Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Seems to have happened in the last month or so. If I have it on my desk, it creaks when I put my hands on the keyboard, especially the left palmrest.

Same with the trackpad. I get a very unpleasant creak instead of a nice click every so often when I use the trackpad.

I tried tightening up the bottom plate, but that hasn't done anything. I really don't want to open it up and screw something up.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Try tightening the grounding plate. It's a piece of black plastic with two small metal tabs poking out and two cross-headed screws holding it in place. It's located between the RAM and battery, at least on the cMBP. Open up your system, tighten the two retaining screws, and see how you get on.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Seems to have happened in the last month or so. If I have it on my desk, it creaks when I put my hands on the keyboard, especially the left palmrest.

Same with the trackpad. I get a very unpleasant creak instead of a nice click every so often when I use the trackpad.

I tried tightening up the bottom plate, but that hasn't done anything. I really don't want to open it up and screw something up.

I had the creaks on my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. I brought it in to the Genius Bar twice complaining about it and they didn't fix it. I bought a pentalobe screwdriver from iFixit and I opened up the case. In the process I stripped 4 of the screws when I put the case back on so now these 4 screws are stuck there permanently. Also note that the screws are not all the same length. On previous models the size difference was more apparent; these screws are subtly different.

The good news is that the creaking is almost 100 percent gone. I have left 5 of the screws off and only put one screw back in addition to the 4 screws that are stuck. I don't know what causes the creaking but I believe that leaving screws out will help.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I had the creaks on my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. I brought it in to the Genius Bar twice complaining about it and they didn't fix it. I bought a pentalobe screwdriver from iFixit and I opened up the case. In the process I stripped 4 of the screws when I put the case back on so now these 4 screws are stuck there permanently. Also note that the screws are not all the same length. On previous models the size difference was more apparent; these screws are subtly different.

The good news is that the creaking is almost 100 percent gone. I have left 5 of the screws off and only put one screw back in addition to the 4 screws that are stuck. I don't know what causes the creaking but I believe that leaving screws out will help.

Yeah, I don't think the Genius Bar could hear it. Too loud.

Maybe I should take it to the local authorized mac repair shop. I have applecare and it's much quieter there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.