Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
i bought my MBA 2013, 3 days ago. Once mavericks updates, will i get a free update?

thanks

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In the past, free updates have only been available if you bought the computer after the release date had been announced.

In other words, it's looking like a "no", but it'll likely only be a $20 upgrade.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
In the past, free updates have only been available if you bought the computer after the release date had been announced.

In other words, it's looking like a "no", but it'll likely only be a $20 upgrade.

Though sometimes you can go to the apple store and gain a freebie if it's within a few days of a new launch. You occasionally get that one nice Genius who will update you.

Though $20 ain't going to break the bank ;)

Andyvarberg

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Sweden
$20 will not break the bank, but after spending almost $1600 on a brand spanking new MacBook Air one would expect a little bit of consumer courtesy. However, we knew the new OS was on the way, but I couldn't wait :D My new air will be here in 2 days!

My reasoning was that Mavericks might be buggy as hell, so better to have a working OS on my new Air and update after a few weeks.

Judith123

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
New York
I'm looking forward to the new Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Even you bought MBA 2013 3 days ago, I'm afraid that you need to pay some money for the updates. :(

locoroco

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Apple usually gives an allotted timeframe from when you bought a Mac for a free OS upgrade.

I bought a Mac before Snow Leopard was announced (launch date) and still got a free upgrade. It was somewhere no longer than a month from the OSX release date. You might fit into that slot if they release it before the end of September

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think you'll have to pay....I had Lion free, as the my previous Imac shipped with SL, but Lion was released whilst my Imac was in transit, so I qualified for the free upgrade....check with Apple, but as posted, it's not exactly expensive, and some folks may not want to upgrade right away. I'm going to put it on my rMBP but am leaving the Imac until we know how stable the new OSX is.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Based on last year, an upgrade will cost you 20bucks.

But also note that last year saw apple releasing the Airs and Pros simultaneously at WWDC.

This year Apple released the Air before, and it is safe to say that the Pros should be coming with Mavericks, or if Apple feels that Mavericks isn't stable by end Sep they might choose to have it come with M.Lion as default, and include a free upgrade.

What this means for the Haswell Air is entirely up to Apple.

There are a bunch of Haswell Airs in stock right now around the world, so those won't be coming with Mavericks. But they would need free upgrade as well, based on date of purchase.

Whether Apple will give a 1 month time frame, or choose to have all 2013 models be upgradable, is entirely up to them at this point.

Though, I personally feel that they would charge you because the money to be made kinda outweighs company goodwill at this point imo.

M0V3M3N7

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
London, UK
aren't they still giving out the $100 itunes card? use that.

^^ Ditto.

Also while I agree with the posters above saying that you may be able to wrangle a free download if you bought it very soon after the announcement, it may be better to wait 4 weeks and any bugs to clear before you download it. And for that, its worth paying the $20 upgrade fee. (to avoid a buggy system which you can't use)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i bought my MBA 2013, 3 days ago. Once mavericks updates, will i get a free update?

thanks

Maybe... last year with Mountain Lion Apple had an "Up to Date" program where if you bought a Mac after June 11 you got a free copy of Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion was released on July 25. It is a good bet they will do something similar this year with Mavericks.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
^^ Ditto.

Also while I agree with the posters above saying that you may be able to wrangle a free download if you bought it very soon after the announcement, it may be better to wait 4 weeks and any bugs to clear before you download it. And for that, its worth paying the $20 upgrade fee. (to avoid a buggy system which you can't use)

I bought mine at BB for 899$. had to pass up that 100$ itunes gift card.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
$20 will not break the bank, but after spending almost $1600 on a brand spanking new MacBook Air one would expect a little bit of consumer courtesy. However, we knew the new OS was on the way, but I couldn't wait :D My new air will be here in 2 days!

My reasoning was that Mavericks might be buggy as hell, so better to have a working OS on my new Air and update after a few weeks.

After giving you a MacBook Air worth $1600, Apple expects the courtesy of getting paid for the new OS.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I seriously doubt they will give it for free however it will be worth the $20. I would likely wait until 10.9.1 though because the first release tends to be buggy. I am sure I will put 10.9.0 on and regret it. Mountain Lion wasn't too bad but Lion 10.7.0 was really buggy and I regretted upgrading as snow leopard was so solid

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe... last year with Mountain Lion Apple had an "Up to Date" program where if you bought a Mac after June 11 you got a free copy of Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion was released on July 25. It is a good bet they will do something similar this year with Mavericks.

ah, okay. i hope they do it for this year too. fall is september 22, hopefully it gets released close to that date.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

basically that was the 2 week no-questions-asked return period. they didn't want people just returning the laptop and buying another one a week or 2 later just for the new OS.

so yeah -if you buy a new computer within 2 weeks of release they will definitely give it to you for free. if you're near to that 2 weeks then maybe, depending on the discretion of the person you happen to talk to. beyond that, unlikely.

----------

there is no such thing as a free lunch. the other way of looking at this is you bought that "brand spanking new macbook air" because to you it was worth at least $1600. Why would they give you a free upgrade beyond that?

Moreover, who do you think would shoulder the cost of giving people those "free" upgrades? everybody else.

"consumer courtesy" is upholding their end of the contract.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

basically that was the 2 week no-questions-asked return period. they didn't want people just returning the laptop and buying another one a week or 2 later just for the new OS.

so yeah -if you buy a new computer within 2 weeks of release they will definitely give it to you for free. if you're near to that 2 weeks then maybe, depending on the discretion of the person you happen to talk to. beyond that, unlikely.

You need to check the dates again. June 11, 2012 to July 25, 2012 is 44 days, not two weeks. This was far beyond the normal 14 day return period.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Is it generally a good idea to wait until 10.9.1 comes out before upgrading? Also, I have a fair number of third party apps on my computer. Let's say some of them don't get upgraded ever again. Would Mavericks break them or is it possible that they would still work?

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Moreover, who do you think would shoulder the cost of giving people those "free" upgrades? everybody else.

Except Apple has decided to make Mavericks free for EVERYONE that has Snow Leopard or newer on their systems.

So, guess there is such a thing as a free lunch...LOL

Ok, it's still not really free, as it does take time and bandwidth to install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.