Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailbox.jpg
Mailbox has been updated to version 1.5.0, adding cloud search. With cloud search, it is now possible for users to quickly search through all of their Gmail messages. Previously, search was limited to messages that had been downloaded and searching was often slow.

The update also includes the option to add signatures to emails based on the address that they are sent from (Mailbox supports up to five different Gmail accounts) and it also allows users to open email links directly within Google's Chrome app.
What's new

- Cloud Search (now search every message in your Gmail account)
- Account-specific signatures
- Open links in Chrome
- Performance improvements and bug fixes
Mailbox, which had a controversial debut due to the reservation system that it implemented as new users signed up, was purchased by Dropbox back in March. Since then the sign up restrictions have been lifted, making the app available to all users.

Mailbox is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox Updated With Cloud Search

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Great app. It's my default mail app. Then need to release a android verion and mac app/web based app and I'll be a very happy camper.

Still kind of wish google would have bought it instead of drop box and implemented it into gmail.

Still very good!

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
I think this is the most overrated app. To me, there's no difference between having your read messages reside in your inbox or your archived folder. The badge counter is useless as well, showing "1" indicating if you have a new message (but not the number of messages) or a number of total messages in your inbox even if they have been read. Also, email attachments that include attachments of other emails (.eml) files don't display properly. Too many issues for this thing to be considered by many to be the best mail app.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I consider the biggest issue the badge thing. It needs to display number of unread emails. This is awfully basic, why hasn't this been implemented??

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Which to me as a gmail user makes it useless. No thanks. Plus the later function of Mailbox is what is truly great.

Mailbox is really overrated. I use to be one of those people who couldn't live without push. I was one of Mailbox's first users. I liked it, for a couple of months. But then I went back to the Gmail official app which is solidly built despite the negative reviews. Now I'm at the "I must use stock Apple apps" phase.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Currently for Gmail only. Other email platforms coming soon.

K. Thanks.

I'd like to try this app, but I can't.

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I consider the biggest issue the badge thing. It needs to display number of unread emails. This is awfully basic, why hasn't this been implemented??

I've only just started using Mailbox, so I'm not entirely sure how it will work out for me, but as I understand it the whole point is to keep an empty inbox. So if there is a read email in the inbox, the badge icon reminds you that you need to archive it or snooze it. The whole idea is to reach zero. Displaying the number of unread emails would be against the whole concept of the app.

I like the concept, but like I said, I'm not sure yet whether it'll work for me.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
I installed the app recently for the free dropbox space, used it and really liked it, then uninstalled it.

Why? Because of the huge security and privacy concerns. This is basically creating an intermediary between Google and you, so everytime you check mail from Mailbox you're actually connecting to Mailbox's servers.

If their servers go down or are compromised, you get no mail.

If their servers are accessed by anyone, your mail can be read by anyone.

I am just not comfortable not being able to connect to my mail directly.

Not to mention that there may be data mining going on.

As the saying goes, if you don't know what the product (for sale) is, you're the product.

Fuzzi

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2009
does anybody know a similar app for OS X? (that can handle multiple gmail accounts and has cloudsearch)

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Great app. It's my default mail app. Then need to release a android verion and mac app/web based app and I'll be a very happy camper.

Still kind of wish google would have bought it instead of drop box and implemented it into gmail.

Still very good!

I think it's better this way, it may stay more simple than with Google.

----------

Mailbox is now complete. Fantastic update.

They can always add other accounts but Gmail.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know if they are planning a Mac version of Mailbox?

If you check their twitter account, they are saying its on their To Do list.

----------

I installed the app recently for the free dropbox space, used it and really liked it, then uninstalled it.

Why? Because of the huge security and privacy concerns. This is basically creating an intermediary between Google and you, so everytime you check mail from Mailbox you're actually connecting to Mailbox's servers.

If their servers go down or are compromised, you get no mail.

If their servers are accessed by anyone, your mail can be read by anyone.

I am just not comfortable not being able to connect to my mail directly.

As the saying goes, if you don't know what the product (for sale) is, you're the product.

From the Privacy stand point how they are different then Googke, u think they don't data mine you account or even read your emails? From security, yes one more place where someone can jump in.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Still Gmail only. It's way overrated. If you use nothing but gmail, there is a google app for that.
Mailbox did nothing but messing up my gmail inboxes.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Currently for Gmail only. Other email platforms coming soon.

K. Thanks.

I'd like to try this app, but I can't.

Same here. I'm weaning off gmail and switching to another provider, would love to be able to use this with another provider...

----------

I've heard "if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product", in that sense its no different than using the Gmail app since Google is the master of data mining. This is why I will be migrating my gmail once startmail comes out or one of its alternatives...

SJay

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I like the iOS 7 mail app even though no gmail push

I have always used gmail push app with native ios app

Configure gmail with Exchange.

I know that Google has discontinued support for Exchange, but still works (at least for me)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.