Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Anyone looking into this? Is it a rip-off or is it a good deal? I can't get an upgrade for another year and I am looking into this program to get the new iPhone when it comes out, upgrading from an iPhone 4.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Anyone looking into this? Is it a rip-off or is it a good deal? I can't get an upgrade for another year and I am looking into this program to get the new iPhone when it comes out, upgrading from an iPhone 4.

I would be cautious of this plan. Verizon doesn't give anything away for free.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
It only benefits people that want to upgrade early but are too lazy to sell their old phone. Since you're paying double, the phone is now paid off at the 1 year mark instead of the 2. But your payments go on for 2 years if you don't upgrade.

If you upgrade at the 6 month mark, you're essentially selling your old phone back to Verizon for 25% of what you paid for it. Obviously you could make more $$$ if you Craigslisted it but some people need to own the latest and greatest and are too lazy to sell the old one. If that's the case Edge works I guess.

If you upgrade at the 1 year mark, your phone is already paid off but you now have to give it back to Verizon to get the upgrade. You've basically paid full price for a loaner unit. At this point in time you could've just bought a new phone off contract while also retaining the old one so it's dumb.

If you don't upgrade, you're paying for the same phone twice over 2 years, AKA $1200 for a $600 phone. Which is dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.