Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arctyler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I'm looking at this 13" macbook pro, and shortly after asking for a serial number, he calls me screaming his a** off and going off about how everyone asks for the serial number. I'm sitting here in dismay trying to comprehend what just happened... I just wanted the serial so I can look at all the specs on it and what not, and he just flipped out that I asked for it, asking if I am missing a stolen macbook pro.. like wtf? and then he asks me if I think the one he has stolen, strong wtf again? Like is it that big of a deal to just tell me the serial number?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I'm looking at this 13" macbook pro, and shortly after asking for a serial number, he calls me screaming his a** off and going off about how everyone asks for the serial number. I'm sitting here in dismay trying to comprehend what just happened... I just wanted the serial so I can look at all the specs on it and what not, and he just flipped out that I asked for it, asking if I am missing a stolen macbook pro.. like wtf? and then he asks me if I think the one he has stolen, strong wtf again? Like is it that big of a deal to just tell me the serial number?
You have the right to ask the serial number, if the seller has something to hide then will not give you the number. Stay away, look for someone who will tell you the number, that is the very basic thing you learn from buying a car also.
No serial number, no deal, as simple as mud.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

Tell him you want to use it to look up the specs. The fact that he thinks you think it is stolen and freaks out about it makes me a bit worried. Especially if he asked you specifically if you were missing a macbook pro. He should have no problem giving out the serial. Of course, giving out the serial can be a way for potential scammers to make fake listings. Maybe call back, explain why you want it, and then ask for it again? Then run it and see if anyone has reported it stolen ;) :rolleyes:

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
You have the right to ask the serial number, if the seller has something to hide then will not give you the number. Stay away, look for someone who will tell you the number, that is the very basic thing you learn from buying a car also.

Agreed especially with phones and stuff that connect to the 3G network like ipads and mobile routers and crap, buy something stolen and u may not be able to activate or get support. Try ebay :) ive had good luck there.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

Great advice. Take heed, OP. If he asks why everyone thinks it might be stolen, it's probably because they think it actually might be stolen. Giving out the serial develops trust between you and him, and there should be no reason he is not willing to give it out.

chibisukee

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
This is funny.
Probably because he doesn't want you to put the serial number in here.
Or because he stole that Macbook and is now worried that the person he stole it from is checking sites like Craigslist for their machine.

arctyler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Tell him you want to use it to look up the specs. The fact that he thinks you think it is stolen and freaks out about it makes me a bit worried. Especially if he asked you specifically if you were missing a macbook pro. He should have no problem giving out the serial. Of course, giving out the serial can be a way for potential scammers to make fake listings. Maybe call back, explain why you want it, and then ask for it again? Then run it and see if anyone has reported it stolen ;) :rolleyes:

Lol the funny part is thats exactly what i told him, i wanted it to look up specs since no police department around me even runs serial numbers anyways, i already tried, but he then told me after that, that the specs are already there, which was only the hard drive size and ram, no date, so i wanted it so i could look up the other stuff on it

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
This is how you protect yourself, you do not want cops knocking at your door and deal with the after effects, you may get some honest sellers who are willing to go to apple store and hand you the item to you, of course you have to pay, this way the genius bar will have a chance to check the machines is good for you, every doubt is clear and every one is happy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's nothing you can do with the serial number, other than looking up specs and checking to see if it is still under warranty/AppleCare or checking to see if it is stolen. The seller is not compromising any personal information by revealing the serial number. If the seller refuses to do so, it's a good sign that it may be a scam.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Lol the funny part is thats exactly what i told him, i wanted it to look up specs since no police department around me even runs serial numbers anyways, i already tried, but he then told me after that, that the specs are already there, which was only the hard drive size and ram, no date, so i wanted it so i could look up the other stuff on it

Lol. From what I remember there are a couple forums or something (maybe even apple) that keep records of serial #'s. Maybe just tell him if he can't provide the serial you aren't interested.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
You wouldn't buy a car without getting the registration number and checking it. No reason to give a serial number for a computer that I can think of.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Give me the guy's number. I'll tell him why I need the serial number.

:D

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
I would have yelled right back at him. Tell him if he wants a sale he needs to provide the number. Its "your" condition of sale. If he refuses then you go elsewhere. You do not NEED to buy from him.

This reminds me of a patient of mine who got pissed when he found out we checked with his other doc's b4 giving him Dilaudid. He was all "you have no right... you can't do that... how dare you.. blah blah". Turns out the idiot was on a contract and was not permitted Dilaudid.

Long story short... When people get so upset over BS stuff something is not right. I would NEVER buy anything from someone who is so pissed. ;)

Millionaire tip of the day: "Don't loose a ton of $$ just to save a little."

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Recently I was put in charge of buying a MacBook to replace my sister's dead PowerBook. Every person that refused to give me a serial number after my initial request got tossed into my block list and I would flag their CL ad. They would typically reply with the same "The specs are already there", meaning they said "14 inch MAC book with 200GB hard disk and 1GB RAM". Clearly we're nuts for wanting to see the exact generation or initial specs of the Mac.

In the end I bought a Mid-2009 MacBook (last multi-body generation) for $249 from a shop on Amazon. Shipped with a chipped top case but since it was still a newer model I was able to have Apple replace the top case at no charge.

My advice, flag his sale and keep looking.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I won't directly give the number but I will post the craigslist ad, he doesn't list a number although he responds through email pretty quick, and he will give his number over email.

http://albany.craigslist.org/sys/4025799577.html

EDIT: actually it does give the date it is made

Hmm.. I've seen deals around the same price on eBay, so maybe that would be a better option if he absolutely doesn't want to give the serial. Up to you though if you can stand him not giving a serial. At least he replies quickly and often. Still wouldn't recommend though.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
The only issue I could see with providing serials is that others could register the laptop with their name if it is not already registered...

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Are you not supposed to hand out serial numbers to potential buyers?

You guys are amateurs. Serial # can be use to fraud and scam, like waranty scam. Years ago guy pulled thousand of dollars from apple by faking ipod nano warranty and redirect the replacement units. That's why you see those listings always have serial# blur out. Just ask for apple online receipt it contains all specs you needed.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Serial # can be use to fraud and scam. Specially imei #. That's why you see those listings always have serial# blur out. Just ask for apple online receipt it contains all specs you needed.

A serial number is quite different than an
Code:
IMEI number. There is nothing they can do with the serial number that can harm the seller.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I always hand over the serial number to anyone interested in any of the items (including MacBooks) that I have sold in the past.
I have nothing to hide. If a seller will not give you the serial number, then that seller should be avoided or you could end up buying a stolen item!

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
I always hand over the serial number to anyone interested in any of the items (including MacBooks) that I have sold in the past.
I have nothing to hide. If a seller will not give you the serial number, then that seller should be avoided or you could end up buying a stolen item!

There is no way you could find out if its stolen item or not maybe later on cops show up. Honest ebay sellers always posted a receipt. If i were seller, i would post receipt and grab a pic of apple store online checkout with specs. I would not give out serial# if i were you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.