair or do it yourself upgrade went for them and what resources they used to accomplish the task.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

I think a repair prefix would probably help, though I'm not sure in what degree. As you said, users might post a problem that ends up being a hardware repair issue, without using the repair prefix. Forum bloat is also a good point and probably the worst issue with this, because everyone has different hardware and software, there would have to be quite a few sub forums, which would really confuse a user if they had a "minor issue" which needed fixing.

I think repair guides would be immensely helpful (logic board repair, etc), but if there is no discussion/commenting available on those guides I don't think it would be helpful, as mscriv said, no user interaction. Even if it is a simple comment, like I did this too and it worked, is really helpful.

I personally think guides would be the best thing to do, as this would help organize the 50 or 100+ pages of repair issues and such into one location. Though a repair prefix would be helpful too! I'm just not sure how many people would use it (like the carrier prefix).
My heatware!

Last edited by Astroboy907; Aug 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

I'll be the dissenter I think repair tags are worse that subforums attached to the regular forums.

If people could tell the difference between a broken computer and their left hand there wouldn't be a need for this.

Portable repair is in your face obvious just like desktop repair..there is no need for break out beyond that.

Let Darwin rule beyond that.
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:22 AM   #20
Astroboy907
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I'll be the dissenter I think repair tags are worse that subforums attached to the regular forums.

If people could tell the difference between a broken computer and their left hand there wouldn't be a need for this.

Portable repair is in your face obvious just like desktop repair..there is no need for break out beyond that.

Let Darwin rule beyond that.
You made my sig...
My heatware!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:25 AM   #21
nemo.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
I would be glad to help. I was going to start a thread just for backlight fuse locations to make it easier for people to find the fuse locations all in one spot rather than digging through a mile long thread.
Instead of starting threads for each separate problem, I think a wiki
may be the best solution for these kind of posts.

For example the ThinkWiki lists for each device some specific technical information,
e.g. fuse locations, datasheets, etc. Example.

In fact, the whole SMC Issue and Backlight Issue thread could be moved
to a wiki so that newcomers only need to search for their model and see
detailed board information, board views, schematics and so on without
needing to scroll through the whole thread. In addition, sticky posts
in this forum could point to the specific wiki pages and discussions could be
led from here.

While there is iFixit, the amount of detail is low while repetition is high
(high amount of threads how to fix the same problem). Again, a wiki would solve this.

So I propose to migrate the content from the SMC/Backlight Issue threads to a wiki,
for example http://macspec.wikia.com/.
nemo. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:33 AM   #22
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo. View Post
Instead of starting threads for each separate problem, I think a wiki
may be the best solution for these kind of posts.

For example the ThinkWiki lists for each device some specific technical information,
e.g. fuse locations, datasheets, etc. Example.

In fact, the whole SMC Issue and Backlight Issue thread could be moved
to a wiki so that newcomers only need to search for their model and see
detailed board information, board views, schematics and so on without
needing to scroll through the whole thread. In addition, sticky posts
in this forum could point to the specific wiki pages and discussions could be
led from here.

While there is iFixit, the amount of detail is low while repetition is high
(high amount of threads how to fix the same problem). Again, a wiki would solve this.

So I propose to migrate the content from the SMC/Backlight Issue threads to a wiki,
for example http://macspec.wikia.com/.
Creating an off-site space for MacRumors content or driving traffic to another site is not ok under our rules, but there is a solution you can use that I think fits what you're after. Check out our guides. Members are encouraged to create guides, and I actually think that's just the sort of thing you need, based on the suggestions here.

Last edited by annk; Sep 14, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
annk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:34 AM   #23
the8thark
macrumors 68040

I think the moderators replies are are very contradictory. And since the want to change very little to nothing on these forums is strong within the staff group here. Knowing this I only see one viable option here.

Make a sticky here explaining about the "repair" topic prefix and the best way to go about asking Mac repair info. Do this for every Mac area in these forums.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 AM   #24
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I think the moderators replies are are very contradictory.
How is that? With this post, I am the first moderator to write in this thread. One of our administrators, annk, is the only staff member to post here so far.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Dadioh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Creating an off-site space for MacRumors content or driving traffic to another site is not ok under our rules, but there is a solution you can use that I think fits what you're after. Check out our guides. Members are encouraged to create guides, and I actually think that's just the sort of thing you need, based on the suggestions here.
I agree we should not be redirecting traffic off the site. I like the guides proposal. We could have a few guides under the Mac Hardware group with sub-categories like "Backlight Fuse Repair", "Battery Troubleshooting", SMC Bypass", etc...

I started a thread on Backlight fuse location and so far have only posted one model but intend to add more models as my time permits. That thread could be converted into a guide.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback