Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Disney Working on 'Star Wars' App for Apple TV?

Disney is working on a dedicated 'Star Wars' channel for the Apple TV according to a questionable report from Jedi News. The site quotes an "unnamed source" who said Disney will launch a new app on the Apple TV in time for the holiday season and the app will stream the final episodes of the animated 'Clone Wars' TV series.

Quote:
Our source told us the following:

"A Disney branded app for Star Wars will launch on Apple TV devices, with plans to distribute the final Clone Wars episodes exclusively digitally only through the Apple TV device for a limited period of time. This will happen in this holiday season.

In 2014, plans are in an early stage to use the platform to deliver SW7 production news 'live' from the sets, followed with Star Wars Rebels in late 2014 taking us all the way through to SW7 release."
Jedi News claims only iOS 7-capable Apple TV devices -- the second and third generation units -- will be able to use the new app.

Apple has launched a number of third-party apps on the Apple TV in recent months, including two Disney apps yesterday. Last year, Disney purchased Lucasfilm and the 'Star Wars' franchise.

Article Link: Disney Working on 'Star Wars' App for Apple TV?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

This is not the app you're looking for.....
appleisking is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
jclardy
macrumors 68020

So...Apple, can we please just announce the App Store for Apple TV and stop shoving random content on to the home screen every two weeks?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Do or do not. There is no try.

the more apps the merrier.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Yvan256
macrumors 601

All I want is the ability to remove some apps from my interface.

edit: I already got five replies on how to do it (via the parental controls), thanks.

Last edited by Yvan256; Sep 1, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Yvan256 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:07 PM   #6
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
So...Apple, can we please just announce the App Store for Apple TV and stop shoving random content on to the home screen every two weeks?
Agreed. All of these new editions, half I cant even use because I do not have cable. Whats the point in that then? There is a reason I have an Apple TV
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
biggest father1
macrumors newbie

Question

Would everybody agree waiting for Apple's announcement before buying an Apple TV is a safe bet?
biggest father1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
ChrisCW11
macrumors regular

Yup

Apple will have to support the ability to turn off content more easily than using parental controls or create a system to opt into content on the AppleTV.

Hopefully an AppleTV update will co-incide with iOS 7 that will support the ability to opt into or delete new content.

I really don't want my AppleTV to become "The Disney" device. Nor do I want it to become a dumping ground for every alternative media delivery system in existence. I mean my Samsung Smart TV already has screens and screens worth of useless apps and content I will never use, I don't want my AppleTV to go slumming like that.

I already question the content added to AppleTV up till now. I know I can hide content in parent controls, but I don't want to have to do this every week when Apple pushes another "Channel" of content I don't want.
ChrisCW11 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
posted yesterday .

One can do that via parental controls.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Avenged110
macrumors member

Quote:
You can hide as many as you want from the Parental Controls interface.
Avenged110 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:09 PM   #11
jav6454
macrumors G5

Why is this front page news? This should be a side page news story.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCW11 View Post
Apple will have to support the ability to turn off content more easily than using parental controls or create a system to opt into content on the AppleTV.
Why?

Parental Controls seems easy enough to me. I don't think we will have to worry about Apple shoving apps at us weekly.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:13 PM   #13
alent1234
macrumors 603

and i've been looking at the blu rays lately since the season 1-5 set is coming out. but no word on a digital copy and i'm not buying without a digital copy
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
George Zip
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Oh, amen to this. WTF is the holdup? There should be a Channel Store.
George Zip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:18 PM   #15
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

No doubt you will need to be a cable subscriber to be able to view content--which means its a worthless waste of space. I'd welcome a stand alone channel with a separate monthly fee. I don't mind paying for content one bit--just not an entire cable subscription to see maybe two decent shows.

I have a feeling the next "revolutionary" announcement related to Apple TV will be that if you are a TWC subscriber you can log in and view cable content on your Apple TV!! Save a whole $10 a month off your $180 cable bill by avoiding another set top box! Magical!

Props to the Vevo and Smithsonian apps though.
barkomatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:18 PM   #16
alent1234
macrumors 603

sorry for the hold up guys, we are in the process of reengineering roku's code as i type this
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
posted yesterday .

One can do that via parental controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged110 View Post
You can hide as many as you want from the Parental Controls interface.
Thanks!
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
No doubt you will need to be a cable subscriber to be able to view content--which means its a worthless waste of space. I'd welcome a stand alone channel with a separate monthly fee. I don't mind paying for content one bit--just not an entire cable subscription to see maybe two decent shows.

I have a feeling the next "revolutionary" announcement related to Apple TV will be that if you are a TWC subscriber you can log in and view cable content on your Apple TV!! Save a whole $10 a month off your $180 cable bill by avoiding another set top box! Magical!

Props to the Vevo and Smithsonian apps though.

yeah right
seems like TWC is cut out of most of these streaming deals lately. one reason why i cut the cord and don't go back. i wouldn't mind paying for TV again, but TWC doesn't want to support a lot of these services
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:20 PM   #19
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggest father1 View Post
Would everybody agree waiting for Apple's announcement before buying an Apple TV is a safe bet?
Maybe these are the announcements. It's a slow constant stream of announcements until the 'final' Apple TV is a fait accompli. It is their hobby after all
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCW11 View Post

Hopefully an AppleTV update will co-incide with iOS 7 that will support the ability to opt into or delete new content.

I really don't want my AppleTV to become "The Disney" device. Nor do I want it to become a dumping ground for every alternative media delivery system in existence. I mean my Samsung Smart TV already has screens and screens worth of useless apps and content I will never use, I don't want my AppleTV to go slumming like that.

I already question the content added to AppleTV up till now. I know I can hide content in parent controls, but I don't want to have to do this every week when Apple pushes another "Channel" of content I don't want.
I can kind of see this point.

But it's so easy, a matter of 1111, that I can't be bothered to raise a flag along side with you. Goodluck.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:23 PM   #21
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
its been covered.... hide what you don't want to see
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:24 PM   #22
dragje
macrumors 6502

Jedi News....... come on Apple, you must be kidding me.
dragje is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #23
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Jedi News claims only iOS 7-capable Apple TV devices -- the second and third generation units -- will be able to use the new app.
And there you have it. The app-ification of entertainment, Apple-style.
Sign deals with content providers, package the content in apps, and use the
apps to drive sales of new Apple products. Sony would kill for this.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Make it so

..whoops, wrong franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Why is this front page news? This should be a side page news story.
Says the person with a droid for an avatar.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:30 PM   #25
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

My guess is this is more along the lines of their "Hobby Apple TV" stuff. Seeing what content is liked and how it is received before dropping bigger and better stuff and the ability to buy or hide "channels"

I like that things are being added to the Apple TV. much better than a bare-bones system to watch the stuff you've bought.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion