Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Popular Indie Adventure Game 'Terraria' Launches on iOS




Popular indie side-scrolling adventure game Terraria has launched for iOS, bringing a mobile optimized version of the title that was previously released on other platforms. The game includes streamlined touch controls as well as new tutorials, and features the same randomly-generated sandbox gameplay that was found in the original release of the game, such various customizable types of blocks, monsters, bosses, and NPCs.

Quote:
In Terraria, every world is unique -- from the floating islands in the sky to the deepest level of The Underworld. Adventure to the ends of the earth, and defeat villainous bosses along the way. The world is your canvas!
The game was originally released for the PC in 2011, and launched on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade early last year. Additionally, our sister site TouchArcade has shared a few details on the game. Terraria is $4.99 and can be downloaded on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Indie Adventure Game 'Terraria' Launches on iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2
snipper
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Pretty steep for an 'Indie' game.
snipper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3
bnnentertainmen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
good old memories. i have downloaded almost all of the classic games on my iphone. and i am also gonna try this one.
bnnentertainmen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
hexor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper View Post
Pretty steep for an 'Indie' game.
This thought process is why we have a bunch of crap "freemium" games. I'd much rather pay a respectable price to the developers and not be inundated with in game purchases (as long as it is a good game).
hexor is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Some guy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper View Post
Pretty steep for an 'Indie' game.
Why? You pay $10 for it on Steam, but $5 on the App Store for the same game! I've never played this game, and I never will, but $5 is not a lot.

People see to have no problems paying hundreds of dollars for a phone, but when a game on the App Store isn't $1 the world falls apart.
Some guy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
gadgetguy03
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
Why? You pay $10 for it on Steam, but $5 on the App Store for the same game! I've never played this game, and I never will, but $5 is not a lot.

People see to have no problems paying hundreds of dollars for a phone, but when a game on the App Store isn't $1 the world falls apart.
Or paying 59.99 for console games.... I've played a very good FPS on my iPad that cost 4.99.
gadgetguy03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:50 AM   #7
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I've put more hours into the Steam version of this game than I care to admit. It's a great sandbox game and even more fun playing with others. This is well worth the $5.
neuropsychguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
prehnra
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper View Post
Pretty steep for an 'Indie' game.
It is $5. Less than a movie ticket. Roughly 3 cups of coffee. 1 beer with tip at a bar.

People had to work a lot of hours to produce this game. No doubt full time, probably for 6 months or more. If you like the game, then those people should get paid. That's how we get more games.
__________________
https://futurepool.co/
prehnra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Colpeas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Rep.
Why does it look so 1992? I think the industry is going backwards these days...
__________________
iMac 12,2 (27-inch) Core i5 3,1GHz - 8GB RAM - AMD 6970M 1GB - 256GB SSD + 3TB
MacBook Air 5,2 (13-inch) Core i5 1,8GHz - 8GB RAM - Intel HD4000 - 128GB SSD
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
MacMilligan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
Why does it look so 1992? I think the industry is going backwards these days...
Because a game doesn't have to look like crysis to be fun. I think pixel graphics are great. I love the crisp visual style. Its amazing how artists can relay so much detail with 32x32px tiles. This is what's so great about the industry right now, we have so much to choose from.

This game was made by only two people in 6 months. That's quite a feat.
MacMilligan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #11
bpcookson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexor View Post
This thought process is why we have a bunch of crap "freemium" games. I'd much rather pay a respectable price to the developers and not be inundated with in game purchases (as long as it is a good game).
I disagree. Correlation != Causation. While thinking that $5 is a lot of money for a game is certainly related to the problem, the problem itself is the gross abuse of a nascent market.

You simply couldn't make additional purchases mid-game in the past. Now that you can, that market doesn't know what to do with itself and people are throwing everything they can at it. This isn't new; trial and error is a ridiculously successful method. The cream will continue rising to the top.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
Why does it look so 1992? I think the industry is going backwards these days...
Few developers are graphic designers. Design is expensive. We get pixel art because it is cheap.

It's actually really cool that we're seeing such heavy use of pixel art because it should help drive the design industry towards making more user-friendly tools. I'd argue that we're already seeing this with the increased use of vector art (think Angry Birds). It's good because we're breaking barriers for people.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:00 PM   #12
prehnra
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Few developers are graphic designers. Design is expensive. We get pixel art because it is cheap.
I don't know that pixel art is any cheaper than other forms of sprite (image) based art in games. I do think 3D animation is more expensive, because there are fewer good 3D animators out there and many have been snapped up by the big studios.

However, between more painterly sprites and pixel art, that's a toss up. Pixel art is actually harder than people think from a design standpoint, because you have to design something that people recognize immediately, using limited resources (pixels).
__________________
https://futurepool.co/
prehnra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 02:59 PM   #13
MinecraftEli3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Far out I got a free iTunes Card Code and it redeemed just fine! I got it from freeitunesforever[d0t] com
MinecraftEli3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Fine Productions Launches Puzzle Adventure Game 'The Cave' on iOS MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 5 Oct 3, 2013 12:59 PM
GOG.com Launches Digital Indie Game Store to Compete with Mac App Store and Steam MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 14 Aug 21, 2013 04:30 PM
Dungeon Plunder: an indie iOS Roguelike RPG game. Sorcerak iPhone and iPod touch Apps 7 May 24, 2013 03:24 PM
Vanished: The Island - indie adventure game Release Date: 4/28/2013 Sunday!!!! staffordworks iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 24, 2013 10:07 PM
Star Run for iOS/iPhone adventure game Nyssow iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 15, 2012 04:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC