Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Plx32
macrumors newbie

iOS 6 once iOS 7 is released...

I have a few questions. Based on iOS history, once iOS 7 is released, those who would want to stay on iOS 6 :

a) who get an update badge on the Settings app, impossible to remove unless they jailbreak ?

b) would not be able to restore from an iOS 6 ipsw file, since that version would not be signed anymore ?
So any major problem would force them to restore to iOS 7 ?

Am I right ?
Plx32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:18 AM   #2
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Yes to both.
TheRainKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:27 AM   #3
ethan028
macrumors 6502a

It's time to move on. By the time iOS 7 hits.
ethan028 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
SeenJeen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan028 View Post
It's time to move on. By the time iOS 7 hits.
If iOS 7 isn't adding significant features for people, there's nothing to move on to.

The very computer I'm writing this on is running Snow Leopard, since Lion or Mountain Lion adds no really useful features.

I always recommend to people to wait for .1 or .2 releases of iOS, since the first release is still very buggy, especially on an major overhaul like iOS 7.
SeenJeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenJeen View Post
If iOS 7 isn't adding significant features for people, there's nothing to move on to.

The very computer I'm writing this on is running Snow Leopard, since Lion or Mountain Lion adds no really useful features.

I always recommend to people to wait for .1 or .2 releases of iOS, since the first release is still very buggy, especially on an major overhaul like iOS 7.
I will agree that the very first release is very buggy, since I had iOS 6.0 when I got my iPhone 5 and upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 I noticed a significant change in the performance.

However once the release of iOS 7 is out I will upgrade right away...I cant wait to leave iOS 6 for good

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Control Center alone is a pretty big "significant feature". Not to mention the dozens of smaller features. Such as the ability to FINALLY have granular control and a breakdown of each app's data usage.

And it's really not a comparable situation between iOS and OS X. Many people still use Snow Leopard, but nobody uses iOS 3.0 anymore- both released in the same year. OS X has long been a solid, feature-filled OS, and that's why Snow Leopard is still a viable choice. The rate of progress in iOS is much faster and you'll begin to miss out on new features and new apps much quicker- some apps already support iOS versions no earlier than 6.1, and I'm willing to bet that iOS 6/6.1 support will be dropped even faster than iOS 5 support is presently dropping due to the immense amount of API changes included in iOS 7.

I completely understand waiting a couple of weeks after release to make sure that you don't become a victim of a show-stopping bug, but the move to iOS 7 is something that really shouldn't be delayed for too long.
Tubamajuba is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Plx32
macrumors newbie

Still, they should at least give you the possibility to restore from a saved iOS 6 ipsw file, if you made the effort to save it and never upgraded to iOS 7 before...

I intend to wait a little while before I upgrade to iOS 7, because I really like my iOS classic

I tried iOS 7 for a month then switched back to iOS 6 and it's like I found what made the iPhone magic again...
Plx32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:26 PM   #8
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plx32 View Post
Still, they should at least give you the possibility to restore from a saved iOS 6 ipsw file, if you made the effort to save it and never upgraded to iOS 7 before...

I intend to wait a little while before I upgrade to iOS 7, because I really like my iOS classic

I tried iOS 7 for a month then switched back to iOS 6 and it's like I found what made the iPhone magic again...
So you tried the Beta of iOS 7 for a month and that made up your mind?!

It's always been the case - once a new version of iOS is released, the previous versions are no longer signed (unless its the last version your device will support, like iOS 6 on the 3GS).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Eventually you will be using the new iOS anyway if you plan to continue using an iphone/ipad, might aswell just jump and get used to it early like i did i miss my jailbreak but control center and the new ui make it easier; whe just need quickreply Apple !
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Skika
macrumors 68020

Feel free to cling to the past and familiarity while the rest of us move along to the fresh future, we will be waiting for you to get your courage and jump.

Do your best!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:51 AM   #11
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all. If something new comes out and its free, I don't see why anyone would want to stick to something old and out of date. If iOS wan't bringing anything new in the way of features and doing things, it wouldn't be released. I haven't used it myself yet, but have seen the feedback of what it is bringing and I can't agree it is not adding any 'significant features for people'. I think perhaps it is one of those things where people are determined not to like it or give it a go. I say move with the times and see.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:58 AM   #12
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all.
One example: Beta versions of iOS 7 are significantly slower on iPhone 4 than iOS 6. If the release version is also slower, than it may be a perfect reason for iPhone 4 users to stay with iOS 6.

The real problem is that one cannot downgrade once Apple stops signing the previous version (AFAIK iPhone 4 is an exception here, *if* you have shsh files copied). So, when you accidentaly update, you have no way back.
g-7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:04 AM   #13
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-7 View Post
One example: Beta versions of iOS 7 are significantly slower on iPhone 4 than iOS 6. If the release version is also slower, than it may be a perfect reason for iPhone 4 users to stay with iOS 6.

