Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Background: So I have a new 2012 27" iMac running 10.8.4

I have atlantis chat client running constantly to a private server me and some friends use (http://www.riverdark.net/atlantis/). It's a MUSH/MUD Client for you old school types.

I connect to my router and comcast thru ethernet.

Problem: Often, multiple times during a day, the connection to the chat server just drops.
%% Network connection lost.
%% Disconnected.

Diagnostic Facts:

• Other "constant" connections on the iMac...downloads, torrents, mmorpg...do not drop connections.
  • Running the same version of Atlantis on my G5 at the same time as the iMac, attached to the same router, it does not lose connections.
  • Running the same version of Atlantis on other intel machines (in previous times) have not had this problem.
  • a test on my MBP with Mountain Lion to eliminates it being a mountain lion issue.

So, what I've come to so far is that this is not a problem with the Router or Cable Company. Nor is it a problem with the client or server.

It would appear that there's some kind of "flux" coming over the iMac's network connection that is minor enough most programs ignore.

Does anyone have any solutions, or advise on further tests/diagnosis?

Last edited:

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I have the exact same problem as you do, however, I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) model.

Checking my Network settings I see that the Mac loses IP for a split second causing anything I am connected to drop.

I don't think it is a router issue as no other computer on the network suffers this problem and I've already switched ports to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.