Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Patent Reveals Interest in 'Silent Disco' App Technology for iOS Devices

An unusual patent awarded to Apple today suggests that the company is looking into the possibility of integrating so-called "silent disco" technology into its upcoming devices, according to AppleInsider. The patent, No. 8,521,316, was first filed back in March 2010 and lists Sylvain Louboutin, a former Apple software engineer who now works at Roku as its inventor. It describes a "coordinated group musical experience" in which a "personal communication device" can be used to share music with a group of people.

The patent describes a system whereby musical characteristics such as tempo (BPM) are shared with nearby users and the user's device will automatically select songs that are similar in nature. The system would transmit the digital information of a song being played by one user, or the "roving DJ" as the patent calls it, to any connected devices over the local network. Unlike traditional silent discos, where the same song is transmitted across radio frequencies, this system will use the songs that are already present on a user's device, presumably due to copyright reasons.

The technology is similar to the latest craze dubbed "mobile clubbing", where a group of people get together in one place and dance to their own music. Location, however, is not a deciding factor with Apple's system, as the signals can be transmitted over any means of wireless communication, including the Internet, Bluetooth and local wireless networks.

In other embodiments of the patent, users of the system can "rotate" DJs, so other people can select songs for the group to listen to. The patent notes that the system can be contained within one single application that is downloadable from the App Store.

Although this technology may not be implemented into any upcoming Apple products, it does present an interesting question of sharing music among iTunes users, which may be a key goal for Apple going forward. Its last foray into music-based social networking was Ping, which officially closed at the start of October last year after the service failed to impress its users.

Article Link: Apple Patent Reveals Interest in 'Silent Disco' App Technology for iOS Devices
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
musika
macrumors 65816

Silent Disco sounds like the title of a '70s horror movie.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

This is very odd... seems like a guarded way of patenting a feature without listing exactly what you want to use it for in the patent itself.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
DarkWinter
macrumors member

Those stick people throwing shapes made me lol.
DarkWinter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Cartmants
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Sounds like something ImprovEverywhere would like to see implemented for their annual MP3 experiment
Cartmants is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
anubis72
macrumors regular

How they gonna pull this off? I have a hard enough time trying to share my songs between computers/iTunes accounts that I OWN, let alone someone else jumping into the mix...
anubis72 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Cue the "I can't believe it's not butter" comments.
Klae17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis72 View Post
How they gonna pull this off? I have a hard enough time trying to share my songs between computers/iTunes accounts that I OWN, let alone someone else jumping into the mix...
At a glance, looks like it works by identifying songs with the "correct" beats-per-minute and matching a BPM profile (ex.: slow-fast-med-fast). You listen to your own music, beat-synced with everyone else's even though they may not be listening to the same thing.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

First create it, then patent it.

It's one thing to patent how to make a flying car, it's another to patent the idea of a flying car. It may not apply to this situation, but at some point patents should not be granted for "idea's" unless it is a patent on "how" to make it happen.

What's next, Hanna-Barbera sues company who creates a flying car?

Stop patenting idea's, patent methods. Two entirely different things. If we don't, patents will stifle innovation, hurting consumers in the interim (and making patent lawyers wealthy).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:04 PM   #10
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post

It's one thing to patent how to make a flying car, it's another to patent the idea of a flying car. It may not apply to this situation, but at some point patents should not be granted for "idea's" unless it is a patent on "how" to make it happen.

Stop patenting idea's, patent methods. Two entirely different things. If we don't, patents will stifle innovation, hurting consumers in the interim (and making patent lawyers wealthy).
I just patented your suggestion, now pay me!!!
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:08 PM   #11
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJammin103 View Post
This is very odd... seems like a guarded way of patenting a feature without listing exactly what you want to use it for in the patent itself.
Agreed. If this patent is used, it'll probably be for something more generally useful.
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Lunapip
macrumors newbie

Like this?!!

http://youtu.be/40cmv0dxjzM
Lunapip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMerik View Post
Agreed. If this patent is used, it'll probably be for something more generally useful.
Right. The critical thing is about the mechanism used for data sharing and collaboration. The potential use as a "silent disco" is but one possibility for such a system, and likely one that intentionally distracts from the real reason they're working on this.
Lord Hamsa is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis72 View Post
You're not actually sharing songs, just metadata such as beats per minute (tempo), maybe genre, so very low bandwidth information that would probably fit in a tweet or SMS (not that they would use that). The system is still choosing songs on your own device, I guess it's so people can dance together by matching beats and style while not being subjected to a DJ's crappy selection (or your friend's crappy musical tastes). Obviously, headphones required. Kinda weird, but whatever.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:31 PM   #15
D.T.
macrumors 68030

I always thought Apple should create a Broadcast Playlist, where someone playing a song could allow people to discover the song artist/title/etc. Maybe it would be an opt-in broadcast, where you'd see "DT is sharing his playlist", and you could jus tap "listen".

Not unlike Shazam, but instead of having to listen and use sound recog (and use a 3rd party app), it would be integrated into the Music App and would Piggyback on the same sort of peer based networking as AirShare. One of the tabs would be "Recently Shared [or Heard]" which of course could provide a simple one-tap to purchase through iTunes.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post

They created this and then patented it.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:56 PM   #17
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"roving DJ"
This is probably the best patent i have ever seen.

We can't have just any punks trying to be legit roving DJs now can we. I mean, a roving DJ needs creds. And any self-respecting flash-rave needs a roving DJ.

Apple is merely looking into the future and solving a cosmic problem, that quite frankly, I was completely unaware of.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
v0lume4
macrumors regular

Bonnaroo!
v0lume4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWinter View Post
Those stick people throwing shapes made me lol.
Me too...until I realised that they dance better than me
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:11 PM   #20
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Would probably use it more often than ping...
macnisse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:17 PM   #21
jm001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunapip View Post
Exactly! Although not necessarily restricted to accounting depts.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:33 PM   #22
CReimer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
Silent Disco sounds like the title of a '70s horror movie.
No, no, no. Think "Love At First Bite" with "I Love The Nightlife" dance song.
CReimer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Radio
In Time-Out

Can't innovate my a$$

This is revolutionary
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:59 PM   #24
boshii
macrumors 68040

Sounds like Samsung's Group Play feature.

EDIT: Not really but kind of.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:30 PM   #25
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnisse View Post
Would probably use it more often than ping...
That's not saying much...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion