Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
I still have a 2008 Penryn MBP that most likely fell victim to the batch of faulty GPUs. Unfortunately the MBP was a few months out of the 3 year apple care period when it started showing graphical artefacts and the random freezing, so I set it aside. At some point I realized that apple extended the replacement policy for these issues - unfortunately, again only just a few months after that program had stopped.

As I would hate throwing away a good piece of engineering and a (presumably) otherwise fine computer (battery needs replacement as well ofc.), what are the odds of fixing the GPU?

I have read about people baking their books to the effect of rebonding brittle solder joints. In many cases to no or only temporary success. So that is not something I would pursue.

Then, there are online services offering repairs (in Germany) that have received less than stellar reviews (people not getting their stuff back, getting it back without problem resolution, fighting over money ...)

Does anyone know of a solid option on getting this brick repaired? Preferably in Europe/Germany?

If it is not possible to repait it, what are the chances of salvaging components? I really do not want to turn this thing into material waste, even if the cost effective solution would be to dump it and get a replacement.

Thanks.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I think your best bet is to try to find the same model with a busted display, then the salvage the motherboard from it to put in yours.

cjoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
that may prove to be difficult. ebay is apparently full of penryns with defective gpu/logic boards :(

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
What country are you in? Depending on where you are you may have laws that protect you beyond the warranty period. For example, in the UK, and presumably the rest of the EU, Apple are now having to state that sales regulations mean that you will receive free repairs (up to six years in the UK, excluding Scotland) if the machine as not performed to expectations. It would be worth checking out the consumer laws where you bought the machine.

Also, try speaking with Apple. While you may be out of warranty they'll be aware of the issue and the fact that it isn't an end user caused problem. They may be reasonable and offer a repair.

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
Does anyone know of a solid option on getting this brick repaired? Preferably in Europe/Germany?

If it is not possible to repait it, what are the chances of salvaging components? I really do not want to turn this thing into material waste, even if the cost effective solution would be to dump it and get a replacement.

Thanks.

I was going to ask how much you'd take for it, but then I saw the "Germany". My logic board was replaced under warranty. I could use a new(er) keyboard and upper case; it turns out that leaving one in the workshop in winter causes batteries to swell. Who knew? :p

cjoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
well ... they sell for about $200 - but I'm not trying to salvage money from this MBP. At that price, it makes financially more sense to keep the brick and leave it sitting on the shelf as a solid reminder for whenever the iWant syndrom sets in.

Guess I'll try my luck with the apple store and see if they can make a sensible offer for the repair.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Not possible to replace GPU itself, the whole Logic Board needs replacing.

I suppose those chips were just birthed with the board?

Of course you can replace the GPU itself - you simply need the correct tool for the job.

What you specific need to look into, is BGA array (de)soldering.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Try to bake it - I'd be hesitant to buy parts to fix it since it's just a matter of time before it happens again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.