Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
That was hard to say in one breath lol I have always had the 13 Air I love the form factory, but I loved the retina display so switched 13 retina and do love the display and resolution. However it is starting to feel heavy. I was hoping the new Air would be retina but of course it is not. I really want to go back to the air again and plus its cheaper to get 512 SSD which I miss from my old air and I downgraded to 256. I like having the extra space.

Anyone else do this or thinking of it? what are your pros and cons?

Andyvarberg

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Sweden
I travelled the world on business a great deal and got a 11" Air because of ease of use on the flights, its lightweight and size and form factor. I loved it and cannot even contemplate a heavier machine ever again.

I have no need for a retina screen, but one day th airs will have them of course. My power needs are met also with the Airs. I understand people need more grunt, but then that is why apple have iMacs.

I should have my souped up brand new 13" arriving today and I cannot wait. I travel a little less now, wanted a little more screen space too, so that is why I chose 13" this time. A perfect size.

Just my thoughts. Think you need to get the Air again though, retina or not.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I travelled the world on business a great deal and got a 11" Air because of ease of use on the flights, its lightweight and size and form factor. I loved it and cannot even contemplate a heavier machine ever again.

I have no need for a retina screen, but one day th airs will have them of course. My power needs are met also with the Airs. I understand people need more grunt, but then that is why apple have iMacs.

I should have my souped up brand new 13" arriving today and I cannot wait. I travel a little less now, wanted a little more screen space too, so that is why I chose 13" this time. A perfect size.

Just my thoughts. Think you need to get the Air again though, retina or not.

seriously. Its amazing how my thought process was like many on here when 6 months or so ago i walked into apple and said WOW 13 retina is not that much heavier and smaller footprint, however now over time it does feel rather heavy. I do like the nice display on retina but eh I need a deal lol

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Unfortunately, computers are like girlfriends/boyfriends: you only get to really know them after you've lived with them for a while.

On the positive side, if your notebook is not really suited to you, you don't need a court order to get it out of your life.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
seriously. Its amazing how my thought process was like many on here when 6 months or so ago i walked into apple and said WOW 13 retina is not that much heavier and smaller footprint, however now over time it does feel rather heavy. I do like the nice display on retina but eh I need a deal lol

I am too much in love with my MBA to be helpful. I'm not objective.

The retina is gorgeous. I play with it every time I am in the Apple Store. At the end of my play date I lift it a few inches from the display table. It feels so heavy to me. I was there Monday playing with all the goodies. the retina still feels like a boat anchor to me. Others may feel differently.

I really like light weight electronics. Yesterday I carried an iPod Touch to avoid the weight of an iPad mini. The mini really needs retina to justify he heft.

I hope you find what you need.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am too much in love with my MBA to be helpful. I'm not objective.

The retina is gorgeous. I play with it every time I am in the Apple Store. At the end of my play date I lift it a few inches from the display table. It feels so heavy to me. I was there Monday playing with all the goodies. the retina still feels like a boat anchor to me. Others may feel differently.

I really like light weight electronics. Yesterday I carried an iPod Touch to avoid the weight of an iPad mini. The mini really needs retina to justify he heft.

I hope you find what you need.

Susan... I wouldn't change a word above to describe how I feel about MBAs. I owned 2 previous MBPs (before the new form factor)... but since 2009, I have bought a new MBA every year. All (except one that was dropped and destroyed) is still in operation by a family member.

For my usage... MBA is the premiere laptop sold by Apple.

/Jim

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I have had a 15" retina and a 2013 air. I prefer the air due to battery life but other than battery the retina is a far higher end computer. You may want to see what the haswell rmbp has before deciding

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.