The real problem is that one cannot downgrade once Apple stops signing the previous version (AFAIK iPhone 4 is an exception here, *if* you have shsh files copied). So, when you accidentaly update, you have no way back.
Fair enough I understand those reasons. It might be the perfect time for iPhone 4 users to consider upgrading during the next release. I don't keep phones for longer than 2 years maximum as I used to be sick to death of falling out of favour with the developers when updates came out. The iPhone 4 is 3 and half years old now so I can understand why it would struggle with iOS 7. I can imagine when iOS 8 or whatever comes out this time next year my iP5 will start to lack capability so it'll be time to change and coincide with my upgrade date
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:18 AM   #14
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

That's just your opinion.

Full Screen Apps
Notes/Reminders
Launchpad

I use these features all the time so I wouldn't be able to go back to Snow Leopard.
TheRainKing is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:33 AM   #15
HarryAinslie
macrumors regular

I don't understand why people would want to live in the past.

Until you've used iOS 7 as your daily driver then you haven't experienced it fully, i've been using it since Beta 1 and still finding cool things with it!

You gotta learn to evolve folks, this is why Apple is still stamping it's ground on the market place, because it as a company has the ability to evolve! Woz did a interview a few days ago explaining how Microsoft etc haven't evolved, and he's right! They're still boring old microsoft with the boring same features!

You couldn't possibly say that iOS 7 brings LESS to the table than iOS 6 does, therefore it would be silly not to upgrade!
ATV 3 | Time Capsule
HarryAinslie is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:46 AM   #16
Plx32
macrumors newbie

I tried iOS 7 for a month, and I felt my iPhone had somewhat lost its magic...
When I reinstalled iOS 6, the magic was back.

That's why I intend to stay on iOS 6 as long as possible.

I'm not saying that iOS 7 is unusable (there are some nice features, and it is basically the same OS with a new skin), but there are so many things I dislike (control center looks ugly to me, 3 tabs in notification center ??, opaque video controls ?? really ??, etc.. ) that it feels less fun and cool to use IMO.
Plx32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:06 AM   #17
SeenJeen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
That's just your opinion.

Full Screen Apps
Notes/Reminders
Launchpad

I use these features all the time so I wouldn't be able to go back to Snow Leopard.
Exactly. This is just your opinion. I use literally nothing of what you listed, and in fact, on my ML machine, I removed LaunchPad from my dock and put in an Applications grid stack because LaunchPad is atrociously garbage. What was Apple thinking?

I've been using the iOS 7 betas on my spare iPhone, but no new features are awful like Launchpad.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:07 AM   #18
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Some people value stability over shiny new features.

Me? I need the shiny new features.
JaySoul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:09 AM   #19
SeenJeen
macrumors regular

Quote:
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all. If something new comes out and its free, I don't see why anyone would want to stick to something old and out of date. If iOS wan't bringing anything new in the way of features and doing things, it wouldn't be released. I haven't used it myself yet, but have seen the feedback of what it is bringing and I can't agree it is not adding any 'significant features for people'. I think perhaps it is one of those things where people are determined not to like it or give it a go. I say move with the times and see.
Bugs and performance. .0 release are usually slower and more bug filled than the previous iOS version.

The point being made here is that people don't need to upgrade right away, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:16 AM   #20
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Bugs and performance. .0 release are usually slower and more bug filled than the previous iOS version.

The point being made here is that people don't need to upgrade right away, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I can understand your point, but that was not the OP's point. They are not upgrading, because they feel the 'magic' has been lost with iOS 7. My advice to that would be to consider using another OS as iOS 6 will soon be outdated once updates move on.

You are right that there is nothing wrong with not updating right away and there is nothing wrong with choosing to update either from my point of view.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:21 AM   #21
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

If security improvements aren't enough of a reason to update, then by all means stick with your outdated OS.

Other than that, I would reserve judgement for the official release before judging iOS 7 by its speed or performance.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:23 AM   #22
naasrd
macrumors regular

For me, iOS 7 has, more or less, made my iPhone 5 into a whole new experience. I liked 6, a lot. But 7 has raised the bar more than a little and I can only look forward.
naasrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
If security improvements aren't enough of a reason to update, then by all means stick with your outdated OS.

Other than that, I would reserve judgement for the official release before judging iOS 7 by its speed or performance.
An OS is not outdated unless none of the software and hardware supports it. You can say iOS 1-4 is outdated, but iOS 5 and iOS 6 is hardly outdated.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:04 AM   #24
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
New doesn't meant better (and at least certainly not necessarily better for everyone) simply because it's new.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:09 AM   #25
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
New doesn't meant better (and at least certainly not necessarily better for everyone) simply because it's new.
I know. I'm in an ongoing discussion about this in the following posts. My point was originally being made against those who will not upgrade simply because they dislike change, not the people who avoid buggy releases or feel their 3 and a half year old iPhone will not run the new OS smoothly. Obviously I don't want to keep repeating that.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7