Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glitch82

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
This morning I experienced the first alarm bug. None of my alarms went off on time, and one alarm that I had set for 6:45 am went off exactly two hours later. I am so upset.

Unfortunately it forgot to take a screenshot of the alarm screen (while it's going off) with the status bar clock for proof.

But, even my notification screen shows the wrong alarm time for the upcoming alarm. I don't have any alarm set for 10:00 AM!

I am so upset. I've always used my iPhone as an alarm clock and now it's unreliable.

On a slightly unrelated note, why doesn't autocorrect capitalize iPhone like it used to? Now I have to capitalize the P manually.

3u8udate.jpg

je9une3a.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've never had an issue with my alarm in iOS 7.
I don't think I've noticed whether it auto corrects to iPhone with the P capitalized. Real issue there I suppose, for you.

Also, perhaps your alarms finally realized how incredibly anal you were about your time before 10 am and figured you needed to take a break.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The alarm clocks in iOS have always been unreliable.
Especially after daylight-savings time changes and year changes.
They'll fix one thing and then break something else.
I do have the same thing as you though where my Today screen is showing alarms that do not exist but those alarms never actually go off so it's not a major concern.

glitch82

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
It's a beta.

I know that, but how hard is it to make an alarm go off at the right time? It's just a freakin' alarm, not a guidance routine for a rocket.

I didn't miss any appointments or anything. I just assumed incorrectly that an alarm is something that is so basic and rudimentary to a phone's OS that there is no way it wouldn't work properly. I was obviously wrong about the last part.

And everybody's saying that this is likely the last beta before a final release. Really?

Come on Apple, I'm pulling for you.

----------

Try deleting and recreating them.

I'm sure that will work. The issue is how did I trigger the bug in the first place and how can I be sure that I won't trigger it again inadvertently when I actually need the alarm? I hope Apple mentions something about an alarm fix in the release notes of the next iOS 7 release, beta or final.

jww062

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
I know that, but how hard is it to make an alarm go off at the right time? It's just a freakin' alarm, not a guidance routine for a rocket.

I didn't miss any appointments or anything. I just assumed incorrectly that an alarm is something that is so basic and rudimentary to a phone's OS that there is no way it wouldn't work properly. I was obviously wrong about the last part.

And everybody's saying that this is likely the last beta before a final release. Really?

Come on Apple, I'm pulling for you.

----------

I'm sure that will work. The issue is how did I trigger the bug in the first place and how can I be sure that I won't trigger it again inadvertently when I actually need the alarm? I hope Apple mentions something about an alarm fix in the release notes of the next iOS 7 release, beta or final.

The betas are released publicly so that developers can test their apps with iOS 7. So right now, it's not a priority for Apple to fix the alarm clock during the beta process. Why? No apps interact directly with the alarm clock function. They concentrate on things like the sharing by email/text/Twitter/Facebook functionality, or the calendar access functionality. Why? Some apps interact with these.

But other than the system time (which is handled outside of the actual clock app anyway), no apps interact with anything related to the clock app. As you said, it's probably something easier to fix, so why waste their time now when they'd be taking away their time from focusing on really what the point of the these developer betas is -- so that devs can improve their apps?

glitch82

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Odd suggestion but what time zone is your phone set to?

New York, and I live in Florida. So it's EDT or GMT: -5.

I turned off automatic time zones so that the GPS doesn't eat up my battery. It would be interesting to see if the bug is related to that.

Another thing is those alarm clocks are modified, not originally set. Meaning they were set to some other time before and I edited them to their current times, also giving them labels within the same edit. So these are all potential factors for triggering the bug.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
This morning I experienced the first alarm bug. None of my alarms went off on time, and one alarm that I had set for 6:45 am went off exactly two hours later. I am so upset.

Unfortunately it forgot to take a screenshot of the alarm screen (while it's going off) with the status bar clock for proof.

But, even my notification screen shows the wrong alarm time for the upcoming alarm. I don't have any alarm set for 10:00 AM!

I am so upset. I've always used my iPhone as an alarm clock and now it's unreliable.

On a slightly unrelated note, why doesn't autocorrect capitalize iPhone like it used to? Now I have to capitalize the P manually.

If you understand there is a bug report it to Apple through your developer account. That's the main goal of beta testing, so that bugs can be reported by developers and solved by Apple before the GM.

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013

To fix the capitalization mistake, go into settings-general-reset-and reset the keyboard dictionary. Then it'll be back to normal :)

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Talk about a set schedule!

I was thinking the same thing. Talk about being your iPhone's bitch. ;)

Beta is as beta does, probably just need to delete and remake them. Never rely on your beta device, always have a backup plan.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
New York, and I live in Florida. So it's EDT or GMT: -5.

I turned off automatic time zones so that the GPS doesn't eat up my battery. It would be interesting to see if the bug is related to that.

Another thing is those alarm clocks are modified, not originally set. Meaning they were set to some other time before and I edited them to their current times, also giving them labels within the same edit. So these are all potential factors for triggering the bug.

Automatic time doesn't use GPS. It uses the time that the nearby cellphone towers broadcast(or a time server for wifi iPads, not 100% sure for the iPad though).

AnotherBrian

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
It works for me everyday. Maybe Apple is using it's intelligence in iOS7 and it thinks you should do some things on your own.

imaginex20

macrumors 65832
Jun 17, 2009
Wow why even have alarms for daily routines. It should come natural unless you have Alzheimer's (no disrespect). All is needed is an alarm to wake me up....

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Then why is it under "Location Services" ?

Cellphone towers relay the location - thats why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS or aGPS, is a system that can under certain conditions improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF), of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones, as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 requirement to make the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
On beta 5 I had this weird thing happen... (I didn't have this many alarms on, I think I had one of each distinct time)

Attachments

• IMG_0936.PNG
    IMG_0936.PNG
    87.8 KB · Views: 195

glitch82

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Automatic time doesn't use GPS. It uses the time that the nearby cellphone towers broadcast(or a time server for wifi iPads, not 100% sure for the iPad though).

It does. If you enable it and check nude location services you'll periodically see the GPS purple arrow indicating it's active. And it's active A LOT. I've tested it and it saves me about 3 hours of battery a day on average, and I'm not exaggerating.

----------

To fix the capitalization mistake, go into settings-general-reset-and reset the keyboard dictionary. Then it'll be back to normal :)

Thanks! That fixed it for sure. I'm also disappointed slightly that I can't curse repeatedly in texts and documents without retyping words half the time, but HEY maybe being a nicer guy for a week or two while my keyboard adapts isn't so bad. ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Woa!!!

I was 2 hours late for work today because my alarm was gone! I thought maybe I accidentally deleted it somehow because it wasn't in my phone, yet a bunch of old old old alarms showed up.

glitch82

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
If you understand there is a bug report it to Apple through your developer account. That's the main goal of beta testing, so that bugs can be reported by developers and solved by Apple before the GM.

I totally would but I'm not a developer anymore. I had a developer account for 4 years and finally stopped paying after many failed iphone development projects.

ARGH it didn't auto-capitalize iphone even after resetting the keyboard! That's so weird. It did right after resetting it and now 5 minutes later it's back to letting it stay lower case.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 7 has random bugs like this, that's why it's not a STABLE release, it doesn't always work as expected, please don't get upset if iOS 7 glitches. iOS 6 is the newest stable version. :(

Edit: If you're not a developter why do you have it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.