Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
I don't know if this is possible, but when you guys tell me how to do this will Gmail refer people from my old address to my new one?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I don't know if this is possible, but when you guys tell me how to do this will Gmail refer people from my old address to my new one?

Yeap. You can forward all (or some) of your old mail to your new account:

1. Click the cog (settings) icon on the top right hand side of the web client.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP (at the top of the page).
  4. Tick the bubble for forwarding and enter the new email address, and set any other settings you want.
  5. Click 'Save Changes'.
  6. Voila.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I forward emails from eMail1 to eMail2 and froward emails from eMail2 to eMail1? Would it be an infinite loop like standing between two opposing mirrors?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I forward emails from eMail1 to eMail2 and froward emails from eMail2 to eMail1? Would it be an infinite loop like standing between two opposing mirrors?

Head explodes.

I may try this someday, though I imagine Google have some sort of anti thingy to stop you doing this.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Yeap. You can forward all (or some) of your old mail to your new account:

1. Click the cog (settings) icon on the top right hand side of the web client.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP (at the top of the page).
  4. Tick the bubble for forwarding and enter the new email address, and set any other settings you want.
  5. Click 'Save Changes'.
  6. Voila.
POP or IMAP i don't know the difference.Which one should i enable?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Head explodes.

I may try this someday, though I imagine Google have some sort of anti thingy to stop you doing this.
After I posted it, I almost registered two new email addresses with some shady web service, but thought, hey, maybe someone has already done that.

If you use an external email client like Thunderbird or Apple Mail or a smartphone with built in email client, IMAP is the choice to go.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

For just forwarding email you shouldn't have to do either. However, on your new account if you are going to be using for example an iPhone or Apple's Mail client then select IMAP.

After I posted it, I almost registered two new email addresses with some shady web service, but thought, hey, maybe someone has already done that.

As was I, and a quick Google didn't find much.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
I use Gmail on my ipad and on my Galaxys4. After the gmail address is changed will it also work on the ipad and smart phone?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013

Now THAT would cause the dreaded Laser Email Destruction Syndrome (LEDS), where the emails loop is amplified until the Gmail servers explode.

DON'T DO THAT... :eek:

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Now THAT would cause the dreaded Laser Email Destruction Syndrome (LEDS), where the emails loop is amplified until the Gmail servers explode.

DON'T DO THAT... :eek:

It would spell the end of the internet and without a doubt, of human civilisation as we know it.

On second thought, give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.