Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
My iphone 4s recently completely died due to a power surge. I brought it to Apple last night and the girl helping me said I had two options. I can either get a replacement 4S for $199 or an iPhone 5 for $450 (I am still not up for the full upgrade price for 2 more months).

She said that either option counts toward my upgrade. So I went for the iPhone 5, naturally.

And naturally I am a bit upset since I have been waiting for the 5s for quite some time now.

I did more research when I got home and read in a few places that their replacement does *not* count toward an upgrade. If I knew that, I would have went from the replacement and got rid of it after I upgraded.

Does anyone know either way if it counts toward the upgrade or not? And if not, do you think I can still return the i5 and get the replacement still?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
It should not count as your upgrade. Personally I believe the woman was wrong or was just telling you that because she didn't know what she was talking about.

I am pretty for sure that you should still be able to get the 5S when it comes out

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The 4s price is the out of warranty replacement price however the 5 price looks like an upgrade to me.

Apples policy is like for like.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If the person sold you a new phone (ie it came in a box with headphones, cable, charger, etc), then yes, they used your upgrade.

If they gave you a warranty replacement phone only (ie you didn't leave with a box or any new accessories), then you didn't use your upgrade.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
You know I didn't even think about that. I think with the i5 that it probably is considered your upgrade but the 4s price would have been the oow price ...

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Unless the Apple Store employee did something she shouldn't have done, she caused you to lose your upgrade. As others have said, paying the $200 to get your 4S replaced wouldn't have used your upgrade- but getting the iPhone 5 definitely counted as an upgrade. Apple does not offer any sort of deal that allows you to pay more to get a newer model when your device needs replacing. Even if Apple wanted to do so, the carriers would never allow that.

Your best bet would be to speak to the manager of the store and explain the situation. I'm not seeing a good end to this one, unfortunately, but it doesn't hurt to try.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would return the phone if I were you. You used an early upgrade.

An out of warranty replacement can only be used to get the same phone. You can't use it to upgrade your phone.

Did you have to sign anything?

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
You should be able to return it since you definitely used your upgrade. This will reset your eligibility. Have your 4S replaced OOW. Or, if you have another beater phone you can use for the next couple of months, wait for the 5S.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
And if not, do you think I can still return the i5 and get the replacement still?
Yes, you can return the iPhone 5, which should reset your AT&T upgrade. You should also be able to make a reservation at the Genius Bar and pay $199 to have your broken iPhone 4S "fixed". They usually will just give you a warranty replacement phone vs actually fixing yours on-site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.