Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shabouk26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Can anyone recommend a color laser printer that: 1. prints well on card stock and 2. prints well on both sides of a sheet of card stock -- duplex printing not required. I am a designer and when creating prototypes I often have to print on 2 sides of a sheet of card stock and because it's an illustration I don't bother with duplex printing.

I used to have a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300DL that was AMAZING but died. Just replaced it with a Konica Minolta Magicolor 7450EN and it's HORRIBLE. It doesn't play nice with my mac and the print quality is awful on the 2nd side. Not to mention the pages never seem to go through perfectly straight. It's been a nightmare. Any advice/suggestions are most welcome. I'd prefer a stand alone printer -- no scanning required. THANKS!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've had good luck with Okidata. I have a C531DN that has a feeder (not just single sheet) multi-purpose tray on the front, and a rear exit that gives a very straight paper path. I don't do card stock but it does a good job on thick envelopes.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Check out the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Inkjet Printer. It can print on paper up to 1.5mm thickness. So pretty darn thick...
Edit: Pretty funny, after I posted this I see an ad below here with a pic of the same printer...

Shabouk26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into the Okidata and see if has something listed in the specs. As awesome as the Epson sounds, I print SO MUCH that I blow through ink with an inkjet printer making it not cost effective at all.

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into the Okidata and see if has something listed in the specs. As awesome as the Epson sounds, I print SO MUCH that I blow through ink with an inkjet printer making it not cost effective at all.

I have a Xerox 6280 and I have printed card stock. I have printed some heavy media with no problems. According to specs, it can handle media up to 80lb (220 gsm). I think it is discontinued, but I am sure that substitute models should have similar capabilities.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a Xerox 6280 and I have printed card stock. I have printed some heavy media with no problems. According to specs, it can handle media up to 80lb (220 gsm). I think it is discontinued, but I am sure that substitute models should have similar capabilities.

I have the earlier Xerox 6180 MFD and can concur that it does a great job on card stock. Mine is a full duplex printer... but if I use the front loading loader for card stock, it is only single duplex (if I remember right). I am positive I manually printed one side at a time for this project... just to minimize the paper path complexity.

I printed a few hundred programs for my daughter's wedding two years ago on very heavy pre-scored card stock, and it was as good as any commercial print house may have done. The only criticism that I received was from a Xerox Sr. VP & General Manager at at the wedding who claimed I should have given credit to his company. ;)

/Jim

Shabouk26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
That sounds great! I printed my wedding invites on my old Magicolor but there's NO WAY this new Magicolor could handle it. I just wish I knew that the newer Xeroxes printed just as well before I waste more $$. Still thanks for the suggestions everyone -- really appreciating all of this help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.