Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Flickr Releases Major Update to iOS App, Bringing Live Filters and Professional Editing Tools

Yahoo's image and video hosting website Flickr has released a major update to its iOS app, adding a number of features that will allow it to compete with the likes of Facebook's Instagram and Google's Snapseed.

The update, which is live in the App Store now, introduces a "completely new photo taking experience" with live filters and editing.
Quote:
Live Filters let you see how your photo looks while you take it. Swiping through live filters, you can choose composition grids, focus lock and exposure points to better set up your shot. Even our preview tiles let you see what your shot looks like live.

All of our filters are also customizable after you've taken the photo. You don't have to leave the camera and lose focus on your perfectly melting ice cream shot. In addition to our magic wand, we're adding all the advanced tools so you can enhance, crop, sharpen, balance color, use Levels, add vignette and more - for free. You now have a complete photo studio in your hands.
Unlike Instagram, which features fixed filters, Flickr allows users to tweak individual aspects, such as the contrast or brightness, in order to get the image they desire. The update also removes the paywall for Flickr's professional editing tools, so photos can be enhanced, cropped and sharpened for free. The interface has also received a slight revamp, with new transitions present across the entire app.

In May, the web version of Flickr received a major revamp*and users were given 1 TB of storage space as standard. The new Flickr app is free from the [Direct Link], but the Android version has yet to receive an update.

(Thanks, Arthur!)

Article Link: Flickr Releases Major Update to iOS App, Bringing Live Filters and Professional Editing Tools
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
nostodnayr
macrumors newbie

And still inexplicably unavailable in the Japanese App Store. Unfortunate.
nostodnayr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
RawBert
macrumors 68000

The update's not major enough. Still no iPad support. Pass...
I'll stick with FlickStackr.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4
DragonJade
macrumors 6502

I'd like to see either Yahoo or Apple come up with a way to upload all of my photos from iPhoto to my Flickr account while maintaining the folders I have.
DragonJade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Nice update for Flickr, but I really only use the app to follow and comment on my contacts images. Other than that, I don't really use the app to it's full potential since I do not upload any of my iPhone images to my photostream.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
filmantopia
macrumors regular

That ice cream looks amazing.
filmantopia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
viggen61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBert View Post
The update's not major enough. Still no iPad support.
+1 I still can't believe no native iPad support!

2 PMG4 MDDs, PMG3 Pismo
viggen61 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen61 View Post
+1 I still can't believe no native iPad support!

+2 first thing I thought when I saw major iOS update was.... iPad support?!?! And no.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion