Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

buying 1 game-anno2070,max payne 3, bioshock infinity or borderlands 2

going to buy one game. its my birthday so i deserve one, and wife got me an imac so now i can play these quality of games....

and they are all tantalising me, all round about 29 in different places, and all with some pros and cons that arent necessarily gameplay things.

max payne, love the first game, max friendly too, but 32 gig download might take a few nights to get it all......

anno 2070, loved the first game and the wii game. still its bootcamp, and i can get it from amazon for 9 quid if i wait for it to come in the post.....

bioshock infinity is 50 euro on steam but 30 euro if i buy from greenmanthen its 30 euo....

i havent even played borderlands, its in my steam but pc, whereas borderlands 2 is mac.....

decisions...votes....
madeirabhoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816

I'm sure I saw Bioshock Infinite for like 15 on here.

Have look

http://savygamer.co.uk/

Most of the games also feature steam keys.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

The thing is, all those games are great, which breaks down the answer to a personal preference. Mine is:

1. Bioshock Infinite (a must have, no matter who you are)
2. Max Payne 3 (superb storytelling, bullet-time)
3. Anno 2070 (repetitive, but solid strategy game; futuristic, yet somewhat contemporary)
4. Borderlands 2 (very very fun shooter)
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

I vote for bioshock infinite. I honestly haven't even played it yet (planning on it soon) but going by the first one, definitely worth it.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
The thing is, all those games are great, which breaks down the answer to a personal preference. Mine is:

1. Bioshock Infinite (a must have, no matter who you are)
2. Max Payne 3 (superb storytelling, bullet-time)
3. Anno 2070 (repetitive, but solid strategy game; futuristic, yet somewhat contemporary)
4. Borderlands 2 (very very fun shooter)
Very well put here!

My vote is Infinite as well. It's just that good from a story aspect. Honestly better than any movie that came out this summer

Best deal on a Mac copy right now I think is pre-ordering through our GameAgent.com (Steam Key) as a member. 29.99 and the pre-order gets you another 6 off.
Aspyr-Blair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
barrett14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspyr-Blair View Post
Very well put here!

My vote is Infinite as well. It's just that good from a story aspect. Honestly better than any movie that came out this summer

Best deal on a Mac copy right now I think is pre-ordering through our GameAgent.com (Steam Key) as a member. 29.99 and the pre-order gets you another 6 off.
What is the deal with the release? I pre ordered it and received an e-mail saying it would be available for download on 8/28 (today)... but I am not seeing a download button.
barrett14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Quote:
Very well put here!

Will the game be available at midnight EST or some time during the day on 8/29?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:43 AM   #8
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Very well put here!

with it being on steam does that get me the mac and pc versions together ?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
BackTwoMac
macrumors newbie

If you want bang for your buck, I vote Borderlands.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

went for bioshock infinity, got it for 20 euro from green man gaming, by the time i get home from work, start it downloading, might get to play it tonight
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:22 AM   #11
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeirabhoy View Post
went for bioshock infinity, got it for 20 euro from green man gaming, by the time i get home from work, start it downloading, might get to play it tonight
Good choice! Other than the resolution issues mentioned in another thread, I'm seeing better performance running it in 720p on ultra high settings on my iMac than I was at 1080p w high settings in Boot Camp. Not nearly as many blurry texture issues. Maybe the resolution cap isn't such a bad thing?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:15 PM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If you haven't played the original 2 either, I would highly advise you do. The storylines of Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2 aren't really needed to be known in order to play infinite, but they are both great games (1 is usually regarded as the better of the two) so you should play them.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I vote for bioshock infinite. I honestly haven't even played it yet (planning on it soon) but going by the first one, definitely worth it.
I haven't even bought it yet :/
I would recommend Bioshock Infinite too.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
If you haven't played the original 2 either, I would highly advise you do. The storylines of Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2 aren't really needed to be known in order to play infinite, but they are both great games (1 is usually regarded as the better of the two) so you should play them.
Agreed, both stellar games and good ports done by Feral.

Also, they are both on the App Store on the cheap right now at $9.99.

It's kinda cool seeing the top 3 paid games in the App Store being all BioShock
Aspyr-Blair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:52 AM   #15
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Haha, so true.

One thing I was a bit disappointed about Infinite is that it's not as philosophical heavy as Bioshock 1. I think a book even came out on the subject.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:03 AM   #16
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

tbh my experience of bioshock is 2 minutes of wow these graphics are good followed by hm.......

in some ways it feels like a really old game but with present day graphics. baddies have a tendency to wanter into the middle of the screen so you can shoot them easily, and its not very complicated a game. walk round, be amazed at the nice graphics, shoot some baddies. search them and find coins, salt, energy. nowt else.

hasnt really got a lot of depth i guess im trying to say. wish id gone for max payne 3....
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:36 AM   #17
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Max Payne 3 is a good game, however it's short. Campaign is like 8-10 hours.
I've not played Bioshock:infinity, but I've heard that is good, but also fairly short.
Borderlands 2 is quite a bit longer, with more replayability with many classes and co-op.

I've played the older Anno games and liked them, lots of content. However Anno 2070 has a bit mixed reviews.

I would also recommend XCOM:Enemy Unknown, it's mac compatible and gives you many hours of gameplay.
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:50 AM   #18
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Quote:
tbh my experience of bioshock is 2 minutes of wow these graphics are good followed by hm.......

in some ways it feels like a really old game but with present day graphics. baddies have a tendency to wanter into the middle of the screen so you can shoot them easily, and its not very complicated a game. walk round, be amazed at the nice graphics, shoot some baddies. search them and find coins, salt, energy. nowt else.

hasnt really got a lot of depth i guess im trying to say. wish id gone for max payne 3....
Good luck to you getting Max Payne 3 to run well on a Mac. Even better luck getting a controller to work. It's a crappy, unsupported port. Bioshock Infinite is way more bang for your buck, and while there may not be as much depth to the gameplay I don't think the same can be said for the story.

I also agree that XCOM is a great purchase. Lots and lots of fun to be had with that one.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:29 AM   #19
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto2236 View Post
Good luck to you getting Max Payne 3 to run well on a Mac. Even better luck getting a controller to work. It's a crappy, unsupported port. Bioshock Infinite is way more bang for your buck, and while there may not be as much depth to the gameplay I don't think the same can be said for the story.

I also agree that XCOM is a great purchase. Lots and lots of fun to be had with that one.
maybe it gets better as you go on, im still early in the game. it just doesnt seem to have anything exciting except wow graphics. comparing to skyrim, fallout, max payne, deus ex etc....

but ill stick with it. paid for it so im finishing it !

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games