Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Anyone who loves Winblows blindly must be a BORG from the MS Collective.

Just when I was beginning to like Win 7, I was smacked down and rudely reminded how just and absolute file of feces the OS and company is!

I purchased and installed the Professional version.
Not "Basic Home" or "Home", the Pro version.

I wanted to in stalled Japanese Language support on my computer, you know, the ability type Japanese on documents only (not make the entire system Japanese).

It tells me I need either the "Ultimate" or "Enterprise" version.

SAY WHAT?????????

$129 MORE just so I can write in different languages????
In fact, that is ALL the Ultimate has, more languages (well, ok, it also has some kind of encryption too)

I have the most foul thoughts running though my head.

For the last 15 years ALL Macintosh has full language support (OS 9 too), and iOS supports all the major ones too. I am sure even Android and Linux has excellent language support, but for MickyShaft, its an additional $129

That company deserves to go away. Perhaps then the MS slaves can try something, ANYTHING else, and realize simply how terrible Microsuck is.

(OK, ok, I did not see if Win8 include languages, but I think on XP it was an included on disk.)

/rant rant rant

UPDATE:
I was misspelling the world "Tokyo" into computer.
Tokyo is the common English spelling.
If you want to type it using a US keyboard, it is ToUkyoU.

(Actually, I did know I needed extra characters, but didn't know it was two U's)

FYI: OOsaka and KyotoU are other cities.

What surprised me was in Win7, it only gave me Kana alternates, no Kanji at all. On a Mac it does offer Kanji alternatives, even if they are not the Kanji I wanted.
The MS help site said I needed "LIP" to have Language support, only on Ultimate and Enterprise. What MS is not clear about is the ability to change the entire system to different language. Text entry is still supported.

Yes, I was making a mistake, and my opinion of Win7 is much better.

Now the Microsoft help site, that is different matter. ;):D

Last edited:

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Anyone who loves Winblows blindly must be a BORG from the MS Collective.

Just when I was beginning to like Win 7, I was smacked down and rudely reminded how just and absolute file of feces the OS and company is!

I purchased and installed the Professional version.
Not "Basic Home" or "Home", the Pro version.

I wanted to in stalled Japanese Language support on my computer, you know, the ability type Japanese on documents only (not make the entire system Japanese).

It tells me I need either the "Ultimate" or "Enterprise" version.

SAY WHAT?????????

$129 MORE just so I can write in different languages????
In fact, that is ALL the Ultimate has, more languages (well, ok, it also has some kind of encryption too)

I have the most foul thoughts running though my head.

For the last 15 years ALL Macintosh has full language support (OS 9 too), and iOS supports all the major ones too. I am sure even Android and Linux has excellent language support, but for MickyShaft, its an additional $129

That company deserves to go away. Perhaps then the MS slaves can try something, ANYTHING else, and realize simply how terrible Microsuck is.

(OK, ok, I did not see if Win8 include languages, but I think on XP it was an included on disk.)

/rant rant rant

How can you think people will take you seriously when you use capslock to insinuate that you are shouting, and that you wish for something to die....:rolleyes:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
That company deserves to go away.
3vl7z4.jpg

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You don't need to buy anything...

http://www.tofugu.com/guides/type-japanese-windows-7/

That took a whole 5 seconds of my life to find, way less time than it took you to write all that nonsense :rolleyes:

Edit: the "ultimate" deal is that you can have the whole os in any language you want.

Nope! Does not work.
It is very limited function.

I can do Hiragana (ときょ) and Katakana (トキョ), but not the critical Kanji (東京 : Tokyo).

Not having Kanji is like not having Japanese at all.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Nope! Does not work.
It is very limited function.

I can do Hiragana (ときょ) and Katakana (トキョ), but not the critical Kanji (東京 : Tokyo).

Not having Kanji is like not having Japanese at all.

Kanji does not appear on the list of options from the Microsoft IME. In order to get kanji, you type the word in hiragana and then hit the henkan key (space bar). This is how it works even in Japanese Windows (and OS X).

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
And then they destroyed their reputation further and ruined Windows 7 by making Windows 8. I cant even legally buy a copy of windows 7 from my local store!!! I hate win8 it sucks its very buggy and designed for tablets or stupid hybrid computers with touch screens that really help NOTHING but for people to use childish squares to get to useless apps or to the desktop where they can ACTUALLY get work DONE.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
And then they destroyed their reputation further and ruined Windows 7 by making Windows 8. I cant even legally buy a copy of windows 7 from my local store!!! I hate win8 it sucks its very buggy and designed for tablets or stupid hybrid computers with touch screens that really help NOTHING but for people to use childish squares to get to useless apps or to the desktop where they can ACTUALLY get work DONE.

Actually in 8.1 some form of the start button is coming back. There are already shareware third party start buttons that make Windows 8 behave more or less as Windows 7. I am running 8 now and it no longer bothers me - 8 boots directly into the desktop.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So... Because Microsofts pricing model isn't to everyone's liking, the company, as a whole, must die? That seems a bit harsh. :rolleyes:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I personally hate Windows as I find it sluggish for many tasks that should be instant (taking a screenshot for example), poorly thought out (still no multiple desktops? It's 2013!), and just a pain sometimes.

That being said I support Windows environments for a living so I definitely don't want it to die. (Although Windows 8 can die, that's straight up garbage).

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Let's not forget history that M$ has as an original developer for Apple way back in the day. They got big, competitive, then bigger, and in some aspects are what drove Apple to innovate and resulted in the great machines and OS we have now.

They still retain more market share in some segments and are still the de facto standard for business productivity suites (Office). Yes, there are Pages/Keynote/Numbers, and OpenOffice, LibreOffice, ad nauseum, but MS is still the 800lb. gorilla in that market.

Competition, no matter how insignificant it seems lately from M$, Samesung, Google and others is still what creates growth and innovation for all of us to benefit from.

Interestingly, the OP posted that huge rant on an Apple-centric forum and it still baffles me why so many still try to shoehorn that buggy OS with strange licensing into a beautiful machine like a Mac. If you need Word, use Office for Mac, type Japanese. Done.

Disclaimer: I do own Parallels, but have not booted a VM in nearly two years, there is just so many good OS X options available now. Gaming is another story we all know.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
If it were me, I would've researched which version of Windows offered Kanji and not assume they all did.

Does anyone remember when Bill Gates poured a bunch of money into Apple, saving them from bankruptcy?

Lot's of Kool-Aid drinkers here, but that's no surprise.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio

Its not buggy at all.

I personally hate Windows as I find it sluggish for many tasks that should be instant (taking a screenshot for example), poorly thought out (still no multiple desktops? It's 2013!), and just a pain sometimes.

That being said I support Windows environments for a living so I definitely don't want it to die. (Although Windows 8 can die, that's straight up garbage).

LOL.. Are you serious?

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Kanji does not appear on the list of options from the Microsoft IME. In order to get kanji, you type the word in hiragana and then hit the henkan key (space bar). This is how it works even in Japanese Windows (and OS X).

And you do not think I KNOW how this works???

I have been using Japanese since System 7.5 and, I think, Windows 98SE (for sure XP)

I have tried, and Win7 does not show any kind of Kanji, PERIOD

----------

So... Because Microsofts pricing model isn't to everyone's liking, the company, as a whole, must die? That seems a bit harsh. :rolleyes:

Call it the last straw (that killed the camel, you know?)

By itself this "pricing model" alone is not cause of this rant, just the latest knock on them.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be ignorant when purchasing things. Especially when it is just so much easier to assume things rather that research.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I cant my laptop is already on 8

The fact that windows 8 is on your laptop does not prevent you from installing 7 on it. In this aspect, windows is better than OS X since you can install older windows (up to a certain point...) on newer machine if needs be. Try installing snow leopard on a 2012/2013 Mac!

----------

wow biggest understatement of the year. Do you even have windows 8? doesnt sound like it

Windows 8 buggy? With all the 3rd party bloatware that come pre installed on most machine it's a possibility, but not microsoft's fault. I made a clean install for bootcamp use and except the fact that I'm not sold on the "metro" interface, it's by far the fastest/leanest windows to date.

Just because you don't like something, or are not good at using it does not make it a bad product. Try to be more objective :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.