Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Just wondering, I backed up my phone that was on iOS beta 4 back to iOS 6.

Obviously, I currently can't get my backup while on iOS 6. But what I am wondering is, when I update to the FINAL/PUBLIC version of iOS 7, will I be able to restore it from my backup that I did while i had the iOS 7 beta?

Probably a dumb question, but thanks.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I would personally make a back up just before upgrading to iOS:7 (GM release) That way everything is as up-to-date as can be.

Even better would be to do a fresh install, so no stale information is carried across.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
assuming that you're a registered developer

iOS 7 can restore iOS 6 backup
iOS 6 can not restore iOS 7 backup

if you're not a registered developer and you loaded iOS 7... "that way"
you won't be able to restore iOS 7 backup until public release cause there is no way to restore your phone w/o wiping your phone and going through activation first.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
...when I update to the FINAL/PUBLIC version of iOS 7, will I be able to restore it from my backup that I did while i had the iOS 7 beta?

Short answer: Yes.
But you might have some very minor jerks here and there because you are essentially using a backup that was created on buggy software.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Restoring a backup from the beta onto the final release should be perfectly fine. App data, settings, etc are backed up. The core operating system is not. It's POSSIBLE for a bug to sneak through, but kind of unlikely. People just like to do a full wipe because it makes them feel better.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Just set it up as a new iphone first, then restore from backup.

(I used to be afraid to set up as new, but, all your apps/photos/texts/settings are all in the backup, you can do this after setting it up as a new phone).

dsmdc5

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Just set it up as a new iphone first, then restore from backup.

(I used to be afraid to set up as new, but, all your apps/photos/texts/settings are all in the backup, you can do this after setting it up as a new phone).

Is this considered a fresh/clean install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.