Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
I am planning on getting the iPod classic. I have a ton of MP3 files that I just need to get off my computer, but would still like to be able to listen to from time to time. The reason I want the classic is because of the storage size.

I was wondering however, should I buy it now? It doesn't look like Apple will update the classic at all, right? Or at least, not for a long time, or what?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I am planning on getting the iPod classic. I have a ton of MP3 files that I just need to get off my computer, but would still like to be able to listen to from time to time. The reason I want the classic is because of the storage size.

I was wondering however, should I buy it now? It doesn't look like Apple will update the classic at all, right? Or at least, not for a long time, or what?

Hold out until after September 10, which is the Apple event. Most likely there won't be an update for the classic, but there maybe still a chance of it.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
It will most likely not be updated, which means you have a lot of time to decide on when you want to purchase one...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I wouldn't buy yet. It won't be updated but I doubt it will be pulled from the stores just yet either. Even if Apple pulls it from the stores, it is still available at BestBuy and other places.

I bought my last 160GB Classic June 2012 thinking that year would be the end.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
An update to the device is unlikely, which is unfortunate since I feel it could do with an SSD, backlit buttons, RAW audio support and a speaker. But I'd wait until after today's keynote, just to be sure.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I'm not so sure the iPod Classic is the best solution to your needs here. It doesn't make a good backup drive; it shouldn't be relied on for being the only place you store some MP3s.

The hard drive inside an iPod isn't very reliable. They have issues frequently. Most of the time, a simple wipe/restore and re-sync is all that is needed to fix it. Still, if it's the only place where your music is stored, that means you loose all that music.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm not so sure the iPod Classic is the best solution to your needs here. It doesn't make a good backup drive; it shouldn't be relied on for being the only place you store some MP3s.

The hard drive inside an iPod isn't very reliable. They have issues frequently. Most of the time, a simple wipe/restore and re-sync is all that is needed to fix it. Still, if it's the only place where your music is stored, that means you loose all that music.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.

matd2100

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
I would like to point out at this point that my iPod classic 160gb bought in 2006 is still going strong, the hard drive is still healthy and its battery is still pretty good. This compares with the 4th gen iPod classic I had with a b&w screen - that one died after 3 or 4 years (although that one did get dropped once or twice whilst in a silicon case whereas I've never dropped my 160gb ipod classic). So hard drive reliability in newer ipod classics seems to have improved based on my experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.