Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just sold my MP 3,1, and was planning on replacing it with the current Mac Mini (i7 2,6GHz).
But... I´ve a GTX 570 (-edition), and a Sonnet Tempo Pro 6G laying here, which is almost impossible to sell. Got a few bids, but the price were ridiculous low, so I decided to keep the items. I also kept my two HP 23xi screen :D

So, right now a used MP seems to be a good choice. Thinking 4,1 8-core 2,26GHz, or single 2,66.
With the 2,66 I could do the 5,1 hack, and replace the CPU with a W3680... The price is nearly the same.

Which one to choose?

To be honest, I really don´t need a MP, but I love the design. Right now my MBP, is powerful enough for what I do with it.

Internet, mail, PhotoShop, Lightroom and Aperure is what I use the most. Editing pictures from my Nikon D300.

I´m no hurry. Might be around christmas before I make the buy. And, btw, the new MP is out of the question due to price - plus I don´t like the design.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
My colleague got a 4.1 2.66ghz then upgraded it to the hex. He's happy and enjoying his machine. Your Sonnet Tempo and 570GTX would run well in that machine.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well, two for the base 4,1...
Just surfed the net, and it seems like the 4,1 with firmware-hack and the hex CPU is faster than it´s DP brother...
Only downside on the SP unit is, that there only is 4 RAM slots of which only three is supposed to be used.
On the other side, a 3*8GB kit from OWC should be enough.

Keep it coming.
And please keep in mind, I live in Denmark, were these machines is very expensive compared to the US!!

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Well, two for the base 4,1...
Just surfed the net, and it seems like the 4,1 with firmware-hack and the hex CPU is faster than it´s DP brother...
Only downside on the SP unit is, that there only is 4 RAM slots of which only !

The Dual-Processor 4,1 can be tricky to upgrade because the CPUs are not lidded. Tightening the heatsinks just the right way is critical and seems like a lot of problems to go through.

The single-processor is simple to work with when swapping CPU. I recommend the single CPU 4,1.

If you don't really need a Mac Pro to start with, then you certainly don't need 2 processors and the headaches that go with the 4,1 dp CPU swap.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Dual-Processor 4,1 can be tricky to upgrade because the CPUs are not lidded. Tightening the heatsinks just the right way is critical and seems like a lot of problems to go through.

The single-processor is simple to work with when swapping CPU. I recommend the single CPU 4,1.

If you don't really need a Mac Pro to start with, then you certainly don't need 2 processors and the headaches that go with the 4,1 dp CPU swap.
I´m aware of the possible frustrations regarding CPU swap in the DP 4,1...

Hex in the hacked 4,1 seems stronger than the DP 2,26GHz, so it might be a better choice.

Wether I need a MP or not, is not important, as I´ve already decided, that the Mini wil be ... Well, too much mini. Even though I don´t game, I want a decent graphic card, in case I start to play WoW again.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
I´m aware of the possible frustrations regarding CPU swap in the DP 4,1...
Wether I need a MP or not, is not important, as I´ve already decided, that the Mini wil be ... Well, too much mini. Even though I don´t game, I want a decent graphic card, in case I start to play WoW again.

I am like you. I don't NEED the Mac Pro, but I like it anyway for the design and expansion/customizing capabilities.

Personally, I would really not like to have to deal with the dual-processor swap. It looks very risky and difficult. The single was simple and fun to do.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks. Unless someone come up with a very good reason for the DP, I´ll "settle" with SP, do the hack and replace the stock CPU with the hex.

Hopefully the prices will go down when the new MP hit the marked.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Considering an upgrade to a 4,1 from my 3,1. Does anyone have any geekbench results from the SP and DP Hex. I'd love to see the differences between the two.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Hey Lou,

I think I worded what I meant to say wrong. I mean I want to upgrade from my 3,1 to a 4,1 and then possibly upgrade the 4,1 to the hex. But was unsure wether or not I want to get a SP or DP 4,1 since I'm hearing the DP is a lot more trouble. So I wanted to see the before and after geekbench results if someone had recorded them upgrading to the hex for both SP and DP.

I looked at the 2010 12 cores on that site though and used that as a reference point. So I'm guessing it's roughly in the 20,000's.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The DP CPU 4,1 machine is a PITA to upgrade processors because for some reason Apple chose to use lidless CPUs. The single CPU model uses regular lidded CPUs as do all 5,1 models. There have been various methods described on different threads outlining procedures used to update the DP 4,1 Mac Pro. Some involve the use of washers to make up for the different in height between the lidless and lidded processors others make up the difference by using thermal tape, and there is a thread of someone actually removing the lid from a CPU so it will fit like the original. If you need any help in finding them let me know.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.