Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R1D1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
So here is the story to where I am ....

Ny 2008 vintage MacPro (running OSX 10.6.8) had a major blowup (the GPU card blew and took the power supply and some logic board components, and also disturbed the OS on the HDD). I got the computer repaired, and it would boot into safe mode but needed to have the hard drive reformatted and the OS reinstalled. So I had two options ... use as a base a Carbon Copy Clone I had of the drive a few months before (i.e. not quite up to date but close) or use a Time Machine backup. For whatever reason I cannot fathom, it refuses to do the time machine recovery, claiming the OS's are different (except both are 10.6.8. So, I used the CCC backup, which is on a rather small 250 Gb hard drive, to create a clone onto a new 1 Tb drive. I created this 1 Tb drive on a Mac Pro running 10.8.4. A single partition, regular Mac OSX Extended Journaled, GUID partitioned. I use CCC to create the new drive from the old smaller HDD (I have tried this while in 10.8.4, and when I am in 10.6.8 ... same outcome). I can boot from this 10.6.8 drive on the MacPro that normally runs 10.8.4, no problem. I transfer this drive over to the older machine, it will not boot, just get the folder with a question mark. I insert the install disc to use Disk Utility, and Disk Utility tells me the drive is formatted as MBR. I put the HDD back into the newer MacPro, it tells me it is Extended Journaled.

So, I put the new 1Tb drive back into the older machine, and using Disk Utility, re-partition and reformat the HDD in the old machine, again as OSX Extended Journaled, GUID. I put it back in the new machine to use CCC again, and it tells me it is MBR and won't let me copy the files. I reformat it yet again, Extended Journaled and GUID, copy the files over, but again, the old machine insists it is MBR and will not boot

I really cannot figure this one out. The new machine tells me the disc is good, and it boots normally, the old machine thinks it is formatted wrong and won't boot. Resetting the PRAM makes no difference. This has me stumped. Any suggestions ? The only thing I have not tried (will do this tomorrow) is using CCC and the small HDD and the new 1 Tb drive entirely in the old machine, booting from the repaired but possibly flakey original drive which has a new install of 10.6.8 on it) which I will do, but what I have already tried SHOULD really work ....

Richard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.