Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AppleCare+ Possibly Launching Soon in Europe

Apple is planning on launching its AppleCare+ extended warranty service in Europe soon, according to a report from the French blog iGen [Google Translate].

Apple launched the $99 AppleCare+ for iPhone in the U.S. in 2011, offering two years of extended warranty protection and coverage for two incidents related to accidental damage, albeit with a $49 service fee. The program was later expanded to the iPad. AppleCare+ is also available in Canada and Japan.

In Europe, customers have been limited to the standard AppleCare for iPhone and iPad products, which only covers warranty-related claims -- not accidental damage.

Apple has faced significant criticism from consumer associations in a number of European countries including Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Portugal. EU consumer protection laws are more stringent than those in the United States, and Apple has been sued because of allegedly misleading statements given by Apple on its websites and in its retail stores regarding the differences between warranties required by law and what Apple offers in its AppleCare service plans.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Possibly Launching Soon in Europe
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

I would love a naked iPhone but I have the incipio wallet case! A thinner phone with apple care + and a wallet, or a thicker phone with wallet included?! First world problems.
Klae17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Plutonius
macrumors 601

How many post will we get claiming that the existing EU regulations covers all all accidental damage on Apple products ?
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Or you could just move to America. Actually no. You would hate it here.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
My own health is more important to me than my phone's health ;-)
RoelJuun is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
radus
macrumors newbie

they need to do this

a lot of my friends are not amused with their broken iPhone screen -- so they just bought Android devices like the Sony xperia zl with protected screens ...
Apple must offer this kind of service in Euorpe if they want to keep at least some customers !
radus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:32 PM   #7
rmwebs
Banned

Whats the betting that they 'accidentally' screw up the wording again and have the know-it-alls at the EU in Brussels moan at them again?
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Apple should do AppleCare indefinitely and offer support for old OS's and hardware indefinitely. The current hardware, even an iOS device, is powerful enough to emulate the old hardware and software. There is a tremendous amount of data, media and software that is lost because Apple obsolesces.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:29 PM   #9
mogwat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post

I did, and I did.
mogwat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
Apple should do AppleCare indefinitely and offer support for old OS's and hardware indefinitely. The current hardware, even an iOS device, is powerful enough to emulate the old hardware and software. There is a tremendous amount of data, media and software that is lost because Apple obsolesces.
I rather them not. More revenue, less development costs, more profit, better for stock prices and my dividends in the long run.
Klae17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Jeaz
macrumors regular

Tbh, it's a bit odd that this hasn't happened sooner, given that the normal AppleCare is mainly covered by laws, and thus sales should be lower than in the US.

However, this isn't something covered by law and would make an excellent business opportunity for Apple.
Jeaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
I completely agree. My 2001 TiBook should still be supported. Also, my Macintosh 128K was discontinued. Can you believe it?!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603

Really hope this happens and soon!
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:34 PM   #14
sransari
macrumors 6502

Worthless product...even without apple care you will get a replacement for known defects like a faulty power button. And to pay $99 + $49 for apple care to get a replacement when even a paid replacement is what...$199 I believe? So pay $148 to maybe save $51?
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:32 PM   #15
toille4
macrumors member

Bring it to Australia!
toille4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:31 AM   #16
DragonJade
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Also, my Macintosh 128K was discontinued. Can you believe it?!
The buggers. You can't trust anyone nowadays.
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:17 AM   #17
lobeyonekenobi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille4 View Post
Bring it to Australia!
Totally agree, still not sure if I'm covered for one year or two with Applecare.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:25 PM   #18
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoelJuun View Post
My own health is more important to me than my phone's health ;-)
Ouch….not a ringing endorsement of our healthcare here, on this side of the pond…..is it mostly free in your country?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:39 AM   #19
xAnthony
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
Worthless product...even without apple care you will get a replacement for known defects like a faulty power button. And to pay $99 + $49 for apple care to get a replacement when even a paid replacement is what...$199 I believe? So pay $148 to maybe save $51?
A replacement device is around $229 plus tax. There's a significant difference. Also, some of us prefer the extra year warranty it comes with.

I had a lot of trouble with my iPhone 4, and the phone almost got to a point where it was useless and I could hardly use it. Apple would not replace it and wanted to charge me $199 for a replacement. I was furious as this was just after my warranty expired. There's no way I'm dealing with that again. I paid an extra $100, and now I have peace of mind. Definitely worth it in my mind.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:12 PM   #20
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Maybe a nice thing.....

in Europe, where each country applies different standards and coverages in insurance for mobiles. Risky for Apple, seeing how had fared in courts, as in Italy, per example.....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion