Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AppleCare Support Employees Begin Training on iOS 7

AppleCare employees have begun training on support issues related to iOS 7, according to 9to5Mac. The site claims the training must be completed by the second week in September, when Apple is expected to unveil the final version of iOS 7 for launch in the middle of the following week.

Because of significant changes to the user interface in iOS 7, Apple is reportedly increasing the hours of part-time AppleCare support staff and requiring Mac and OS X AppleCare technicians to cross train in iOS 7 in order to be ready for heavy anticipated call volume.
Quote:
The iOS 7 training focuses on some of the more critical features of iOS. Apple seems to want to push the Find my iPhone Activation Lock feature. This option requires the customer's iCloud username and password for an iOS Device to be inputted to active a found iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

[...]

Other features that AppleCare will heavily push and become knowledgable about include the new iCloud Photo Sharing options, the redesigned Camera app, the more feature-rich Safari browser, Control Center, and AirDrop file-sharing.
Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps.

The final version of iOS 7 is expected to be unveiled on September 10 at the media event for the iPhone 5S and 5C introductions. Apple typically releases the new version of iOS the following week, just ahead of the launch of the new iPhone model.

Article Link: AppleCare Support Employees Begin Training on iOS 7
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Last edited by JaySoul; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
JaySoul is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to buying a block of time from a scalper who books the all the genius appointments so i can figure out ios7
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #4
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Looking forward to buying a block of time from a scalper who books the all the genius appointments so i can figure out ios7
Its going to be easy. Its pretty much iOS6 repainted and edged out.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Or you can spend some time with it after release and maybe pick up a few hints from here at MacRumors....
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
weing
macrumors regular

The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.
weing is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

I guess this means Apple is definitely moving forward with iO7 and abandoning the elegant simplicity of iOS 6.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

really? training for iOS7? Its basically the same damn OS with a fresh coat of paint....

i fail to see how complicated ControlCenter is..
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weing View Post
The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.
Well, multitasking is much better than in iOS 6. Also you have access to all your settings such as Wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, by sliding from the bottom. The interface is far more minimalistic and Safari is a welcome change. Just about everything has been improved, and IMHO it's still just as easy to pick up as previous iOS iterations.

I don't really think it's largely pointless, and I don't think it'll alienate users. Finally, iPhones will have really great software to accompany great hardware. It seems most people's gripes are with the icons, not with functionality.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

iOS 7 is still welcome, but I can imagine that Apple will change actual functionality verrrrry slowwwwwly.

Last edited by JaySoul; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
JaySoul is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by weing View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not..
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Obi Wan Kenobi
macrumors regular

[QUOTE/]
Because of significant changes to the user interface in iOS 7, Apple is reportedly increasing the hours of part-time AppleCare support staff and requiring Mac and OS X AppleCare technicians to cross train in iOS 7 in order to be ready for heavy anticipated call volume.
Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps.
[/QUOTE]

So it's only cosmetic changes then?

If the changes are only cosmetic, why is all this training necessary?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:37 AM   #13
arbitter
macrumors member

Jeeez, what's everyone's problem here?

Kind of logical that you need to train employees where customers come to for questions isn't it. It might "just be" more a cosmetical overhaul, there is definitely a lot of change from iOS 6 other than only the design. It's not because everyone on this site is up to date with iOS 7, that other people should magically know all the nifty features as well.
arbitter is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #14
thaifood
macrumors 6502

Honestly, if you can learn to use iOS 6 you should have no issues adjusting to iOS 7. People whine about some of the most minor things...
thaifood is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I think iOS 7 has enough features that sets it apart from previous OS,
so this moves makes sense to me.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

At first, when I saw the iOS 7 logo, I thought beta 7 was finally out. I'm sadly mistaken
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerr69 View Post
Its going to be easy. Its pretty much iOS6 repainted and edged out.
But yet some people are saying that people won't know how to use it...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:51 AM   #18
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Assuming iOS 7 launches before the new phones and assuming a decent turnout of people lining up for the iPhone 5S, I wonder how many people show up when you use the Dropbox feature. It will be a high concentration of iPhone users at one place.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:53 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
Assuming iOS 7 launches before the new phones and assuming a decent turnout of people lining up for the iPhone 5S, I wonder how many people show up when you use the Dropbox feature. It will be a high concentration of iPhone users at one place.
I can see a lot of people using the AirDrop feature -- in queues/lines, on buses, in malls -- just so chat with strangers or say hi or even comment on someone good-looking.
158273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:53 AM   #20
TommyA6
macrumors 6502

When iOS 7 is finally released in a few weeks, iPhones will finally have a beautifully designed software that matches the (beautiful) hardware of the device. Not to say iOS 6 is ugly, but the 7 works so much better with the exterior.
TommyA6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #21
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrand7 View Post
At first, when I saw the iOS 7 logo, I thought beta 7 was finally out. I'm sadly mistaken
It's weird. Maybe there is not going to be a beta 7. Maybe the next release is the GM.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
It's weird. Maybe there is not going to be a beta 7. Maybe the next release is the GM.
we are too close to release to have a beta 7, gm is next.
mattburley7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:57 AM   #23
attila
macrumors 6502

I wonder how they will respond to the question:

"Why does it look like ****?"
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post

So it's only cosmetic changes then?

If the changes are only cosmetic, why is all this training necessary?
It only makes sense to have support staff speaking the same language and using the same talking points with customers.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #25
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.
Functionality hasn't changed but LOTS of new features have been added which makes the user experience much different.

What is wrong with you people?

----------

I like 50% of the people on this board.

I'm a half "full" kind of guy.
JayJayAbels is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion