Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
I just bought my new Macbook Air and i'm thrilled with it! It's the perfect laptop, however i'm concerned about turning it off. My question is this: i take my MBA everyday to college. When I travel with it, should i turn it off during the trip? It's like a one hour trip.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I just bought my new Macbook Air and i'm thrilled with it! It's the perfect laptop, however i'm concerned about turning it off. My question is this: i take my MBA everyday to college. When I travel with it, should i turn it off during the trip? It's like a one hour trip.

i ride my bike about 25 miles round trip to and from work. i have been doing this with my 2009 macbook on sleep for years and it still runs fine.

gmate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
20 hours of sleep or turned off?

Thanks guys. One more thing: in the past few days, since i bought my MBA, i've left it in sleep mode, always. However, i work during the day which means that i only go to my MBA when i get home, late in the afternoon, and i stop working with it late at night, resuming my work the next afternoon, leaving at sleep mode for about 20 hours. During that time, should it be turned off, or should i continue to leave it in sleep mode? This routine should continue till mid september. thanks in advance

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Thanks guys. One more thing: in the past few days, since i bought my MBA, i've left it in sleep mode, always. However, i work during the day which means that i only go to my MBA when i get home, late in the afternoon, and i stop working with it late at night, resuming my work the next afternoon, leaving at sleep mode for about 20 hours. During that time, should it be turned off, or should i continue to leave it in sleep mode? This routine should continue till mid september. thanks in advance

That's exactly what sleep mode is for. You're not hurting it.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida

Could you shed some light as to why this is a concern? maybe we could put your mind to ease better than just saying "yeah its fine let it sleep" if we knew your reasoning behind asking this question, because I find it a bit odd of a question.

gmate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Could you shed some light as to why this is a concern? maybe we could put your mind to ease better than just saying "yeah its fine let it sleep" if we knew your reasoning behind asking this question, because I find it a bit odd of a question.

I just ask these questions because this is my first MB, and i just want to be extra carefull with it xD

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I just ask these questions because this is my first MB, and i just want to be extra carefull with it xD

OK, well, putting it to sleep is basically the same as shutting it down, only a small amount of battery power is used to keep the system state alive in the ram, but everything else, powers off, when it starts to run out of battery power it will dump the ram data to the hard drive and go into deep sleep.

So you really have nothing to worry about as far as traveling with it sleeping.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
OK, well, putting it to sleep is basically the same as shutting it down, only a small amount of battery power is used to keep the system state alive in the ram, but everything else, powers off, when it starts to run out of battery power it will dump the ram data to the hard drive and go into deep sleep.

So you really have nothing to worry about as far as traveling with it sleeping.

yup. at idle with the display on the air draws about 10 times the wattage it does when it's asleep... and sleep only draws about 3 times the amount of wattage as it does when it's turned off.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
If it stays off, how would FIND MY MAC, find it?

The flip side to this question is how will Find My Mac find it unless it's connected to a previously joined (i.e. trusted) network? Granted, the university may have a campus wide wireless network that it may hop on but more than likely it would end up on a random network.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
You're fine bro. I probably shut down my MBA once a month :D.

Last edited:

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I had my Macbook Pro 2010 13" for 3 years, and I must've turned it off less than 50 times.
Don't worry about turning it off, makes little difference in the long run.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Yup I've kept mine in sleep since 2009. I only shut down when updates happen or things are hanging up. Enjoy the new computer!

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I'm not used to just shutting the MacBook Air "lid" and walking away (coming from a PC :) ) but the habit is slowly developing.

Sleep mode is great in Macs for short term travel.

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
I'm not used to just shutting the MacBook Air "lid" and walking away (coming from a PC :) ) but the habit is slowly developing.

Sleep mode is great in Macs for short term travel.

Same here as this is my first laptop lol. But i've already gotten into the habit of shutting the "lid" and carrying on with my tasks lol...i find it quite fun :D haha

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Same here as this is my first laptop lol. But i've already gotten into the habit of shutting the "lid" and carrying on with my tasks lol...i find it quite fun :D haha

Makes quite a statement when someone shuts a MacBook lid. Feels very unique, IMHO, like a period at the end of a sentence. :cool:

(I think this was something Microsoft tried to accomplish with the "clicking" effect of the kickstand in the MS Surface. They highlighted this several times when it was released)

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
Makes quite a statement when someone shuts a MacBook lid. Feels very unique, IMHO, like a period at the end of a sentence. :cool:

(I think this was something Microsoft tried to accomplish with the "clicking" effect of the kickstand in the MS Surface. They highlighted this several times when it was released)

I've never played around with any other laptop so I can't say anything but it is just an elegant piece of machinery and leaves you expressionless sometimes haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.