Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechieMark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Hi All,

I'm new to MAC as I started a new job where everyone uses MAC. I'm a whizz on Windows but sadly not at all on MAC.

So..

I have this repetitive task that I have to find and replace words in Word documents and it's tedious to open each document to replace them.

I'd like to be able to replace the words in the Word documents across a number of documents all at the same time.

I'm not sure how to go about this.

Can you guys help out?

Thanks

micropig

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Command+space to Spotlight, find and run 'Automator'

Make a new workflow.

Add these actions (you can search for them by name):

- Get Specified Finder Items
- Open Word Documents
- Find and Replace Text in Word Documents
- Save Word Documents
- Close Word Documents

Set the options for which files to get and what to find and replace.

Click Run. You should see the documents popping up and changing.

jacory

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
These instructions worked great for me for individual word replacement on 1200+ documents. Thanks for that!

Now how about for adding/replacing large amounts of text (a few paragraphs) to multiple documents? Using this string of automators only causes an error when I try this. Any suggestions?

Make a new workflow.

- Open Word Documents
- Save Word Documents
- Close Word Documents

remerick

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
These instructions worked great for me for individual word replacement on 1200+ documents. Thanks for that!

Now how about for adding/replacing large amounts of text (a few paragraphs) to multiple documents? Using this string of automators only causes an error when I try this. Any suggestions?

I tried to setup the Automator as described above, but there doesn't seem to be an action for Open Word Documents or Find and Replace Text in Word Documents available in the list of options. Did you have to add anything to get these actions?

Thanks,
Bob

jacory

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
I tried to setup the Automator as described above, but there doesn't seem to be an action for Open Word Documents or Find and Replace Text in Word Documents available in the list of options. Did you have to add anything to get these actions?

Thanks,
Bob

Well, after playing with Automator for quite a while, I was able to patch something together. It only works properly 100% of the time if ALL documents are identical in the area you are adding the text. There is a find & replace text command, as well as open doc, save doc, close doc. But the find & replace only allows a certain amount of characters. So what I did was chose the section where I wanted the insert as the "find" (as many words as necessary to make it unique in the location so the insert places ONLY in that one location), in the "replace, I put that phrase again + the new text. If it was too long, I used another find & replace and repeated that same method.

So the commands I used were:
1. get specified folder items
2. get folder contents
3. open word documents
4. find and replace text in word documents
5. find and replace text in word documents
6. find and replace text in word documents
7. save word documents
8. close word documents

jacory

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks,
Bob

Sorry, didn't answer your question there, at first glance i thought you were asking if I had any luck with what i was trying to do. Those command options should definitely be in there. I'm using Automator version 2.5

Toyma

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Mexico City
Thank you so much for this!!!

You are a life-saver....it works perfectly and for me, it will be a way to speed up my work as a translator, changing all the 'common terms' on several docs at the time. I knew there was a way!

Make a new workflow.

- Open Word Documents
- Save Word Documents
- Close Word Documents

calbear7

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2006
I need to search-and-replace in over 54,000 old .doc files. Is there a way to open/s+r/save/close the files one (1) at a time instead of opening all selected .docs windows/files at once?

Well, after playing with Automator for quite a while, I was able to patch something together. It only works properly 100% of the time if ALL documents are identical in the area you are adding the text. There is a find & replace text command, as well as open doc, save doc, close doc. But the find & replace only allows a certain amount of characters. So what I did was chose the section where I wanted the insert as the "find" (as many words as necessary to make it unique in the location so the insert places ONLY in that one location), in the "replace, I put that phrase again + the new text. If it was too long, I used another find & replace and repeated that same method.

So the commands I used were:
1. get specified folder items
2. get folder contents
3. open word documents
4. find and replace text in word documents
5. find and replace text in word documents
6. find and replace text in word documents
7. save word documents
8. close word documents

wordspace

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
UK

Make a new workflow.

- Open Word Documents
- Save Word Documents
- Close Word Documents

This works a treat for me. It doesn't replace the old "Find/Replace In All Documents" that was in Word 2008, but as a batch processor it's first class. Thank you.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Sorry, didn't answer your question there, at first glance i thought you were asking if I had any luck with what i was trying to do. Those command options should definitely be in there. I'm using Automator version 2.5

Those automator actions came as part of Office 2011. Office 2016 does not include them. If you can install the full version of office 2011 (not Home and Student version), you can use them with Office 2016. Most of them still work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.