Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Begins Training U.S. Retail Store Employees for Upcoming iPhone Trade-In Program

Back in June, it was reported that Apple was getting ready to launch an iPhone trade-in program at its U.S. retail stores, partnering with recycling firm Brightstar to give customers instant credit for their old iPhones to drive upgrades to newer models. According to the report from Bloomberg, the old iPhones would be refurbished and sold in emerging markets, lowering the cost of entry in those countries while preventing cannibalization of new device sales in Apple's established markets.

There has been little in the way of update on Apple's plans for the program since June, but MacRumors has now received word from several sources reporting that Apple is indeed beginning to prepare its store employees for the program. Apple has reportedly sent materials to its stores to support the initiative, while the first line of store trainers will be receiving instruction about the program today. Those trainers will then begin training other store employees next week ahead of a program launch.

We have yet to hear exactly when Apple plans to officially open the program, but it seems set to arrive just as the company unveils its next generation of iPhone hardware at a media event on September 10. The new lineup is expected to include both an iPhone 5S successor to the current iPhone 5 as well as a new iPhone 5C that is said to be essentially an iPhone 5 repackaged into a plastic shell available in a variety of bright colors.

Update: TechCrunch has some additional info about how the program works, including the fact that it is already live at a number of pilot Apple Stores in the U.S.:
Quote:
A customer brings a working, non-liquid-damaged iPhone into an Apple Retail Store. It's then evaluated by an employee with the help of an online site that a customer can access using the store's iMacs or iPads. The customer then answers a series of questions about the condition of the device in order to determine a value.

That value can be used in credit for a new device but only if the customer has an upgrade credit available. So there is a carrier check involved. If a user does not have an upgrade credit, they could presumably pay the early termination fee of their carrier and use the credit towards a new device on another carrier.
The value of the trade-in varies depending on physical condition, capacity, and color. TechCrunch claims 16GB iPhone 4 and 4S models range in value from $120-200.

Update 2: MacRumors has now heard that the program is scheduled to launch on August 30.

Article Link: Apple Begins Training U.S. Retail Store Employees for Upcoming iPhone Trade-In Program
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2
musika
macrumors 65816

I'll probably be sending my 4S to Gazelle next month when my 5S comes. I've done eBay, but I feel like going the recycle route this year.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
quantumphysics
macrumors member

anyone have any idea how much the trade-in program was in the past for the latest model (in this case the 5)..?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
orangebluedevil
macrumors 6502

Ohhhh helllllo Apple employees! Prices please
orangebluedevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
boshii
macrumors 68040

It will be pretty convenient to trade in your old iPhone and buy your new one in the same place.
boshii is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
ScottishDuck
macrumors 6502

If the price on the 5 is good enough I'll totally trade mine in
ScottishDuck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
munakib
macrumors 6502

I will definitely be handing over my 4S to pickup either an AWS iPhone 5/5S. I hope the apple store in Canada are also getting the training or else I will have to find an excuse to travel to NY again.
munakib is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Too bad they won't have it in Canada
Rudy69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
If they match Gazelle, I would much rather just trade it in at the Apple Store versus sending it in and going through all that.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Koulie
macrumors regular

Good news for mine and my family member's iPhone 4's that are just collecting dust in my house...
Koulie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

I'm hoping I can trade in my iPhone 4 even though it is exhibiting a yellow tint on the upper right side of the screen and a sticky home button, again.
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:12 AM   #12
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

I hope it's not going to be like University book stores.

"Oh whats that? You paid $348 on this textbook four months ago? We'll give you $5.67 for it."
aprofetto8 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #13
xero9
macrumors 6502

Here's to hoping this will not be a US only service. Would love to be able to trade in my 5 if the price is right.
xero9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:15 AM   #14
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

It's convenient but a lot less than what you can sell it for on craigslist. As long as you use common sense, craigslist can is relatively safe. People get in trouble when they agree to meet at someone's apartment, meet outside where one party can run away, or agree to ship the device.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #15
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

anyone who thinks they will be offering reasonable return prices is just naive. This is a marketing ploy to get you into the store and buy a new one, then they repackage and resell your traded in one at a profit to 2nd world countries.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I tried this with my 3GS when I bought my 4S but they said they couldn't do anything with it.

Glad to hear they finally fixed it... it seems like a no brainer and I'm surprised it took them 7 generations* to do it.

*Plus all those generations of iPod before the iPhone
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #17
trife
macrumors regular

To each his own, but I'd rather take the 15-20 minutes it takes to take pics and create a listing on CL/eBay, than get lowballed on a trade-in program.

And if Apple's prices are anything like Gazelle, they can kick rocks. Last I checked, an unlocked iPhone 5 in excellent condition was fetching $320 on Gazelle.

All that said, trading a phone in would definitely be a lot less hassle. Good money grab for Apple.
trife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Right now you can lock in your trade-in to Gazelle starting at $315 for a "good" iPhone 5 16GB, which isn't too bad. Also, it locks the quote in until October 15th, plenty of time to decide whether to upgrade or not.

On eBay/CL you could probably get an extra $150, but there is more risk.

If Apple matches the quote I might be more apt to just do it with them, less hassle.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 AM   #19
ifij775
macrumors regular

I think this is a great way for Apple to maintain a customer relationship, and make some money in the used device market.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:31 AM   #20
iMerik
macrumors 6502

I'm still on my first smart phone (iPhone 4S), so I haven't head to think much about what to do with it when it's time to upgrade. I always dread that choice when it comes to technology for some reason. Since it was recently fully replaced through AppleCare, it's in great quality and I think I'll be able to get a good price for it... if I even upgrade!
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Newjackboy
macrumors member

This story about selling in 3rd world countries is bull. If apple buy your old iphone 5 and 4s - yes they will clean up and repackage and then simply use as refurbishment phones when customers come in with problems. These refurbs will be used in all countries, including the US

Only other option for apple is to sell to a private company who would then sell on to street traders and other unofficial channels. No decent shop anywhere in the world will sell these as refurbs.
Newjackboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Elihudude
macrumors newbie

This program is already in effect at the Dallas market Apple stores. My friend got $211 for her iPhone 4S and upgraded to the 5. Honestly for the simplicity, I would highly recommend going to an Apple store for trading up. Much easier than using an online service.
Elihudude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:36 AM   #23
giantfan1224
macrumors 6502a

You can get $385 right now on orangeoffer.com for a 16 GB iPhone 5.
giantfan1224 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #24
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Ok, the iPhone 4 y 4S are history then, you will be able to exchange them for an 5C or 5 or 5S
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #25
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
This story about selling in 3rd world countries is bull. If apple buy your old iphone 5 and 4s - yes they will clean up and repackage and then simply use as refurbishment phones when customers come in with problems. These refurbs will be used in all countries, including the US

Only other option for apple is to sell to a private company who would then sell on to street traders and other unofficial channels. No decent shop anywhere in the world will sell these as refurbs.
Or, they could, you know, REFURBISH THEM.

/story.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion