Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I personally believe so, our universe is too large for us to be alone. I believe there are some sort of life out there.

Thoughts anyone?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think it's statistically inevitable but the distances involved mean any interaction is unlikely.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Considering we're just a small speck of dust compared to the entire universe, I'm sure there's something out there that we would, by our definition, consider as a life form. Who knows what though.

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
There might be...but even if there was life form elsewhere it's million/billion lightyears away!!!

I hope we have a some sort of contact with another life form in my lifetime :)

----------

Oh, and interestingly they found some water resources on another planet or moon.

I'll try to find the link and update!

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
After seeing the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo, I do believe that they are already here among us.:p

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I believe in other life forms. As others have said, the universe is too large for us to be the only type of intelligent life. I don't think we will ever develop the type of technology to visit or even discover "alien" life. However, since the universe is infinite, and thus the possibilities and vartiations of life forms and intelligence levels are infinite, I do believe it is possible that there are other forms of life far more advanced than us and they could have the technology to visit us. Whether that would ever happen, who knows.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
It's Life Jim, But Not As We Know It

My speculation is that given the incredible vastness of the universe, life most likely exists out there somewhere. Now whether that life manifests itself as simple bacteria-like organisms or in a multi-cellular form, that's up for debate. We may find that life is fairly common, but that intelligent, sentient life is not. After all, as stated in the Fermi Paradox- "where is everyone". As a species we have gone from the development of flight to actually having a probe leave the solar system in just over a 100 years. If another technological species was, say, 10,000 or 100,000 years ahead of us, we most likely would have seen evidence for them by now. Of course, someone has to be first, and maybe we are it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There has to be life out there. Even the Bible acknowledges this fact.

PRSI Note: Please keep religious belief debates outside the thread. I am just stating a visually accepted verse which does note that life does exist outside Earth.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Nope. I am the only life form that exists. All of you are merely NPC's in MY world. Coincidentally, science backs up my claim as being the center of the Universe.:D

I subscribe to the Red Dwarf vision of the Universe. There are no aliens, but lots and lots of GELFs (Genetically Engineered Life Form) that will have going to have resulted from human expansion into space.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I certainly believe its possible. Though I have my doubts about ever making contact with any potential intelligent life unless it existed within our own solar system.

----------

There has to be life out there. Even the Bible acknowledges this fact.

PRSI Note: Please keep religious belief debates outside the thread. I am just stating a visually accepted verse which does note that life does exist outside Earth.

I'm quite versed in the KJV, but I'm drawing a blank on the reference you make.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have no doubt that 'some other form of [living] life' may well easily exist somewhere in the vast, uncountable numbers of galaxies and planetary systems that we have yet to find out about, or learn about. The conditions for some sort of 'life' - as we understand the term - may well have existed perhaps more widely than we supposed. Then again, 'life' may exist at a level that we could fail to recognise as such, because either outr instruments, or our definitions of same, could well be lacking.

Now, whether such 'life' (living or otherwise) could be classed as sentient is, of course, another matter entirely.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I certainly believe its possible. Though I have my doubts about ever making contact with any potential intelligent life unless it existed within our own solar system.

----------

Exodus 22 vs 21 "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt"

But in keeping it out of the PRSI how about Silvesta Stalone or Sharon Osborne?
They are not from around here!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
They have visited. they saw no intelligent life and left us alone. took them about 20 seconds to figure it out.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

My guess is he is referring to Job 1:6 That doesn't really say much about if there is life outside of earth though, and as far as I can tell from the rest of the Bible there isn't anything that speaks to it either way as it wasn't something people were concerned with back then, so I'm not completely sure what he is referencing either.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

I'm only guessing, but I think he might be referring to Angels. There are quite a few references to them in the Bible (Genesis, Daniel, Jobs, Samuel, Revelations). If he's not implying Angels, then I too draw a blank on any other lifeforms mentioned in the Bible other the Man Upstairs himself.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

See below

I'm only guessing, but I think he might be referring to Angels. There are quite a few references to them in the Bible (Genesis, Daniel, Jobs, Samuel, Revelations). If he's not implying Angels, then I too draw a blank on any other lifeforms mentioned in the Bible other the Man Upstairs himself.

See below

My guess is he is referring to Job 1:6 That doesn't really say much about if there is life outside of earth though, and as far as I can tell from the rest of the Bible there isn't anything that speaks to it either way as it wasn't something people were concerned with back then, so I'm not completely sure what he is referencing either.

Correct.

It is referenced that the sons of God came before him (along with Satan). It is stated that Adam was prince of Earth and on of the sons of God.

Therefor it can be concluded that the other sons of God are in fact the first beings of their respective worlds.

In other versions and revisions (like Spanish RV60) the word "Son" is swapped for "Prince".

Besides the Bible, I do believe that scientifically, there has to be life out there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's my $.02.

I have no idea. I understand statistically there has to be life given the size and complexity of the universe. Taking my spiritual beliefs into account, I don't think the Bible really states one way or another.

To put it this way, God could have created life on another planet, or he could have chosen not too. My opinion on whether life exists somewhere else has no bearing on reality. :)

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I believe they could exist but not that there are any in our solar system or that they're abducting people on a daily basis.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
You would have to be naive or a religious freak to believe we're the only living beings in this vast universe. However, I would bet there is no other life forms in our solar system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.