Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Simple question could be the mobile OS of your choice (Windows Phone, iOS, Android, BB10, webOS, etc).

Would you see yourself being able to add a keyboard (maybe in a transformer or Surface sense) and go to town?

Reactions: Billy95Tech

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, it sounds awfully like windows 8 RT to me, and we know how successful that has been.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Simple question could be the mobile OS of your choice (Windows Phone, iOS, Android, BB10, webOS, etc).

Would you see yourself being able to add a keyboard (maybe in a transformer or Surface sense) and go to town?

I have a laptop with Windows 8 on it. It's the same exact version on my tablet, so yeah. I do see myself doing it, and I have. Of course Windows RT and Windows Phone are the same OS with a different UI layer, too, so... I think Microsoft is already there.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Nope, it sounds awfully like windows 8 RT to me, and we know how successful that has been.

So you wouldn't want one because it hasn't sold well? I'm not trying to argue for you to get one, but a lack of other people buying something should never be the reason for you to not. Everybody's needs are different.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 on it. It's the same exact version on my tablet, so yeah. I do see myself doing it, and I have. Of course Windows RT and Windows Phone are the same OS with a different UI layer, too, so... I think Microsoft is already there.

Or at the very least, they're getting there.

Nailed it.

/end thread :)

Look at my first response, it's for you too.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Hell no. I wouldn't even buy a tablet with a mobile OS on it.

Weird.

I'm guessing this is the moment when you tell me that Windows 8 tablets with Bay Trail atom tablets will give the battery life of an ARM tablet with the ability to run a full OS? ;)

Reactions: M. Gustave

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
No. As in, I don't like Windows 8.

A mobile OS is more than just a UI layer.

I was speaking more to the idea of a completely mobile OS (those things take consideration for mobile phone battery sizes, ergo they do less than a full OS). Windows 8 is a desktop OS thrown onto a tablet with a tablet UI.

----------

Naw.

In fact, not too crazy about iOS features finding their way into OSX.

Which features do you dislike?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
A mobile OS is more than just a UI layer.

I was speaking more to the idea of a completely mobile OS (those things take consideration for mobile phone battery sizes, ergo they do less than a full OS). Windows 8 is a desktop OS thrown onto a tablet with a tablet UI.

----------

Which features do you dislike?

I know it's not really a mobile OS, it just feels like it was made more for a tablet than for a laptop sometimes....

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I know it's not really a mobile OS, it just feels like it was made more for a tablet than for a laptop sometimes....

Then 8.1 will definitely be up in your alley. Straight to Desktop, ability to turn off hot corners, they're adding in some nice things to make sure that you barely have to see the Start Screen.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Weird.

I'm guessing this is the moment when you tell me that Windows 8 tablets with Bay Trail atom tablets will give the battery life of an ARM tablet with the ability to run a full OS? ;)

Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth!! Not only battery life, but size and weight. It's all about perspective, for me NOT having a full OS on a tablet is what is weird. I'm not putting down your choice, but I am saying that it is weird to me, just as my choice is weird to you, and most likely either of our choices are predicated on our uses of our tablets.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth!! Not only battery life, but size and weight. It's all about perspective, for me NOT having a full OS on a tablet is what is weird. I'm not putting down your choice, but I am saying that it is weird to me, just as my choice is weird to you, and most likely either of our choices are predicated on our uses of our tablets.

Don't get me wrong, my next tablet in a couple years is probably going to be a full OS tablet, completing my shift to one device. I think atom tablets are getting there, but I don't think they're my answer just yet.

Like I've said to others, the main reason I got my Surface was full Office. Now if only the web apps did Real Time Collab, because GDocs works crappy on a lot of browsers that aren't Chrome.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Naw.

In fact, not too crazy about iOS features finding their way into OSX.

You don't like some of the features coming over to OSX? I like how you can set reminders or notes on one device and it carries over to the other. iMessage from your laptop is very nice as well. The cloud integration is very nice in my opinion. Surprised that you don't care for it much.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Is windows 8 RT that bad?

Not really for me.

It depends on what you expect out of it.

It's a competitor to the iPad, and it does rather well at that. It will never be a full desktop/laptop replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.