Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Latest Apple TV Update Breaks PlexConnect Client

Today's Apple TV update breaks the PlexConnect client that allowed Plex -- the advanced server-client media player -- to run on non-jailbroken Apple TV devices.

Plex allows users to store movie and TV show files on a server and then view those files on a wide variety of client devices including Macs, PCs, a number of smart televisions, the Roku box and the Apple TV. The server also connects to Internet databases to pull IMDB-type metadata on media.

The client, called PlexConnect, used a hack to get video from the Plex Media Server onto the Apple TV. A small Python program on the Mac intercepted DNS requests from the Movie Trailers app on the Apple TV and instead returned a custom XML feed that delivered a list of media and movie streams to the device.

Now, however, Apple has closed the loophole. Previously, the Trailers app used regular HTTP requests and the PlexConnect app intercepted those requests. Now, the Trailers app uses HTTPS and it is likely impossible for the Plex programmers to overcome it.

Plex CTO Elan Feingold told MacRumors that the company was "saddened to hear that PlexConnect stopped working" and that "we can only hope that in the future Apple decides to release an SDK for the ATV". "The level of interest in the project was quite high."

Article Link: Latest Apple TV Update Breaks PlexConnect Client
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

I've been using Plex Connect ALL DAY LONG today, despite those channels being added. Nothing broken here.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Sky Blue

Would love a properly supported Plex client for Apple TV. Tim, please call Elan
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
wlossw
macrumors 6502

The truth is that the ATV client for local itunes media sharing is pretty terrible for large libraries. It would be nice if they would allow third party media centre apps or at least fix theirs to stop sucking. It's annoying to have to use airplay and plex on my IOS device in order to enjoy (ie:find anything in)my media library.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
I've been using Plex Connect ALL DAY LONG today, despite those channels being added. Nothing broken here.
I believe you need to either restart the Apple TV or back out of PlexConnect all the way to the main menu.

Until then, you're good to go!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
I believe you need to either restart the Apple TV or back out of PlexConnect all the way to the main menu.

Until then, you're good to go!
I was at the main menu when I saw the new channels on screen. Still works just fine. As far as restarting, I never do that, so *crossing fingers*...
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Sad news . I guess the ATV2 just went up in price.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:54 PM   #8
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Argh, that's too bad. Had a nice little set up for my media from my NAS. It made my Apple TV the ONLY box I needed and wanted on my TV.
Oh well.. onto alternate methods and to add something to my TV setup, besides the Apple TV. Sounds so backwards in that it is pushing me to another product. But I know they have a very specific ecosystem to endorse, and content providers to keep happy.

Not to threadcap, and maybe not the most approriate place to ask, but could a Google Chromecast dongle make it possible to stream media from a Nas, similar to what PlexConnect allowed? A suitable replacement? Has anyone tried?

I realize that Google did something to block local media from being streamed, but the latest from that fiasco is that it was inadverdant, and should be fixable soon. But I am not sure how well this worked to begin with.

Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Sad news . I guess the ATV2 just went up in price.
There is always ROKU....
BigHonkingDeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:59 PM   #10
philfry
macrumors member

And this is why I haven't updated my atv3 since getting it. All I need is plex and netflix.
philfry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Supacon
macrumors member

This totally just ruined the Apple TV for me. Plex is 90% of what I did with it and the only thing that made it truly useful. I guess if I update by accident down the road or something I'll just go and buy a Roku 3 or some such thing.
Supacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Baumi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlossw View Post
The truth is that the ATV client for local itunes media sharing is pretty terrible for large libraries. It would be nice if they would allow third party media centre apps or at least fix theirs to stop sucking.
Since Jobs considered the Apple TV a "hobby", its interface apparently didn't have to live up the standards he set for the iPhone and iPad. It's a great device and it's become my main box for watching TV and movies, but the UI could use quite a bit of polish.
Baumi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Scott38660
macrumors newbie

I found another solution which involves an iPhone, iPad or later Macs. If you go to my.plexapp.com and find your server or directly connect using your IP on your local network and port 32400 you can browse what's on your plex server from any device that has AirPlay mirroring or additional screen and stream the content from your browser to your AppleTV.

The downside of this method is obviously the need for an additional intermediary device which also requires a more robust network (that is in the iOS device scenario). Indeed you're now streaming encoded content between your server and AirPlay device and decoded/compressed content between the latter and your Apple TV.
The upside however, is the lack of any hacks required to make this work.

Has anyone found other workarounds?
Scott38660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
meeks
macrumors regular

Does the atv update itself automatically? I just got one and haven't had an update yet.
meeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks View Post
Does the atv update itself automatically? I just got one and haven't had an update yet.
Not software updates, but apple does push channels to the AppleTV without user intervention.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:19 PM   #16
kiantech
macrumors regular

looks like some people are getting it to work with other apps.

ex with WSJ app
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...railers/page-1

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...-than-trailers
kiantech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:30 PM   #17
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiantech View Post
looks like some people are getting it to work with other apps.

ex with WSJ app
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...railers/page-1

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...-than-trailers
Have you tried it with the WSJ application?
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:39 PM   #18
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Have you tried it with the WSJ application?
The other apps have all been changed to HTTPS over the past few weeks, they no longer work.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
The other apps have all been changed to HTTPS over the past few weeks, they no longer work.
http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/

A user over at the Plex forums created a fix. Haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by vega07; Aug 27, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:30 PM   #20
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

I know this doesn't help atv3 people but what about an interim jail break app that did what the old http trailers app did?
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:33 PM   #21
jm001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
There is always ROKU....
I was told by several people online that Roku CAN'T stream movies from your Mac to your tv. Am I wrong here? I hope I am then I will definitely look into the Roku.

As for ATV could you not just jailbreak it and then use Plex?
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post
I was told by several people online that Roku CAN'T stream movies from your Mac to your tv. Am I wrong here? I hope I am then I will definitely look into the Roku.

There is a native Plex app on Roku. Install your Plex Media Server on a PC, and then Plex on Roku sees it. No muss, No fuss. Originally it was true that Roku couldn't support local content, but then came Roksbox, and Chaneru, and a whole host of others, and then finally Plex.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
There is always ROKU....
Yep!If you really want Plex enough just get one and be done with it.You'll get Amazon Prime and some other stuff in the deal.
I know it's not what people would rather do,but it's better to just face reality and do what you need to do.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post

No jailbreak for ATV3.

Head on over to the Roku site and check out the"channel store".
Plex,Netflix,Amazon Prime,and USB drives are all supported.Plus an RF remote so no pointing.
Downside-No airplay,no iTunes store access.
Having both isn't too terribly expensive.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:16 PM   #24
jmitch720
macrumors member

Why not use the Plex iOS app?

Why go through all the trouble of setting up http redirecting or whatever trickery when you can just use the iOS app to AirPlay to Apple TV? In all the time I have used Plex, I have only ever used my Mac as the server, and streamed to my iPhone then AirPlay to Apple TV. It is quick and easy. I can probably find a movie on the iPhone and select AirPlay, faster than it would take me to use a Plex Apple TV app with the stupid Apple TV remote. Am I missing something? Why is everyone acting like closing this loophole ends all Plex/Apple TV functionality. Just use the iOS app! I understand that not everyone has an iOS device, but who gets an Apple TV and doesn't own an iPhone or iPad?!

Note: The Plex iOS app does cost $5 but is so worth it.
jmitch720 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:18 PM   #25
alchemistmuffin
macrumors 6502

You don't need Plex folks. Ever heard of iTunes Home Sharing?

Store everything on your Mac or PC, (including externally attached hard drive), and then log into iTunes on your Apple TV, and turn on Home Sharing.

Besides, if you want to access your content on the go, I would rather bring my external hard drive with me to my friend's house (or my Mac or PC) and just airplay it.

You don't need it, and frankly, I'm glad Apple fixed this loophole, because it can become a security risk in the long run. (there is a way to exploit this and allow some thief to log your iTunes password, and then using that, to rack up lots of iTunes purchases.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion