Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I am looking to buy an inexpensive gaming headset. I have been eyeing this one

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Stereo-Gaming-Headset-TM-YB100A/dp/B001FY7LBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377739482&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+headset

It says that it is a PC headset. Will this work on a mac?

It should work on a Mac exactly like a PC if all it uses is a standard mini-stereo jack. IF it also uses some proprietary Windows-only software.... then the answer is NO.

And dude, did you look closely at the screenshots provided for this product at the Amazon website? Did you? I posted one of the product screenshots below. The image implies very strongly that it will work fine on a Mac. And what monstrously-large Mac laptop is she using?

61MxhETpbpL._SL1023_.jpg

Ides

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
It should work on a Mac exactly like a PC if all it uses is a standard mini-stereo jack. IF it also uses some proprietary Windows-only software.... then the answer is NO.

And dude, did you look closely at the screenshots provided for this product at the Amazon website? Did you? I posted one of the product screenshots below. The image implies very strongly that it will work fine on a Mac. And what monstrously-large Mac laptop is she using?

Oh haha, thanks. I'm not very observant :p

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The headphone part will be fine, but the microphone likely will not, at least if you're running Lion or Mountain Lion. Apple changed something with these versions of OS X to where standard microphones connected to the line-in port will not work. You would be better served purchasing a USB headset instead.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A while back I puchased a Dynex Stereo headset for about $20 for use on my MBP. This model does not have the big poofy earphones though. I specifically wanted a jack that would work on Mac so as not to take up my single USB port and although I can't verify this specific model works, mine, very similar to it, does work in the Mac's mic jack. This serves my purposes well, but admit it is bare bones if you are looking for something more plush. If you are in a Best Buy store it's pretty easy to have a store clerk check it out on one of their display Macs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The headphone part will be fine, but the microphone likely will not, at least if you're running Lion or Mountain Lion. Apple changed something with these versions of OS X to where standard microphones connected to the line-in port will not work. You would be better served purchasing a USB headset instead.

For reference on my post regarding a Dynex headset, the mic plug has 4 segmented parts and works on my 2011 MBP which is now running Mountain Lion (MacOSX 8) and in a PC speaker jack.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
MIcrophone does usually not work, unless it's a USB headset.
I have a steelseries siberia v2 USB version, works fine in osx.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Turtlebeach are a cheap gaming headset. I have it plugged into my Blackwidow keyboard thingy so dunno if that changes anything far as ports. There is an audio like plug plugged in. Microphone works plenty fine. Far as I remember, to get external microphones you simply need to select them in the sound preferences, least that's all I did. >.<

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I use a cheap logitech G330 and it works fine, is comfortable and works on Mac without extra software. Like cluthz said, if it's not a USB mic, it probably wont work. Macs have line-in plugs, not mic-in plugs.

The G330 has the headset out & mic-in plugs with a USB adapter. The USB is obviously for Mac computers, while not necessary for most PC computers.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Turtlebeach are a cheap gaming headset. I have it plugged into my Blackwidow keyboard thingy so dunno if that changes anything far as ports. There is an audio like plug plugged in. Microphone works plenty fine. Far as I remember, to get external microphones you simply need to select them in the sound preferences, least that's all I did. >.<

It works because you have it plugged into the keyboard, not the Mac itself.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Does it have to be a headset with mic? or just good headphones?

Personally I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-XB500's and they're absolutely amazing!
My mic is a USB one though, and I find they work well.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Would like to know too. In a market for a reasonably priced headset + good mic for gaming. Doesn't have to be Mac compatible.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Looks like the 17" MBP.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
MIcrophone does usually not work, unless it's a USB headset.
I have a steelseries siberia v2 USB version, works fine in osx.

As long as the headset has a "4 pole" 3.5mm cable then both headset and mic will work (i.e. like cell phone headsets). Astro headsets come with a "4-pole" cable, but if you get one of theirs then you are usually using the Mixamp.

As for Mac Gaming Headset options, I'm going to be trying the new Razer Kraken 7.1 USB Headset. Since it uses Synapse 2.0 software for the virtual surround (not the Razer Surround software), the surround should also work on Mac (confirmed via Razer support, but still want to see for my self). I should receive mine on Thursday.

Greetings,

Thanks for the question. In short, yep, the Kraken 7.1 USB headset surround sound functionality works on Mac OS X!

I hope I have provided an answer for the question you asked. If you have any more questions regarding Razer peripherals, do not hesitate to send them our way and we will be able to advise you further. Thanks for contacting Razer Support and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Luke N
Razer Support Team
------ Details of Your Request ------
Does the 7.1 surround on the Kraken 7.1 work on the Mac since it is also Synapse 2.0 compatible?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Would like to know too. In a market for a reasonably priced headset + good mic for gaming. Doesn't have to be Mac compatible.

I ended up going for a Samson SR850 headphones and an Antlion Modmic for my boys' gaming. After years of cruddy Yapster-style headsets from the likes of Logitech and Microsoft, this combo provides outstanding fidelity and appears to be fairly robust. I got the headphones in a two pack for $65 in Canada (revolutionaudio.ca) and the Modmic is $33 (modmic.com)

Davidud

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Don't get a "gaming" headset. 75% of what you're paying is pretty much for that "Gaming" tag instead of quality. People recommending the Siberias; I had v1 and have a pair of v2 somewhere, now a couple of years later in my audio studies I realize how **** they are compared to a pair of real headphones + a clip on mic for the same price. The same goes for most "Gaming" headsets AFAIK. The ones I've tried at least.

baris3

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
Since all macbook pro's have a convincing built-in microphones, I recommend you to buy a nice headphones and use it with built-in microphone. And with this choice, you can get quality headphones plus you won't fall into doubt for microphone setup. For the record, just don't buy a "gaming" headset.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I think the term "gaming headset" is getting a bad rap. Let's be honest here, most HEADSETS (not headphones) made for PCs these days are for gaming. Most of them are designed towards games that support communication, and some (in most cases, the more expensive) support positional sound (usually virtual). In my many searches and testing of "gaming headsets", almost none of them ever tried to or even claimed to be on the same level as quality HEADPHONES (except maybe some of the more expensive ones).

With that said, I have used several "gaming headsets" that sound great to me when using them for movies, shows, and music. I realize there are headphones that would sound better, but i'm no audio snob and headphones don't have mics (I don't want clip-ons and my internal mic usually sits about 3 feet away).

Davidud

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
I think the term "gaming headset" is getting a bad rap. Let's be honest here, most HEADSETS (not headphones) made for PCs these days are for gaming. Most of them are designed towards games that support communication, and some (in most cases, the more expensive) support positional sound (usually virtual). In my many searches and testing of "gaming headsets", almost none of them ever tried to or even claimed to be on the same level as quality HEADPHONES (except maybe some of the more expensive ones).

With that said, I have used several "gaming headsets" that sound great to me when using them for movies, shows, and music. I realize there are headphones that would sound better, but i'm no audio snob and headphones don't have mics (I don't want clip-ons and my internal mic usually sits about 3 feet away).

I'm just saying. If you would spend those $80 you spent on your gaming headset on a pair of headphones instead you'd actually get quality worth $80 instead of $20.

Can't really see what's wrong with clip on mics. if you're REALLY annoyed by clip-ons, just clip it on to the headphone cable, it'll be pretty much the same as a headset. Then if you're annoyed by having two cables hanging, fasten the clip on cable to the headphone cable as well. And quite a few, the siberias included, come with a clip on instead of a fastened microphone.

But I can respect that you're not an "audio snob" (even though that's probably not the correct term.) Not everyone cares about high quality sound, and I'd say "good for you" since you can save a lot of money not buying high-end stuff. Though you choose to spend it anyway, on a sticker that says "Gaming".

But in that situation I'd recommend saving $60 and buy a $20 pair with a clip on or a similar microphone solution. But if the clip-on solution i mentioned earlier is still bad, please tell me how and why, since I can't really see how it's any different from using a mic fastened directly on the headset. On most headphones you could probably even fasten the clip on microphone where a built-in microphone would be on a headset.

After reading this through I feel like I type a bit like a dick, but that's not my intention. It's probably because I'm quite tired. I just want to give good advice, since both audio and gaming have been quite big for me for a long long time now. :eek: :)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm just saying. If you would spend those $80 you spent on your gaming headset on a pair of headphones instead you'd actually get quality worth $80 instead of $20.

Can't really see what's wrong with clip on mics. if you're REALLY annoyed by clip-ons, just clip it on to the headphone cable, it'll be pretty much the same as a headset. Then if you're annoyed by having two cables hanging, fasten the clip on cable to the headphone cable as well. And quite a few, the siberias included, come with a clip on instead of a fastened microphone.

But I can respect that you're not an "audio snob" (even though that's probably not the correct term.) Not everyone cares about high quality sound, and I'd say "good for you" since you can save a lot of money not buying high-end stuff. Though you choose to spend it anyway, on a sticker that says "Gaming".

But in that situation I'd recommend saving $60 and buy a $20 pair with a clip on or a similar microphone solution. But if the clip-on solution i mentioned earlier is still bad, please tell me how and why, since I can't really see how it's any different from using a mic fastened directly on the headset. On most headphones you could probably even fasten the clip on microphone where a built-in microphone would be on a headset.

After reading this through I feel like I type a bit like a dick, but that's not my intention. It's probably because I'm quite tired. I just want to give good advice, since both audio and gaming have been quite big for me for a long long time now. :eek: :)

I don't buy things because they are labelled "gaming", but as I stated MOST headsets made for computers these days are gaming headsets.

As for the argument of a clip on Mic... Let's remember that we are all probably Mac users, or at least I would hope so. The new Macs (in my case a 2012 iMac and a 2013 MBA) only have one audio out that supports "4 pole" 3.5mm jacks for audio and voice. Typically these headsets are the ones that are used for phones, but a few "gaming" headsets have "4-pole" compatibility (i.e. Razer Kraken Pro, and Astro headsets). With that said, in order to do what you are suggesting, not only would you need a headphone, a clip-on mic, but would also need an adapter of some sort (i.e. USB sound card). That's a very viable setup, but completely unnecessary, for me at least. A decent USB headset, or one of the "4-pole" headsets I mentioned works just fine for me.

Personally, I went with a USB headset to free up the audio port due to the iMac's limitation of overriding the internal speakers when in use.

We all have our hobbies and interest and there is nothing wrong with appreciating good sound, but this thread was heading in the wrong direction from the start. The OP asked about a pair of $20 headsets, so it was obvious "premium sound" was not his agenda.

I will admit the "audio snob" comment was a bit much... I am a member of many boards and this "elitist" attitude towards anything "gaming" annoys me. "Gaming" products have come along way and in most cases are no longer the gimmicks they used to be. A lot of premium audio products suffer from a similar problem as in some cases you are paying for the name, and not the quality.

Davidud

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
I will admit the "audio snob" comment was a bit much... I am a member of many boards and this "elitist" attitude towards anything "gaming" annoys me. "Gaming" products have come along way and in most cases are no longer the gimmicks they used to be. A lot of premium audio products suffer from a similar problem as in some cases you are paying for the name, and not the quality.

Definately, which is why I think it's wise to stay away from brands like Bose, skullcandy and "beats" headphones as well!

Still, the quality to price ratio I've experienced on pretty much all gaming headsets I've used so far isn't acceptable at all for me.

patrickleroux

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Logitech G330 not compatible with osx 10.8.5 ???

Is it possible that the Logitech G330 is not compatible with OSX 10.8.5 ? I can select it in my settings, I can hear through the headset but and can not record anything with the microphone...:confused:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/stereo-headset-h390?crid=36

I use these when I travel, and in my living room if I feel like booting into a game , cheap at 40 dollars, comfy, USB, don't need any software to work on a Mac or PC. My PCs and My Macs recolonize it instantly.

They sound pretty good to, and the noise canceling on the microphone is VERY good, and they are pretty well made.

Though the only annoying thing is that from time to time, on OSX or Windows takes a minute to realize you've unplugged them and start putting sound back on your speakers.

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I ended up going for a Samson SR850 headphones and an Antlion Modmic for my boys' gaming. After years of cruddy Yapster-style headsets from the likes of Logitech and Microsoft, this combo provides outstanding fidelity and appears to be fairly robust. I got the headphones in a two pack for $65 in Canada (revolutionaudio.ca) and the Modmic is $33 (modmic.com)

This seems like a reasonable solution, but if you're on a Macbook Pro, you'll still need something like this for the mic and the headphones, correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I really just want something all-in-one. And the logitech ones all seem like they stop working after awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.